Pac12 players threaten to opt out of season

meangreen11

8 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Here is our softball coach saying “Bye Felicia” to players. Can’t imagine that will help with team morale.

Wow. That reads like a great example of don't get on social media when you are angry.  It's very possible to convey the same basic message without coming across so irrationally angry and hateful. He can delete it, but once things are out there they always seem to resurface. 

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Here is our softball coach saying “Bye Felicia” to players. Can’t imagine that will help with team morale.

This won't have any kind of impact on his team.   
Let's be honest, Softball is not a revenue generator.  The scholarship money each player receives per year (likely partial) is more than the gate pulled from the entire Softball season.   So those players don't have the same kind of opportunity as football players, and these ladies are bright enough to know that. 
Football and Mens Basketball are the two sports that can cover costs and turn profit (and basketball margins are way lower than football outside of places like Duke/Kansas/Kentucky).   

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

4 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Wow. That reads like a great example of don't get on social media when you are angry.  It's very possible to convey the same basic message without coming across so irrationally angry and hateful. He can delete it, but once things are out there they always seem to resurface. 

This. 
I am not even sure I totally disagree with him or the article, but it just seems dumb for a coach to be so public and absolute about it on social media.

Also he doesn’t just represent himself, it can be taken as AD policy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

But Delong is correct. I root for these players because they represent my school. I would have no interest in them otherwise. The school is the draw for me, not the player. 

If they don’t like the free education plus other perks, they have the freedom to go do something else.

I agree but very shocking that he would tweet that lol

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

This. 
I am not even sure I totally disagree with him or the article, but it just seems dumb for a coach to be so public and absolute about it on social media.

Also he doesn’t just represent himself, it can be taken as AD policy. 

It's the tone that is so bad. "Feel free to try and be a normal student and pay your own way" when most of his girls are on half or quarter or less scholarships. He does seem to grasp that most of them ARE paying most of their won way already. If I'm a coach recruiting against him, I show my recruit his text and ask if they want to play for someone who has proven to not care about their concerns, fears or feeling in any way.  I can't see how it can't be used as a negative recruiting tool.

And there was no reason for the self inflicted wound! All had to do was write, "It's a privilege to be a student athlete and you should take that privilege seriously in these difficult times." Same basic message without come across as an ignorant, uncaring jerk. And no way for negative blow back. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This won't have any kind of impact on his team.   
Let's be honest, Softball is not a revenue generator.  The scholarship money each player receives per year (likely partial) is more than the gate pulled from the entire Softball season.   So those players don't have the same kind of opportunity as football players, and these ladies are bright enough to know that. 
Football and Mens Basketball are the two sports that can cover costs and turn profit (and basketball margins are way lower than football outside of places like Duke/Kansas/Kentucky).   

Except at North Texas and all the other D1 programs (minus about twenty of them).

• Upvote 1