Put a fork in it?

Tom McKrackin

As someone who's career relies heavily on the gig industry, I don't think the impact here can be overstated.

I'm not an NFL guy, but it's not a giant leap in logic to see how much happier the Dallas fanbase is after a win.  Venue occupancy is higher.  Vibe is just happier.  Spending is way up.  Artist (I.e. bands/musicians) engagement is 10x better when your team is winning.

This likely extends to every aspect of fall sports, trickling from NFL/college football to lesser extents as you move down the money sport ladder.  Longhorn fans, B12/Southwest culture, in addition to traveling fanbases and the money they bring in locally. It goes on and on...

Man, it's gonna be a weird year.  Hang tough, my Mean Green friends

• Upvote 5

So worried this might truly be the case. So many jobs will be lost, both full and part-time, if this does come to pass. Plus, so many firms doing contact work (printers, concession folks, food processors, clothing sales folks, travel planning folks, etc.) will have contracts cancelled which could lead to layoffs. Student workers will be without much needed jobs while their student loans remain. This is such a big deal and bigger than many realize I am afraid for so so many people other than players and coaches.

Of course, this decision will ultimately be made by people who have not and will not miss one single paycheck. Imagine that! 

• Upvote 10
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 10

I think that the reasons here are not as cut and dry as many want to think they are, flatten the curve was great but now what is the goal?  It is undefined as far as I can tell and zero virus is never going to happen so then what? 

Do we trust the overall reporting on this pandemic?   Are the numbers really where they say they are?  How does this virus impact young people?  How does that impact compare to other public heath issues such as flu, drunk driving or STD's?  How do those numbers break down on an age basis?  Who is really at risk and what is that danger  when compared to other risks that we are exposed to on a day to day basis?  

I don't feel as though these questions are being addressed by the information brokers at large.   There is no reason that after 6 months we don't have reliable statistics on the pandemic that break down who is most impacted and we can't work as a whole to create policies to protect the most vulnerable in a logical way while allowing those at lesser risk to continue without continuing to weaken the economy,  and generating more unrest.  

The impact of this situation is much greater than just public health or sports.  I work in Hospitality and I will also agree that when Dallas sports are winning the city is a better and more vibrant place to be and it thrives as a whole.  I have been lucky and have been able to keep my job, being at work every day during this time and not hunkering down at home can be stressful and frightening at times, but millions more people are being impacted by outside forces generated from no fault of their own and the lack of people being able to think critically and work together to create thoughtful and logical solutions that don't include "stay the f home" is frustrating and potentially more detrimental than the virus itself to a great many of them.  

I miss sports more than I can put into words and I can't wait to be front and center at Apogee again or screaming like a banshee when Hamlet lobs one up to Big Zach when basketball returns.   This experience is frustrating and I want to do my part to slow the spread, I just can't for the life of me figure out what comes next or how best to help the many problems that are being created.

I am enjoying the recent uptick in Mean Green football content now that camp has started!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

29 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Shouldn’t a public health decision be made by people who aren’t influenced by their own personal paycheck?

You ever been in the situation to have to fire employees, lay off employees or reduce salaries....including your own? Much easier when you aren’t involved in the “cutting”. I have...very challenging. These folks know their decisions don’t effect their financial well being or their family’s financial well-being. Always easier when decisions effect only the “other guy”. And, in this case mostly “unknown names and faces”.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 7

48 minutes ago, hickoryhouse said:

Do we trust the overall reporting on this pandemic?   Are the numbers really where they say they are?  How does this virus impact young people?  How does that impact compare to other public heath issues such as flu, drunk driving or STD's?  How do those numbers break down on an age basis?  Who is really at risk and what is that danger  when compared to other risks that we are exposed to on a day to day basis?  

Reporting from the media mouths? I have learned to not trust them at all.  It's absurd how they will present the information to fit a need or spark an emotion.  2020 has taught me to be mindful of their sources and double check the numbers on your own.

When I watch our political leaders speak on these numbers, sometimes I don't think they are thinking about the information in the right way.  Almost like they are relying on someone within their political team that has their own need or emotion to convey, or they simply don't know what they are talking about.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 6
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

You ever been in the situation to have to fire employees, lay off employees or reduce salaries....including your own? Much easier when you aren’t involved in the “cutting”. I have...very challenging. These folks know their decisions don’t effect their financial well being or their family’s financial well-being. Always easier when decisions effect only the “other guy”. And, in this case mostly “unknown names and faces”.

Well yeah, that’s part of my point. But unless you had to cut employees and salaries because your company had to make a public health decision that negatively impacted profits, this isn’t exactly a similar comparison.

You’re basically just stating that cutting jobs sucks when you know the faces you’re impacting, and especially if you yourself are being directly impacted. Which is obvious. But because we know that, doesn’t that prove my point that someone whose pay is at stake probably shouldn’t be in charge of making the decision because they might choose the option where they continued to get paid over the best decision for public health, if those options were directly opposed?

And I’m not saying cancelling the season is the right call. Just that with a matter of public health the call shouldn’t come down to someone having to choose between jeopardizing the future of their own job or continuing to be paid.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Well, probably not as challenging as working in a hospital that is over capacity and having to determine who gets lifesaving treatment and who doesn’t.  Just a little devil’s advocacy.  

BTW, recent update on the recovery of my cousin and former Mean Green Football season ticket holder, Steve (good news):

Missed the whole point, but sure nothing like it. Agree. Just someone’s livelihood. Nothing to worry about at all. 

BTW...really happy your cousin and fellow Mean Green Nation member is doing better. Prayers for his continued recovery. 

• Thanks 3
  • Downvote 9

18 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Well, probably not as challenging as working in a hospital that is over capacity and having to determine who gets lifesaving treatment and who doesn’t.  

I don't have a bone in this, but I thought I'd relay what my doctor told me. I can't remember specifically what/where, but he said he is a vet that was an active medic during wartime.

In general, they had 3 kinds of patients.  In these pandemic times, he says this wartime logic probably has similarity to an overflowing hospital

- Patients that will probably survive without immediate medical assistance
- Patients that need medical assistance to survive
- Patients that will probably die anyways, even with assistance

Framing in that way, IMO, makes the logistics easier.  But the emotional weight has got to be unbearable.

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't have a bone in this, but I thought I'd relay what my doctor told me. I can't remember specifically what/where, but he said he is a vet that was an active medic during wartime.

In general, they had 3 kinds of patients.  In these pandemic times, he says this wartime logic probably has similarity to an overflowing hospital

- Patients that will probably survive without immediate medical assistance
- Patients that need medical assistance to survive
- Patients that will probably die anyways, even with assistance

Framing in that way, IMO, makes the logistics easier.  But the emotional weight has got to be unbearable.

Zdogg. The voice of reason. Worth while watch if you have the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3