Thanks for leaving this opinion piece. Enlightening. He wonderfully weaves the notion of what the filibuster is thought to be and purposely setting up that the old filibuster ways are under attack. He tries to make it seem like the modern filibuster is Jimmy Stewart up there talking for 25 straight hours on the right side of the legislation making sure that the law is truly the right thing to do. He doesn't try to correct that thinking - instead makes it seem like Democrats want to attack our democracy - which is lunacy.

The filibuster didn't get used much until almost one hundred years ago - during WWI. Then it went on to be the favorite tool to block the civil rights legislations. However, the effect of filibusters blocked all other bill debates since the floor was taken. It wasn't until the 1970's that they changed the rules to make a filibuster not actually be physical and blocking the debate of all other laws... which led to the way of a super majority being needed on nearly all legislation. But even with that - it wasn't until after Bush and into Obama administration that *every* legislation required a super majority because *every* bill was filibustered by the GOP. 

Obama wanted to reform filibusters - to make it less de-facto and more targeted. But those evil Democrats didn't do it, because they were still concerned about the minority party's ability to stop real troubling legislation. 

Yet the conversation to end the filibuster is nothing new. For either side of the isle. Even from the greatest of minds we have in Washington:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/04/03/trump-wants-the-senate-to-get-rid-of-the-filibuster-good-luck-with-that/

It is not as sexy to say that the legislators want to change a 50 year old filibuster rule to bring it back to how it really was used back in the good ole founding father days. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

When I get done with a long week of manly, sweaty, greasy, blue-collar workin'... I want to sit back in my barcalounger on Sunday with a bowl of pretzels, an ice cold beer, a house empty of any damn spouses or offspring... And just WATCH SOME LEGISLATING. 

When I was a kid, legislation took 2 hours, 2.5 MAX. Now, with all the Hack-A-McConnell and Four Conyers offense, I'm lucky if I see a bill passed in less than 4 hours. THAT'S INSANE.

First off, obviously, take out some of the damn commercials. But even that isn't going to solve it. So, whatever it takes... Designated Legislator? I'll try it. Shot clock? Whatever. Do it. Speed this up. 

Purists be damned. Throw out the record books, or write new ones. Just speed it up. It has to happen. Or you're going to lose the next generation. They'll abandon bicameral legislation structure for Fortnite or dancing the Charleston or whatever kids are doing these days. 

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

When I get done with a long week of manly, sweaty, greasy, blue-collar workin'... I want to sit back in my barcalounger on Sunday with a bowl of pretzels, an ice cold beer, a house empty of any damn spouses or offspring... And just WATCH SOME LEGISLATING. 

When I was a kid, legislation took 2 hours, 2.5 MAX. Now, with all the Hack-A-McConnell and Four Conyers offense, I'm lucky if I see a bill passed in less than 4 hours. THAT'S INSANE.

First off, obviously, take out some of the damn commercials. But even that isn't going to solve it. So, whatever it takes... Designated Legislator? I'll try it. Shot clock? Whatever. Do it. Speed this up. 

Purists be damned. Throw out the record books, or write new ones. Just speed it up. It has to happen. Or you're going to lose the next generation. They'll abandon bicameral legislation structure for Fortnite or dancing the Charleston or whatever kids are doing these days. 

do you even talk sports, brah?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I think if the filibuster couldn't just be invoked and had to actually be done (like as was said...in Mr Smith Goes to Washington) - it would go back to almost never being used.

Buddy... If it were up to me, we'd just give 'em all a leather helmet, a jock strap, and a slap on the ass, then send 'em out there to pass some dang laws. 

I'm just old school like that. 

1 minute ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Buddy... If it were up to me, we'd just give 'em all a leather helmet, a jock strap, and a slap on the ass, then send 'em out there to pass some dang laws. 

I'm just old school like that. 

🤣

How can I compete with that?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

My favorite thing about Tucker Carlson is that his mom left him exactly $1 in her will. 

Hey man, it's tougher than ever to keep a dynasty together in the post-salary cap era. 

It's easy for us as fans to look at decisions like this and think "c'mon, dig deeper and keep it going another few years". But when you're the one running the franchise, it's up to you to make the hard decisions. And it's all about the bottom line.

So, yeah, it sucks that this is how the game works these days... But for me, it's all about the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back. So: next man up, show us what you've got, and earn that big contract. If you can't or you won't... Free market has no room for sentimentality. That's America. Win or go home. 

15 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Hey man, it's tougher than ever to keep a dynasty together in the post-salary cap era. 

It's easy for us as fans to look at decisions like this and think "c'mon, dig deeper and keep it going another few years". But when you're the one running the franchise, it's up to you to make the hard decisions. And it's all about the bottom line.

So, yeah, it sucks that this is how the game works these days... But for me, it's all about the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back. So: next man up, show us what you've got, and earn that big contract. If you can't or you won't... Free market has no room for sentimentality. That's America. Win or go home. 

*checks forum title again*
Jeff-Van-Gundy-Stare.gif

• Haha 2
  • Ray 2

34 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

My favorite thing about Tucker Carlson is that his mom left him exactly $1 in her will. 

Don't think he is too worried about it with what he is making....but, sure, family dynamics. Nothing new.....

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

You know...the momentum of the early Tea Party movement got me excited and when Mitch McConnell took over as Senate Majority leader in 2015, I was pumped about more Conservative justices and a new Supreme Court. I figured the days of abortion and catering to the gays was over, but recent decisions have really proven it is more of the same - year after year, we get close, but nothing ever changes.

That's why I logged on today - to ask a question I think we've all been avoiding. When is Mitch McConnell the Senate Majority Leader going to hold someone accountable? They have every advantage - brand recognition as the party of Lincoln, a passionate base and even their own GOP news network (like the Long Whorns!!!) We make all these excuses for his dual roles, but other political parties don't do it this way. I want what's best for the GOP, which leads me to my tough question, when is Mitch McConnell the Senate Majority Leader going to fire Mitch McConnell the Senator?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Quoner said:

which leads me to my tough question, when is Mitch McConnell the Senate Majority Leader going to fire Mitch McConnell the Senator?

Did you like those three Supreme Court Justices? Did you enjoy those? 

I hope you did. I hope you did very much. 

Bill Frist is not walking back through that door. Tom Daschle is not walking back through that door. Fair weather "fans" need to wrap their heads around the complexity of the modern free agency era.