Pac 12 players threatening a boycott of games

meangreen11

"Pac 12 football players have created a list of “demands” 4 the Pac-12/Universities 2 take into consideration, if the demands aren’t addressed/complied w/ the players R threatening to sit out the season..There is significant support growing among ALL 12 teams with 50 or More players on many of teams in support of this action/demands list," Carpenter tweeted. "The initial idea was 2 create a players union, they decided time didn’t allow 4 this & figure the best way to create the change they want is 2 “boycott” the season.

read more:  https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/pac-12-players-boycott-2020/

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

50/50 revenue share!  Lol.   And keep their scholarship money as well, right?

Good luck with this, and there will be plenty of other students who will backfill for those players as they lose their scholarships and either go elsewhere to play (after sitting out a season), or slipping away never to be heard from again.   Pac 12 may not be as good, but there's absolutely no way the University presidents will go for this (well, maybe Cal-Berkley, but no one else) because their ADs are still going to be super expensive to run, and they can't just let go of 50% of their football revenue.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Just eliminate athletic scholarships already....

Academic scholarships only. Universities, pay the athletes the same their fellow student that works at the campus Starbucks gets paid. What, $10 bucks an hour? Hell, pay them $15 an hour. If they work 60 hours a week...that's a nice pay check with overtime. I would've loved to have made that in college. Pay it. But you're on your own for your tuition and board....get loans just like the Starbucks or Chickfila or Barnes and Noble employee whose "corporation is making millions off their labor." Start learning the real world now. It will be great for them...

At these P5 programs college players are worth much more than $15/hr, because they generate much more revenue than Starbucks baristas. If they were paid for 60 hours a week, every week of the year, at $15/hr, and still had their scholarships and housing paid for, their compensation would still be a fraction of what their market would be at a P5 in a free-market system.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/college-football-player-value-2017-11%3famp

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

There will be a lot of teams if this goes through that will no longer be around or will drop to lowest division and offer no scholarships.  I can see our conference now , Texas State, ACU, UTSA, Houston Baptist, Midwestern...........

Why would they no longer be around?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Wisconsin doesn’t play fall sports it will cost them $100m! Now tell me what players are worth?

If you paid every scholarship football player $40,000 per year, that would cost $3.4 million, less than 3.5% of what Wisconsin football is bringing in on revenue. 

Head coach Paul Chryst makes $4.15 million per year. 

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Some Universities might not think it is worth having teams around if the 50/50 split happens.  What mid major could afford it or would it be worth it?   Bright side maybe UTA would bring back their team and we have a rival -go team.

They don’t have to afford it. Just offer only scholarships if that’s all you can afford. If players don’t have P5 offers or their P5 offers dried up and they can’t get those P5 salaries plus scholarship, then a D1/FBS/G5/whatever it’s called at that point scholarships will still be appealing. You know, like it works now.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

They don’t have to afford it. Just offer only scholarships if that’s all you can afford. If players don’t have P5 offers or their P5 offers dried up and they can’t get those P5 salaries plus scholarship, then a D1/FBS/G5/whatever it’s called at that point scholarships will still be appealing. You know, like it works now.

Will a university have choice of doing that if this all goes through?  I don't know if they will.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Will a university have choice of doing that if this all goes through?  I don't know if they will.

P5 players have the leverage because of how much they generate. G5 players don’t have anywhere near that leverage. P5 players could, in a free-market system, go to another P5 school and make the money they are worth, or choose to band together and play hardball and threaten to boycott playing which would financially screw over the universities.

With G5 players, they don’t have the potential free-market demand of a P5 player and the leverage that creates like, save for a select group of players. They could boycott as a group but in the end they’d probably be screwing themselves more by not taking the scholarship. Although even G5 players are worth more than those scholarships on average.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

The 50/50 revenue(!!!) sharing would have to be applied for all sports and for both male and female athletes.

True.  So the women's swimming & diving team would get a cut of the football team's revenue?   Or would their deficit count towards the whole athletic department's revenue & bring the share down for everyone?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

True.  So the women's swimming & diving team would get a cut of the football team's revenue?   Or would their deficit count towards the whole athletic department's revenue & bring the share down for everyone?

I think it will have to do with how Title IX is observed.

From the NCAA website:

Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.

It doesn't seem like equal treatment of other athletes who aren't members of the football program to not grant them a share of the 50/50 split of the revenue(!!!) from the athletic budget.

This is more or less covered in one of the FAQs

Does Title IX require that equal dollars be spent on men and women's sports?

No. The only provision that requires that the same dollars be spent proportional to participation is scholarships. Otherwise, male and female student-athletes must receive equitable "treatment" and "benefits."

Revenue or profit sharing would be considered a benefit and should be applied equitably across all sports and genders.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Universities are supposed to be full of smart people, why colleges have hard time figuring simple stuff like this out I will never know.  The schools have the ability to insure that their players are taken care of and safe. 

A minor league system would destroy college football as we know it, look at how it works with baseball and hockey, players are drafted when they are 16-17, few make it to the big leagues.

Will all those athletes that go on to make millions (if they are lucky) also be willing share half of their earnings with the university that provided them the coaching, facilities, training, nutrition program and platform to develop and demonstrate their ability to the pro leagues so they could sign those $$$$$$$$$ contracts??

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Why would minor league football ruin college football ?  Minor league baseball hasn’t ruined college baseball.  The NBA Development League hasn’t ruined college b-ball.  I admit I know very little about minor league hockey or it’s effect on college hockey.  It seems to me the market would decide what is ruined and what survives.  Let the talented 17 or 18 year old play minor league football.  If they are really good and don’t get hurt, they can join the NFL.  They can always go to college. 

Edited by greenjoe

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

Why would minor league football ruin college football ?  Minor league baseball hasn’t ruined college baseball.  The NBA Development League hasn’t ruined college b-ball.  I admit I know very little about minor league hockey or it’s effect on college hockey.  It seems to me the market would decide what is ruined and what survives.  Let the talented 17 or 18 year old play minor league football.  If they are really good and don’t get hurt, they can join the NFL.  They can always go to college. 

There are still a lot of talented 17 and 18 year old who value an education and understand that only a very small percent make a living playing sports. A lot of very good players would still choose college. A minor league system would give those who choose not to go, or cannot qualify for college an option.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1