Big 10 Cancels 2020 Football Season

UNTFan23

14 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

How would the Big 10 stop them?  

Easy. Don't pay them their share of tv monies, which was $51 million last year. Suspend all their programs from BIG 10 competition . Tell them to hit the road Jack, and don't come back no more. Nebraska has brought nothing to the BIG 10. It all boils down to money. What would it cost Nebraska to bolt from the conference vs. how much they would lose by not playing football. Also, its not a given that the BIG 12, ACC, and SEC will play a complete season even it they try. I have a hard time believing that the Virus is not going to impact their efforts. They seem to be taking a wait and see approach as to how returning students will fare. Similar to a canary in a coal mine. For those of you too young to know, back in the day coal miners took a caged canary with them  down in the mine to warn them of poison gas. If the bird died, the knew to get out of the mine.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

There has to be a domino effect because of the liability issue.  Organizations with in your industry are shutting down to protect students.  I believe all will have to follow.

Are there similar liability issues if there is an outbreak in a dorm or in the student population in general at a university?  How is that being handled?

38 minutes ago, keith said:

Are there similar liability issues if there is an outbreak in a dorm or in the student population in general at a university?  How is that being handled?

I believe if other schools are shutting down because of Covid then yes. An issue with Covid is once you are cured what are the long term problems which we are starting to see. A hold harmless agreement would protect all schools and athletic programs from being sued. I don’t know if they are doing this. 

Edited by Wag Tag

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

We are P5 now, and Judy better not mess up this chance today

She's putting her job on the line today.   

It's a win-win for C-USA football fans.   Have a successful football season, and we'll have a lot of additional eyeballs on C-USA!   Botch it, with a bunch of players/coaches/fans coming down with it, and she's gone.

Unfortunately, she's putting the health of our student athletes at risk as well.    Although, listening to the players, it sounds like they really want to play regardless.  Risks be damned.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

On 8/12/2020 at 1:43 AM, TheTastyGreek said:

The Big 10 has just under half a billion dollars in annual broadcast contracts with FOX and ESPN

If they deliver games, they get their money. Maybe slightly less if it's spring... But given the screaming desire for football on TV even in normal times, compared to where things stand now, or 6 months from now when the pipeline of episodic TV is almost totally dry... Maybe not. 

For anyone asking, rhetorically or otherwise, "Why is it safe to play a conference schedule but cancel OOC games?" - that's your answer. It's not. But... Play the conference season, and you deliver enough broadcast content to secure your half a billion dollar check for the year. 

The College Football Playoff only pays out a little over $65 million to each major conference. That's about 1/8th of what the Big 10 will get for delivering the contracted amount of regular season games to FOX and ESPN. 

I mean we all know it’s about the money, I just shake my head when I think they’ll play for no reason other than for the schools to get paid. Granted that a lot of cheese but damn they’ll really be playing for no competitive reason other than a BIG10 championship 🤔

• RV 1