DRC (updated): Texas A&M AD says he doesn't believe school will have to pay buyout to UNT

Brett Vito

Agree to a game in Apogee and let the Corp and fans fill the wing plus another 5,000 in the end zone plus.  Call it a day. 

A&M played at Ford. “Live from Denton Texas USA and Apogee stadium it’s the Texas  A&M fighting Aggies and the UNT Mean Green!!!!!

Backup plan is get the game in the cotton bowl during the state fair. 

GMG

• Upvote 4

I was right there with you NMGreen until that last sentence.  

id like to think Apogee was built to attract big name schools to Denton.  If we are going to play at the Cotton Bowl for regular season games, I fail to see the point of a first class stadium on campus.  

Bring A&M to Denton and make it a Corps  Trip and let them march around the Square.  But play the game at Apogee. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 7

On 8/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, MeanGreenTeeth said:

It seems pretty hard to argue that the game is cancelled due to an Act of God when you're continuing to play games against other teams.  

True, but I'm also not sure diseases created in a Chinese lab constitute an act of God. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 6

On 8/3/2020 at 1:36 PM, southsideguy said:

Wren:  You owe us $1.25 million 

Texas A&M AD:    What it gonna take for you to skip this game and sign off today?

Wren: 1 million

Texas A&M AD:   Let me take this deal back to my manager but I don't think he will go for it,   I working for you.

Harry, please immediately put this in consideration for HOF post status...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Always comes down to language of the contract. Central Arkansas likely SOL based on Mizzou contract language. AState probably OK based on contract with Michigan. 

Personally if one were to sue one of these P5 teams I’d go ahead and add their conference and sue for tortious interference with contract. Politically you might get grief suing another state school but who cares if you sue the whole SEC?

Rumor is many schools are negotiating rescheduling their buy games and paying part but not all of the guarantees this year. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Always comes down to language of the contract. Central Arkansas likely SOL based on Mizzou contract language. AState probably OK based on contract with Michigan. 

Personally if one were to sue one of these P5 teams I’d go ahead and add their conference and sue for tortious interference with contract. Politically you might get grief suing another state school but who cares if you sue the whole SEC?

Rumor is many schools are negotiating rescheduling their buy games and paying part but not all of the guarantees this year. 

Makes sense.

If you want to get blackballed from getting a money game against these P5s, suing them over a lost game due to covid seems like a pretty good way to make that happen.

If we were playing at Wisconsin or Arkansas this season and it got cancelled, I could see someone trying a lawsuit. But in true UNT fashion, the year we have a bodybag game that gets cancelled, its an in-state game against another public school. We will just end up playing the Aggies at some other point in the years ahead and that will end this debate.

• Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

If you want to get blackballed from getting a money game against these P5s, suing them over a lost game due to covid seems like a pretty good way to make that happen.

If we were playing at Wisconsin or Arkansas this season and it got cancelled, I could see someone trying a lawsuit. But in true UNT fashion, the year we have a bodybag game that gets cancelled, its an in-state game against another public school. We will just end up playing the Aggies at some other point in the years ahead and that will end this debate.

AState sued Miami. Hasn’t seemed to create any problems 

Actually they sued us before we could file but we did file 

Edited by Arkstfan

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

If Im mistaken, didn’t Miami back out of a home game at your place?

Yes the governor of Florida told everyone to evacuate Miami so instead of coming to Jonesboro they just released the team and wished them well. AState was going to sue once time passed for them to pay up so Miami sued to declare contract invalid. We ended settling for around 2/3rds

7 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Universities in Texas have sovereign immunity from lawsuits. Suing under this contract is just throwing good money after bad..

If Texas extends sovereign immunity to cover contracts I’m surprised anyone does business with the government. Usually only applies to torts not contracts. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2020 at 7:17 PM, greenjoe said:

I was right there with you NMGreen until that last sentence.  

id like to think Apogee was built to attract big name schools to Denton.  If we are going to play at the Cotton Bowl for regular season games, I fail to see the point of a first class stadium on campus.  

Bring A&M to Denton and make it a Corps  Trip and let them march around the Square.  But play the game at Apogee. 

GO MEAN GREEN

Hell, play it at Jerry World!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2