Shakeem Alcindor No Longer On Roster

BillySee58

That puts us at 12 scholarships being used out of an available 13. With 4 key seniors this year it would be nice to opportunistically use that spot on a transfer who becomes available. Let him sit this year then be in position to take over a starting spot after Hamlet, Reese, Bell, and Simmons graduate.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Good luck finding a good player that wants to sit a year.

I don't understand the logic anyway, NT will have a lot of ships to give next year; it makes more sense to get someone in here and play them and give them some experience.  

NT returns three starters, it is not like they couldn't find someone that could contribute or even start next year. 

The only way signing a player and holding them out makes sense, is that player would not be eligible.  It would seem much better to sign a grad transfer that can immediately help the team. 

NT has a real opportunity to be very good next season.   That is the goal, not stockpiling players.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Good luck finding a good player that wants to sit a year.

I don't understand the logic anyway, NT will have a lot of ships to give next year; it makes more sense to get someone in here and play them and give them some experience.  

I’m confused by parts of your post. It’s not a matter of finding a player who WANTS to sit out. I am proposing looking at players who HAVE to sit out a year due to transfer rules, and who would potentially have multiple years of eligibility. 

NT returns three starters, it is not like they couldn't find someone that could contribute or even start next year. 

Who are some guys eligible this season, not currently on a roster, who we could add and would compete for a starting spot?

The only way signing a player and holding them out makes sense, is that player would not be eligible.

Right, this is what I was saying. What other circumstance did you think I was proposing? That we sign someone who is immediately eligible and ask them to take a standard redshirt?

It would seem much better to sign a grad transfer that can immediately help the team. 

NT has a real opportunity to be very good next season.   That is the goal, not stockpiling players.   

Again, who is an eligible grad transfer currently available who you think could upgrade our roster? There are some intriguing sit-out guys in the transfer portal currently but I wasn’t able to see any potential starters out of the remaining grad transfers.

We lost a guy who wasn’t going to play meaningful minutes. If our coaches didn’t think the other 12 scholarship players were enough to form a solid rotation then I think they would have moved on from Alcindor months ago when the grad transfer and JUCO market was still ripe.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:14 AM, BillySee58 said:

I’m confused by parts of your post. It’s not a matter of finding a player who WANTS to sit out. I am proposing looking at players who HAVE to sit out a year due to transfer rules, and who would potentially have multiple years of eligibility. 

Who are some guys eligible this season, not currently on a roster, who we could add and would compete for a starting spot?

Right, this is what I was saying. What other circumstance did you think I was proposing? That we sign someone who is immediately eligible and ask them to take a standard redshirt?

Again, who is an eligible grad transfer currently available who you think could upgrade our roster? There are some intriguing sit-out guys in the transfer portal currently but I wasn’t able to see any potential starters out of the remaining grad transfers.

We lost a guy who wasn’t going to play meaningful minutes. If our coaches didn’t think the other 12 scholarship players were enough to form a solid rotation then I think they would have moved on from Alcindor months ago when the grad transfer and JUCO market was still ripe.

I am sure there are plenty of players that will be available that could compete for a starter position.  Strange question, no I do not have a list of players that would be available.   

Losing Alcindor was not a loss, but a gain.  Maybe you know when the decision was made that Alcindor would not return happened.  I sure don't, he could have just made the decision or he could have been told months ago there was not a place for him. 

I do hope Alcindor finds a place to play if he desires.  NT is playing ball at a fairly high level now and you have to be good to get minutes.  Alcindor might excel at a lower level. 

Sure if a good transfer that has to set a year is available, that would fit.  However, it is more logical to me if a quality player immediately eligible is available that is the preferred choice.

NT must replace 5 players next year including 3 or 4 starters.  Seems to be it would be much preferable to get someone in this year and get him playing experience, than worry about  the 2021 team,  

Of course, it will come down to who is available and  NT can sign.  McCasland has imo done very well in recruiting and will come up with a good answer. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I am sure there are plenty of players that will be available that could compete for a starter position.  Strange question, no I do not have a list of players that would be available.

How is that strange question? You do have a list of available players. Just look through the transfer portal, or look at other lists compiled by ESPN, Jeff Goodman, etc. I did and I had trouble finding any immediately eligible grad transfers whose stats at their previous school suggested they would be improvements over our current guys.

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Losing Alcindor was not a loss, but a gain.  Maybe you know when the decision was made that Alcindor would not returned happened.  I sure don't, he could have just made the decision or he could have been told months ago there was not a place for him. 

Sure if a good transfer that has to set a year is available, that would fit.  However, it is more logical to me if a quality player immediately eligible is available that is the preferred choice.

NT must replace 5 players next year including 3 or 4 starters.  Seems to be it would be much preferable to get someone in this year and get him playing experience, than worry about  the 2021 team,  

Of course, it will come down to who is available and  NT can sign.  McCasland has imo done very well in recruiting and will come up with a good answer. 

A guy eligible now who we could get playing experience for the next season would have to be some late high school or JUCO signee, or a grad transfer who has multiple years of eligibility (tough to find in April and May, really hard to find now). Finding a good Freshmen seems most possible, especially if they’re a late qualifier. I think Mccasland will make good use of the spot too. I just also think a sit-out guy makes the most sense, especially since those guys will continue to come available over the next few months whereas the grad transfer, JUCO, and 2020 HS markets are pretty dry by this point.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

This roster is solid but there is still some deadweight that needs to be addressed.  Great programs also have a deep bench.

I just don’t know how much there is available to add to the current bench at this point in time. The time for cutting and replacing dead weight was in April and May.

• Upvote 3

There are players available that are not on any list.  In fact, I believe there are more than a few players that want to transfer, but not signal their intention to their current team. 

Look at Woolridge for example, it was reported that he originally wanted to transfer to OK St., before he was on any list and I don't think that is unusual.  Did Gibson announce to the world that he was going to transfer, before it happened?

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

There are players available that are not on any list.  In fact, I believe there are more than a few players that want to transfer, but not signal their intention to their current team. 

Look at Woolridge for example, it was reported that he originally wanted to transfer to OK St., before he was on any list and I don't think that is unusual.  Did Gibson announce to the world that he was going to transfer, before it happened?

Yes, both Gibson and Woolridge were listed in the transfer portal before they announced/decided which school they were going to. Woolridge announced he was transferring in early May and committed to Gonzaga in June. Gibson announced he was transferring on April 3rd and committed to OU on April 13th. They both showed up in the transfer portal as uncommitted transfers during those in-between periods.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/breaking-news-ryan-woolridge-to-transfer-from-unt/article_b11cba1f-d99f-5f95-a353-c9e66331fa1e.html

https://dentonrc.com/sports/mens-basketball-gibson-set-to-transfer-from-unt/article_73f4b7de-1ef9-5ae5-91d6-ea41fee7ab62.html

And I agree that there are players who will transfer but have not done so yet. But at this stage those would almost assuredly be sit-out guys, not immediately eligible guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yes, both Gibson and Woolridge were listed in the transfer portal before they announced/decided which school they were going to. Woolridge announced he was transferring in early May and committed to Gonzaga in June. Gibson announced he was transferring on April 3rd and committed to OU on April 13th. They both showed up in the transfer portal as uncommitted transfers during those in-between periods.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/breaking-news-ryan-woolridge-to-transfer-from-unt/article_b11cba1f-d99f-5f95-a353-c9e66331fa1e.html

https://dentonrc.com/sports/mens-basketball-gibson-set-to-transfer-from-unt/article_73f4b7de-1ef9-5ae5-91d6-ea41fee7ab62.html

And I agree that there are players who will transfer but have not done so yet. But at this stage those would almost assuredly be sit-out guys, not immediately eligible guys.

How in the world would you have that information?  They may have been listed before they signed, but there is no way to tell when their decisions were made. 

They could have entered the portal with no idea where they would end up or they could have been recruited before they even make a decision to leave.   Surely, you don't believe that basketball recruiting is always by the rules.   

I don't how long you have followed the program, or if you have had the opportunity to have candid talks with prior NT coaches about recruiting; but basketball recruiting is a cesspool.  

• RV 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 11:57 AM, UNTLifer said:

Alcindor now on the roster at Odessa College

I know this is very old, but I forgot to say the answer i got when I asked around (In September) "He needed an opportunity to go play. was gonna be hard to get playing time behind Zach Terrance Miah and even Abou, so this was his last chance to be able to play JUCO." 

• Upvote 2