Pac12 players threaten to opt out of season

meangreen11

I’m surprised I haven’t seen more of this honestly. Now would be the time for student athletes to really get behind a players union. Ensure that proper health and safety procedures are in place. This is way different than professional athletes being asked to play and laid millions. You’re asking kids/young adults to put their health on the line for next to nothing. All so that Athletic Departments don’t gotta belly up and so that we have entertainment for for a few weekends.  

• Upvote 11
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, H-towngreen said:

I’m surprised I haven’t seen more of this honestly. Now would be the time for student athletes to really get behind a players union. Ensure that proper health and safety procedures are in place. This is way different than professional athletes being asked to play and laid millions. You’re asking kids/young adults to put their health on the line for next to nothing. All so that Athletic Departments don’t gotta belly up and so that we have entertainment for for a few weekends.  

Next to nothing???  Free college is HUGE!!  I can deal with health reasons to sit, other than the fact these young men are probably the least likely to gage difficulty with the virus. Young and healthy!!  Unions have ruined everything they have touched. These players are not employees. They are trading their skills for a great opportunity. They need to leave their politics at the door before they ruin it for everyone. 

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 11

33 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Next to nothing???  Free college is HUGE!!  I can deal with health reasons to sit, other than the fact these young men are probably the least likely to gage difficulty with the virus. Young and healthy!!  Unions have ruined everything they have touched. These players are not employees. They are trading their skills for a great opportunity. They need to leave their politics at the door before they ruin it for everyone. 

Neither were sharecroppers. The backbone of an industry who isn’t paid.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Yes they are all young and healthy until they suffer from lung or heart damage and their athletic careers are over before they start. 

What safety recommendations do you think should be adopted that accomplish this objective short of cancelling the season?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, H-towngreen said:

You’re not going to pull a scholarship for a player choosing to sit out a season  for health concerns when there is a worldwide pandemic. 

I would agree except they brought into the conversation a political statement as part of their demands. 

But it's the "Left Coast" and I'm sure the conference will play along.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

I don't see the problem here. ADs have made it abundantly clear how dependent athletic departments are on football revenue and the pandemic threat to the football season has underscored this dependence even more. It only makes sense that players would take that info and use it to press things that they see as important to them. 

If the players are just students who can be easily replaced by other students and that same football revenue will still be available to colleges & universities, then ADs have nothing to worry about in terms of these demands. If, however, the revenue is because of the skills of those particular players and cannot be easily replaced by other students, then it sounds like colleges & universities are going to need to buck up, bargain with the players, and give some concessions to their demands. That's just the marketplace at work.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chomp said:

I don't see the problem here. ADs have made it abundantly clear how dependent athletic departments are on football revenue and the pandemic threat to the football season has underscored this dependence even more. It only makes sense that players would take that info and use it to press things that they see as important to them. 

If the players are just students who can be easily replaced by other students and that same football revenue will still be available to colleges & universities, then ADs have nothing to worry about in terms of these demands. If, however, the revenue is because of the skills of those particular players and cannot be easily replaced by other students, then it sounds like colleges & universities are going to need to buck up, bargain with the players, and give some concessions to their demands. That's just the marketplace at work.

They turnover players every year. Next up

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

Did I just hear that PAC12 players want 50% of the revenue?  And long term health insurance. or is this old news?

The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport's conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity.”

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, chomp said:

You sound rational. What are you doing on this board?! 😂

• Haha 1