Happy Birthday Coach Mac

IOWA SURE IS GREAT, IF ONLY MAC COULD'VE IOWA'D A BIT MORE IOWA IN HIS NORTH TEXAS IOWA, WE WOULD'VE FLORIDA IOWA MORE OFTEN.

I got to UNT in spring of 2013 so my first football season was the HOD season and I was immediately a fan, even went to the Texas game the next year thinking we had a shot. It was all downhill from there. He seemed like a decent guy, minus the alcoholism and spousal abuse, but I saw through his facade pretty quick. Hope he's doing okay.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Remember that during his time here he lost an eye, lost his brother, and got older.  I think it all took a toll on him and the assistant coaches were unable to pickup the slack.  

It's common knowledge that he wouldn't lift a finger to recruit.

If he had bothered with recruiting, we might be talking about a great coach who overcame incredible personal adversity.  But he didn't, and we are not.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

It's common knowledge that he wouldn't lift a finger to recruit.

If he had bothered with recruiting, we might be talking about a great coach who overcame incredible personal adversity.  But he didn't, and we are not.

I don't think the "common knowledge" is as common as you think.  I remember his first year he went with an assistant coach to Cyril Lemon's home to flip him.  I don't know what he did recruiting at Iowa St and I only have that one example from  his time at UNT.   However, lots of college head coaches don't do much recruiting and leave it to the assistants to do the heavy lifting.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't think the "common knowledge" is as common as you think.  I remember his first year he went with an assistant coach to Cyril Lemon's home to flip him.  I don't know what he did recruiting at Iowa St and I only have that one example from  his time at UNT.   However, lots of college head coaches don't do much recruiting and leave it to the assistants to do the heavy lifting.  

What I heard is that he literally told our assistants to relax on recruiting.  He was not coordinating the efforts among them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Really good man and great experience, he appeared to be a solid hire. 

With all due respect to Dan McCarney, I cannot believe that people are still making this argument.  He had 12 years of being a college head coach under his belt at the time he was hired and had a 56-85 record to show for it.  I understand it was Iowa State, but 30 games under .500? After 12 years? It was basically the most "North Texas" hire imaginable.

You are what your record says you are.  He won 39.72% of his games at Iowa State.  He won 40.74% of his games at North Texas.

With that being said, I still wish the guy a happy birthday.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

6 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Just imagine, and I love DT for the record, what MF could have done on this team

Fun to think about, but Mac would have never heard of him or recruited him and Mason would have taken that OkSt walk-on offer. 

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

IOWA SURE IS GREAT, IF ONLY MAC COULD'VE IOWA'D A BIT MORE IOWA IN HIS NORTH TEXAS IOWA, WE WOULD'VE FLORIDA IOWA MORE OFTEN.

I got to UNT in spring of 2013 so my first football season was the HOD season and I was immediately a fan, even went to the Texas game the next year thinking we had a shot. It was all downhill from there. He seemed like a decent guy, minus the alcoholism and spousal abuse, but I saw through his facade pretty quick. Hope he's doing okay.

Ya I do remember hearing about him showing up to practices drunk, but didn’t know about the spousal abuse, what was that about? 

Oh ya, I did know that Mccarney and the strength and conditioning coach got into a verbal argument in his office. It was to sad to see the Terminator leave the program. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Ya I do remember hearing about him showing up to practices drunk, but didn’t know about the spousal abuse, what was that about? 

Oh ya, I did know that Mccarney and the strength and conditioning coach got into a verbal argument in his office. It was to sad to see the Terminator leave the program. 

Abuse was prior to this job. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Sad truth is - other than Daryl Dickey - that name one HC at UNT FB who has gone to greener pastures?  Place has been a damn graveyard for coaches sadly.

Of course there is Fry. Tyler went to Texas Tech. Rust went on to be the HC at New England. Matt Simon did a fine job with the Baltimore Ravens until he was dismissed for passing locker room gossip. But yes, a HC job at North Texas is basically a career killer.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 7/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, All About UNT said:

Just imagine, and I love DT for the record, what MF could have done on this team

On 7/29/2020 at 5:12 AM, 97and03 said:

Fun to think about, but Mac would have never heard of him or recruited him and Mason would have taken that OkSt walk-on offer. 

Hell Mac didn’t even recruit DT. He was BY FAR the best quarterback of the Dan McCarney era and Mac didn’t have shit to do with it other than bringing  in Cyril Lemon. Mac has Dodge to thank for finding and grooming Derek Thompson. Mac’s quarterbacks couldn’t throw their way out of a wet paper bag.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Hell Mac didn’t even recruit DT. He was BY FAR the best quarterback of the Dan McCarney era and Mac didn’t have shit to do with it other than bringing  in Cyril Lemon. Mac has Dodge to thank for finding and grooming Derek Thompson. Mac’s quarterbacks couldn’t throw their way out of a wet paper bag.

ok GIF

• Upvote 2

On 7/29/2020 at 10:45 AM, meangreen11 said:

Sad truth is - other than Daryl Dickey - that name one HC at UNT FB who has gone to greener pastures?  Place has been a damn graveyard for coaches sadly.

Name one hc other than Fry, Moore and Littrell that have a winning record at NT. 

Losing coaches seldom move up.  DD was a horrible HC and so was Dodge.  Moore was also a questionable coach, who took a loaded team left by Fry and quickly ruined them. 

Moore later found a lot of success at a lower football division. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Thanks 1