Pac 12 players threatening a boycott of games

meangreen11

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Universities are supposed to be full of smart people, why colleges have hard time figuring simple stuff like this out I will never know.  The schools have the ability to insure that their players are taken care of and safe. 

A minor league system would destroy college football as we know it, look at how it works with baseball and hockey, players are drafted when they are 16-17, few make it to the big leagues.

Sometimes you cannot protect people from themselves. At 16-17-18 a lot of these kids are told how great they are, and sadly, because they are good at a sport many have been helped along through school and in all honesty don't desire a college education. The one-and-done is a joke in college BB with many students taking the bake minimum and then dropping out the second the post season is over. In football you now have more and more players skipping bowls and games.

If they are good enough and there is a spot for them, let them go. The next big question is how do we "help" those 17 and 18 year old who don't make it in the minors or get hurt. Will a kids who goes pro in football, be able to go back to college in another sport (like some Baseball players have come back to play to play football)?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I could be wrong but I feel pretty confident in saying that college football is finished. Gone. Over. Done and for a lot of reasons. And it happened without any warning. As we all walked out of Apogee after the last game of last season saying our goodbyes and saying, “see you next year” who could have imagined that something we all loved dearly was going to be taken away from us. If covid19 wasn’t enough politics will finish it off. Basketball will follow. Good night Mean Green Friends. It was a hell of a ride!! GO MEAN GREEN. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 5

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

I could be wrong....

Yes, you are wrong. 

First off, this was first "reported" on a tweet a week ago and I can't find any national sports site or PAC 12 city newspaper that has run a story on it. I read the Salt Lake Tribune almost daily and that paper runs anything on the Utes/Pac12 and not a peep. Not saying there isn't something out there but considering there wasn't a quote from these "players" or anything else, I'm not going to predict the end of college football because of a tweet followed up by blog posts. 

Also, IF ten to fifteen players are coming up with some agenda, it doesn't mean the other thousand plus players in the PAC12 will go along.

In my lifetime I can count three or four "this is the end of college football as we know it" moments. And here we still are. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5

On 7/24/2020 at 9:41 AM, greenjoe said:

I like MCMLXXX's idea of a NFL minor league.  Then, I could ignore another NFL related product.

Why would the NFL spend money on this when they have a free minor league in the NCAA? The owners are not that financially challenged and probably did not get in the financial position to buy an NFL franchise by making financially stupid decisions.

57 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Why would the NFL spend money on this when they have a free minor league in the NCAA? The owners are not that financially challenged and probably did not get in the financial position to buy an NFL franchise by making financially stupid decisions.

Because this would be a profitable minor league

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Because this would be a profitable minor league

Maybe...maybe not. NFL Europe wasn’t profitable for the NFL. And, none of the recent versions of “pro” ball spinoffs have been profitable or lasted any time at all. NFL owners are too smart to give up the golden goose that is college football today to toss a bunch...a bunch...of cash into a “B” league that could even have a remote chance of being profitable. Jerry Jones is not in the habit of backing money losing propositions. Especially when he gets all he wants from a “developmental” league now for free called the NCAA. Just doesn’t make financial sense to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Maybe...maybe not. NFL Europe wasn’t profitable for the NFL. And, none of the recent versions of “pro” ball spinoffs have been profitable or lasted any time at all. NFL owners are too smart to give up the golden goose that is college football today to toss a bunch...a bunch...of cash into a “B” league that could even have a remote chance of being profitable. Jerry Jones is not in the habit of backing money losing propositions. Especially when he gets all he wants from a “developmental” league now for free called the NCAA. Just doesn’t make financial sense to me.

Those leagues have all been NFL castoffs. The version being discussed in this thread would feature the caliber of players who the NFL would be looking to spend high draft picks on. 

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

The NCAA is the primary pool of future NFL players.  Euro NFL, XFL, etc...all have been NFL castaways.

**Looks like Billy touched on this

It would be like every other minor league sport.  Marginal interest.  The NCAA is huge because people (like all of us) support “our” team.  We have a vested interest in the team because we went to school there.  We paid money to the school and many still so.  I don’t think many on this board would be writing a check each year to the “Dallas Minor League Football Team” for season tickets, etc.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

The NCAA is the primary pool of future NFL players.  Euro NFL, XFL, etc...all have been NFL castaways.

**Looks like Billy touched on this

NFL castaways at least have name recognition from a college career. The ONLY reason I watched the Dallas XFL games was because of Lance Dunbar. If you run out a bunch of high school players that only a very minor few know about, I don't know how you draw an audience. You better make the game experience awesome for the fans, because no one is watching minor league football on TV. 

Personally I think it should exists because I don't like forcing kids to go to college. It should be done for developmental reasons, not money making ones. But it won't happen, baseball owners are trying to get rid of at least 25% of minor league teams because they don't like paying the small sum for those operations. Owners have the big bucks so far be it for me to give them money advice but sometimes I don't think they see the forest through the trees when it comes to growing their perspective sports. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 1