Wren Baker says we wouldn’t play today (WFAA)

meangreen11

DENTON, Texas — It's a nightmare to imagine, but it's becoming a reality for many colleges in America: a fall without football.

"If the decision had to be made today, we wouldn't play," admitted Wren Baker, athletic director at the University of North Texas.

read more: https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/sports/the-impact-of-covid-19-on-college-football-other-fall-sports-in-2020/287-a477cd8d-d410-483e-a48f-6e0f2cc37e40

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

This really, really pains me to say, but I would rather not have a season and go into next year with the same team instead of half-assing our way through this one and having things get cancelled once one player gets the virus. 

However, the financial ramifications of not having a season are crippling, the NCAA would be forced to give everyone an extra year of eligibility so we would also be paying more than ever for our athletes in 2021 and beyond due to few seniors leaving, and a whole new class coming in.  Paying more than ever after a season where we have zero revenue come in and are still paying our coaches salaries is truly the worst case scenario for our athletic program and I would imagine many schools, UNT included, will be put into very tough positions.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

But the decision isn't being made today. Things change rapidly and will most certainly be different in a few weeks. A few weeks ago, things were far better. And based on non-political sources like Your Local Epidemiologist, there has been improvement since each day since last weekend. The decision do not need to be made now - neither the Big XII nor the SEC have made decisions - so let's wait and see. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, UNT18Grad said:

This really, really pains me to say, but I would rather not have a season and go into next year with the same team instead of half-assing our way through this one and having things get cancelled once one player gets the virus. 

However, the financial ramifications of not having a season are crippling, the NCAA would be forced to give everyone an extra year of eligibility so we would also be paying more than ever for our athletes in 2021 and beyond due to few seniors leaving, and a whole new class coming in.  Paying more than ever after a season where we have zero revenue come in and are still paying our coaches salaries is truly the worst case scenario for our athletic program and I would imagine many schools, UNT included, will be put into very tough positions.

Are you thinking the NCAA would allow more than 85 scholarship players for a year?

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Are you thinking the NCAA would allow more than 85 scholarship players for a year?

They'd have no choice, and it would be for much longer than a year.  They have already set the precedent by granting spring sport athletes an extra year for missing this season.  With recruiting already in full swing they can't expect teams to maintain the same roster size if nobody leaves and roughly 25 new faces show up.  I seriously doubt coaches will be willing to budge on the amount of scholarships they can offer, schools would to save money, but no way the coaches want that.  Even if they reduce the scholarship number by one from 25 to 24 it would still take 25 years for things to reset. Cancelling the season will change the way college sports operate forever. 

Not sure if they would carry this policy to football or not (one of dozens of questions that would need to be answered asap) but with those spring athletes the NCAA gave the schools power to reduce scholarship aid to $0 to those who were in their final year of eligibility.  I can't imagine any school telling a 4-5 year scholarship athlete that they can come back for their missed senior season but they have to pay their own way for everything, but that's a decision the NCAA left up to schools.  Again, with football you're dealing with roughly 20 scholarships vs maybe 5 in those spring sports so football is a whole different animal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/03/30/coronovirus-ncaa-grant-spring-sports-athletes-extra-eligibility/5090362002/

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 2

unfortunately its getting worse, and likely will continue to get worse into August... over 17% of Covid19 tests are coming back positive in Texas and that's just to high to have social interaction let alone physical sports... in the midst of all this TMS is going to host a NASCAR race with up to 75K fans in person this weekend just a few miles from our campus.  If we want football in the fall, then we need to lock everything down now.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

After the basketball tournament was cancelled, I let the department keep the money I had used to buy my full set of tickets to the entire tournament. I renewed my football tickets very early on for the 2020 year. My wife has already informed me that if the season is cancelled, we won't be letting the department keep our money. I am not going to argue with her, but I do wonder what it will do to the department if everyone wants a refund. I assume some of that money has been spent. I also wonder what it does as far as club points, or whatever you call them, goes as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SlimSlamSlum said:

After the basketball tournament was cancelled, I let the department keep the money I had used to buy my full set of tickets to the entire tournament. I renewed my football tickets very early on for the 2020 year. My wife has already informed me that if the season is cancelled, we won't be letting the department keep our money. I am not going to argue with her, but I do wonder what it will do to the department if everyone wants a refund. I assume some of that money has been spent. I also wonder what it does as far as club points, or whatever you call them, goes as well.

They came out with some options if the season is cancelled a few months ago.

1. You get a refund of your ticket money.

2.  You can donate your ticket money to the MGSF.

3.  You can push your ticket money to next season, effectively giving the AD an interest-free short term loan.  (This is likely what my family will do).

I don’t think these options pertain to the MGSF donation though, since that’s a donation, but I could be wrong there.

• Upvote 2

I allowed FC Dallas to push my season ticket to 2021. It’s good and easy for them. Of course I wanted to throw a tantrum when almost the whole freaking team showed up to Orlando positive with Covid and had to withdraw from the MLS is Back tournament. But I have since calmed down and told them just push it to 2021.  That is what I will do with the Mean Green. 

GMG

• Upvote 2