NCAA Players #WeWantToPlay

UNTLifer

College football saw its fair share of opt outs so far, notably with players like Micah Parsons (Penn State), Rashod Bateman (Minnesota) and Caleb Farley (Virginia), but others are speaking up with their wishes to play.

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leading the charge of “#WeWantToPlay” on social media, with others like Ohio State’s Justin Fields and North Carolina’s Sam Howell following suit.

“The #WeWantToPlay movement is incredible,” CBS Sports’ Barrett Sallee tweeted. “So great to see players stand up for themselves, take ownership, and show that they want to be out there. Proof that it’s irresponsible to tell people what you think they should think rather than listening to what they actually do think.”

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Trevor-Lawrence-college-football-players-we-want-to-play-movement-Justin-Fields-Sam-Howell-Ian-Book-COVID-19-season-cancelation-150060638/#150060638_1

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

Let the players vote. If they want to play, take all appropriate precautions, and let them play. Those who want to opt out, let them do so without loss of scholarship or eligibility. This is a great opportunity for the G5's to get the exposure (no pun intended) they need and covet.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

Let the players vote. If they want to play, take all appropriate precautions, and let them play. Those who want to opt out, let them do so without loss of scholarship or eligibility. This is a great opportunity for the G5's to get the exposure (no pun intended) they need and covet.

The challenge with this is that what if you don't have enough players to fill out a 2-deep depth chart? What happens if during the season one or more players contract COVID-19 and those players plus any players and staff members exposed must then be quarantined where they don't have enough players to field a team? A big concern the universities have is that they are worried that they could be sued if a player or staff member gets sick.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't think there is anyway that fall football occurs.  

If it does, those teams that play would lose a year of eligibility for players; while those that sitout will gain a year of training for their players.   

I am not sure if I were a senior football player, I would want to play my last year in empty stadiums.  

• Upvote 4

I love the players taking it into their own hands. Leaving such crucial decisions about your financial, personal, family and profession future in the hands of the unorganized incompetent leadership of the governing body is crazy. Especially when you yield power. No need to sit back and take it. 

But if everything gets cancelled you will see the biggest black market of college football games happening under the table. Enough players of many programs in the SEC will find a way to suit up, prove themselves to get drafted to the next level.  They will gain legions of fans across the country and create their own superstar brand and image.  We’re in the age of the influencers people can sell anything and will follow anything.  Mix in a starved audience and leaders driving this thing from the South!  Bingo. We will have some sort of football watching to do this fall. 

We’re  Americans We find a way whether it surprises, satisfies or pisses you off.  Go USA!  Go CUSA!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3