North Texas explains the (amazingly elaborate) FAKE FAIR CATCH trick

You have probably seen the 90-yard punt return touchdown North Texas put on Arkansas in Week 3 of 2018, en route to a 44-17 destruction of the Razorbacks. And you will probably smile when you watch it right now for the 36th time, because it is that wild.

You also might have questions about how the hell it happened. Same.

So I talked later that Saturday night with the two people most involved in the play’s existence: UNT special teams coordinator Marty Biagi and punt returner Keegan Brewer.

This is the story of how the play went from idea to epic success story, explained by both.

Brewer didn’t go rogue and try it on his own. The Mean Green had been working on this schoolyard trick since fall camp.

The play required weeks of practice. And just to get that far, it needed buy-in from the return man. That’s not a given on a play that requires the returner to stand like a statue while oncoming coverage men charge toward him.

“You can’t just put that in on a Wednesday and then go, ‘Hey! Trust me!’” Biagi says.

So the coordinator told the returner in August, “Hey, we’re gonna start practicing this during fall camp, and I need you to trust me.”

“And Keegan looked me square in the eyes and said, ‘Coach, let’s practice it until you know it’ll work.’ So instead of just practicing that once, my big thing is: don’t practice it till you get it right,” Biagi says. “Practice it till you can’t get it wrong.”

read more:  https://www.bannersociety.com/2018/9/16/20708702/north-texas-fake-fair-catch-td

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...