North Texas on MSNBC

letsgiveacheer

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Kind of like calling us NTSU.

Probably more akin to referring to the old SWC schools.  A lot of USC and UCLA folks haven't fully accepted Colorado or Utah as truly conference mates.  I assume the same goes for other members of the league.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Kind of like calling us NTSU.

No, the NTSU flubs are in an astronomically different level of STUPID.

We were NTSU from 1961-1988.  The way I see it, we are FURTHER REMOVED from the name (32 years ago) than the actual age of the name (27 years).

The moronic, dumbass media mouths that keep calling us that are revealing one of two things: either 1) They are stupid on a stupid, moronic level, or 2) they have some personal vendetta against us.

I get borderline furious when I hear or read the NTSU name in a current release.  If I were working in UNT athletics, I would make a personal mission to RELENTLESSLY inform and educate every possible sports outlet in America about our brand.  Starting with the departments/reporters of the opponents on our immediate schedule.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, greenminer said:

No, the NTSU flubs are in an astronomically different level of STUPID.

We were NTSU from 1961-1988.  The way I see it, we are FURTHER REMOVED from the name (32 years ago) than the actual age of the name (27 years).

The moronic, dumbass media mouths that keep calling us that are revealing one of two things: either 1) They are stupid on a stupid, moronic level, or 2) they have some personal vendetta against us.

I get borderline furious when I hear or read the NTSU name in a current release.  If I were working in UNT athletics, I would make a personal mission to RELENTLESSLY inform and educate every possible sports outlet in America about our brand.  Starting with the departments/reporters of the opponents on our immediate schedule.

Only smu people call us that. That and NTCC saying we were and still are a community college lol

• Eye Roll 1

47 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Only smu people call us that. That and NTCC saying we were and still are a community college lol

It is absolutely not just SMU.  Here's an NFL guy tweeting about Jeffrey in 2018. Waldman is based out of Atlanta.

...how about this April 2020 write up by Tracy Ringolsby, who covers Wyoming BBall for Sports Illustrated:

Mykell Robinson, a 6-6, 190 pound shooting forward from Sunrise Christian Academy, announced his commitment to North Texas State.

On December 20, 2017, Mean Green Men's BBall played @ Georgetown.  According to their radio play-by-play that night, we were North Texas STATE.  It was not a one-off mistake.  It was consistent the entire evening.

Remember that 12/5/2015 MBBall loss to the Salukis?   Check out the S. Illini coverage from Jeff Gordon HERE

The Salukis started the season 8-1, highlighted by its 95-63 victory at North Texas State. This was their best start since 2006.

Sure, beating the Not So Mean Green aren't a special this season -- North Texas State ranks 301st in the latest CBSSports.com RPI calculation -- but 30-point road victories for SIU have been rare.

If these REPORTERS did their job, they'd read a few press releases/game summaries of their opponents week-by-week and I WOULD THINK, would see the correct names.  But, apparently, that's expecting too much.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

You do a rebrand and the public doesn't get it, it's not the public's fault ... it is yours.

It's both.

I get what you're saying: there is a part of our department that does this kind of thing.  Their title escapes me.

But, if you're in sports reporting, blogging, or broadcasting and you call us by that name, it just seems defeating.  What was the scope of your game prep? Shouldn't it have included a brief visit to our webpage/roster? Maybe read a couple articles from our beat writer? How about watching a couple videos that cover/summarize our recent play?

....any of these things seem in line with THEIR job.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It's both.

I get what you're saying: there is a part of our department that does this kind of thing.  Their title escapes me.

But, if you're in sports reporting, blogging, or broadcasting and you call us by that name, it just seems defeating.  What was the scope of your game prep? Shouldn't it have included a brief visit to our webpage/roster? Maybe read a couple articles from our beat writer? How about watching a couple videos that cover/summarize our recent play?

....any of these things seem in line with THEIR job.

What's really infuriating is I've heard folks who may not even have been alive when we were still NTSU call us North Texas State.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, CMJ said:

What's really infuriating is I've heard folks who may not even have been alive when we were still NTSU call us North Texas State.

Its a throw back to Mean Joe when he played for the school formally known as North Texas _____. He made us famous, athletically. That's what the slackers cling to.

Edited by Hunter Green

4 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Its a throw back to Mean Joe when he played for the school formally known as North Texas _____. He made us famous, athletically. That's what the slackers cling to.

I'm not sure that's really the case anymore.  Most people that never saw him play (so anyone under about 50) don't even know he went to NT.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not sure that's really the case anymore.  Most people that never saw him play (so anyone under about 50) don't even know he went to NT.

Most people never saw Roger Stauback play either, but they all know he went to Navy. I think you could put Mean Joe and Roger in the same sentence. Players of that stature are known where they went to school.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Most people never saw Roger Stauback play either, but they all know he went to Navy. I think you could put Mean Joe and Roger in the same sentence. Players of that stature are known where they went to school.

I did not.

I did not know Mean Joe was from Denton until I got to Denton.

Something to consider: maybe others don't know that much when the player is not a part of their hometown NFL team.

Edited by greenminer

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

I did not.

I did not know Mean Joe was from Denton until I got to Denton.

Something to consider: maybe others don't know that much when the player is not a part of their hometown NFL team.

Then they're not much of a sports fan.

• Eye Roll 2

9 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

They know he went to the Naval Academy because they have two high profile games a year that he often attends (Notre Dame & West Point).  If not for those, few folks under the age of 50 or so would know that is where he attended.

12 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Then they're not much of a sports fan.

Not gonna spitball about this with you.

Let's just say I spent way too much time in my teens reading about college sports and following my NFL teams (Montana/Aikman era).  Stauback and Mean Joe were known legends, but their school info was never in my mind.

I fit @CMJ's point: I'm under 50.