Coronavirus No fans allowed for college sports in NY this fall, Cuomo says

Harry

Albany, N.Y. — If colleges in New York manage to play sports this fall, they’ll do so without fans in the stands, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today.

Major college athletics conferences across the country and schools throughout the state, including Syracuse University, are in various stages of planning for games when students return. The games can take place and they can be televised, but fans won’t be allowed in stadiums, Cuomo said during a conference call with reporters.

read more:  https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/07/no-fans-allowed-for-college-sports-in-ny-this-fall-cuomo-says.html

Syracuse message board response:  https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/07/no-fans-allowed-for-college-sports-in-ny-this-fall-cuomo-says.html

Cuomo is making this up as he goes.  If he's waiting for a vaccine and for the entire population of New York to be inoculated, he should say so, because it's not clear what number he's looking for.  New York City was arguably the worst situation in the county.  Through his and DeBlasio's incompetence, however, they probably created a situation where the virus has run out of new hosts to infect.  Here's the chart for New York City hospitalizations.  On July 19, 2020 there were 17 new hospitalizations in a city of 8.3 Million.  On July 18, 2020 there were 4 deaths, none on the 19th.  

1359807835_ScreenShot2020-07-21at3_47_06PM.png.40ee3e0e98f06ba422b8089a149f1f72.png

Positive test results has been trending well under 2%.  WTF is he looking for?

607180669_ScreenShot2020-07-21at3_55_54PM.png.975265e749d85f719379dd1684231eec.png

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

• Harry featured this topic
3 minutes ago, keith said:

Apparently some aren't on the science bandwagon or don't like data and facts.

"the virus has run out of new hosts to infect."

I mean, to start, I'd love (literally) to see the science and facts that state a person can not be infected twice

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/22/21324729/getting-covid-19-twice-immunity-antibodies-vaccine-herd-immunity

honestly, I'd say everyone in leadership throughout the world has been operating without a set of known facts. science takes time and mistakes and then more time. I'd say it's considerably more prudent to act with an abundance of caution in absence of fact. The Northeast on the whole right now is doing pretty well. Sports, especially amateur athletics, are a luxury...and I'd say allowing 20,30,40K people to congregate for a luxury is the equivalent of spiking the ball and doing the Icky Shuffle at about the 20 yard line (whereas Texas letting 60K into TMS this weekend is like that A&M kid over-celebrating a 4th quarter sack down 77-0)  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

"the virus has run out of new hosts to infect."

I mean, to start, I'd love (literally) to see the science and facts that state a person can not be infected twice

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/22/21324729/getting-covid-19-twice-immunity-antibodies-vaccine-herd-immunity

honestly, I'd say everyone in leadership throughout the world has been operating without a set of known facts. science takes time and mistakes and then more time. I'd say it's considerably more prudent to act with an abundance of caution in absence of fact. The Northeast on the whole right now is doing pretty well. Sports, especially amateur athletics, are a luxury...and I'd say allowing 20,30,40K people to congregate for a luxury is the equivalent of spiking the ball and doing the Icky Shuffle at about the 20 yard line (whereas Texas letting 60K into TMS this weekend is like that A&M kid over-celebrating a 4th quarter sack down 77-0)  

Meh..that's a throw away line (but even the article only points to: "There have been some anecdotal reports of people getting reinfected with the virus after recovering from a first infection and getting sick again after being exposed to the virus a second time.)  However, the facts are still the facts with respect to NYC infection rates, hospitalizations and deaths.  Agree there are still many unknowns, but just thinking out-loud, what are the likely explanations for the numbers?

1. The data is wrong (intentionally or unintentionally)

2. There has been a mass exodus from the city reducing the population significantly and thus the targets for new infections

3.  Along with social distancing when they have to go out, a significant number of people have isolated themselves in their apartments

4.  Masks have a major role in reducing the spread

5.  The reinfection rate is actually low - at one point in April I think there were credible estimates that up to 25% of the NYC population had already been infected

6.  Others? 

I get that sports are not a necessity, but whether we like it or not, it is a significant part of modern life. Personally, I haven't missed baseball at all.  My main point was to ask what metric is good enough for Mr. Cuomo?  

It is hinted at, but I do think we are largely ignoring the mental health aspects of all of this.  We've had external dining for a two to three months now and recently (probably a few weeks) have inside dining in restaurants.  I have a close friend that is terrified to sit at an outside table (regardless of how large it is) that has more than 4 people sitting down to eat because the governor said 4 is safe, but 5 is dangerous. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, keith said:

Meh..that's a throw away line (but even the article only points to: "There have been some anecdotal reports of people getting reinfected with the virus after recovering from a first infection and getting sick again after being exposed to the virus a second time.)  However, the facts are still the facts with respect to NYC infection rates, hospitalizations and deaths.  Agree there are still many unknowns, but just thinking out-loud, what are the likely explanations for the numbers?

1. The data is wrong (intentionally or unintentionally)

2. There has been a mass exodus from the city reducing the population significantly and thus the targets for new infections

3.  Along with social distancing when they have to go out, a significant number of people have isolated themselves in their apartments

4.  Masks have a major role in reducing the spread

5.  The reinfection rate is actually low - at one point in April I think there were credible estimates that up to 25% of the NYC population had already been infected

6.  Others? 

I get that sports are not a necessity, but whether we like it or not, it is a significant part of modern life. Personally, I haven't missed baseball at all.  My main point was to ask what metric is good enough for Mr. Cuomo?  

It is hinted at, but I do think we are largely ignoring the mental health aspects of all of this.  We've had external dining for a two to three months now and recently (probably a few weeks) have inside dining in restaurants.  I have a close friend that is terrified to sit at an outside table (regardless of how large it is) that has more than 4 people sitting down to eat because the governor said 4 is safe, but 5 is dangerous. 

perhaps it was meant as a throw-away line, but it's kinda emblematic of "our" (nation/leadership/individual) failings in dealing with covid...a sort of best case scenario assumption not based on fact. now you can easily say, "well Cuomo is making assumptions not based on fact, too" and you'd basically be right...the difference tho:

- assume the worst and be wrong = short term losses and no football
- assume the best and be wrong = long term losses as we repeat shut-down cycles and a lot more dead

to your question about the numbers...I think you change #1 to read "the numbers a simply incomplete" and I'll answer All of the Above

I do think the more measured re-opening and more social-conscious behavior in the Northeast has played a large role in managing the virus, but we're a long ways off from victory laps. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2