PAC 12 is now Conference Only

UNTexas

14 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I expect us to cancel the season.

Decisions certainly don't need to be rushed.   But, unless there is a major breakthrough soon regarding Covid-19, I expect the same for college football.    In fact, I expect the NBA, NCAA BB, MLB, NHL and eventually the NFL to all cancel this season.    More and more professional players are speaking out about not wanting to play with this virus  still peaking.   That mentality, plus active illnesses, are going to cause a diluted product on the field, with no fans and completely messed up schedules.    In the end, I think the sports owners, university presidents, etc will think it is just not worth the risk to play.    Then, you have to throw in the possible social implications of making the wrong decision by putting players in danger.  Nobody will want to be "that guy" or woman that puts players lives in danger, especially when a sports figure passes away from CV.     As if that isn't enough, you have all the political protests to deal with in the upcoming season.

The dominoes are already lined up.    It's just a matter of who will knock over the first one.

Just MHO.    It's a real shame.    Sports (without politics) are badly needed now.    

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Decisions certainly don't need to be rushed.   But, unless there is a major breakthrough soon regarding Covid-19, I expect the same for college football.    In fact, I expect the NBA, NCAA BB, MLB, NHL and eventually the NFL to all cancel this season.    More and more professional players are speaking out about not wanting to play with this virus  still peaking.   That mentality, plus active illnesses, are going to cause a diluted product on the field, with no fans and completely messed up schedules.    In the end, I think the sports owners, university presidents, etc will think it is just not worth the risk to play.    Then, you have to throw in the possible social implications of making the wrong decision by putting players in danger.  Nobody will want to be "that guy" or woman that puts players lives in danger, especially when a sports figure passes away from CV.     As if that isn't enough, you have all the political protests to deal with in the upcoming season.

The dominoes are already lined up.    It's just a matter of who will knock over the first one.

Just MHO.    It's a real shame.    Sports (without politics) are badly needed now.    

Back in March when the pandemic really kicked into gear here, I felt like the end goal was always the fall. Do what we can as a society to get the virus under control, relieve hospital capacity, and hopefully be ready to get things mostly back to normal when the next school year and football season started.

Regardless of how one might view or attribute the causes or legitimacy of the concern, we have failed in this, especially compared to other countries. I hope we see us a country band together and take this opportunity as a do-over for those who maybe did not pull their weight in terms of attempting to flatten the curve. Because if we all start taking this seriously as a collective, there is time to get a real football season back in the fall. But if we keep on our current trajectory, who knows when we will get football back? And at that point, the problems will likely be much bigger than just getting football back.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

I keep monitoring the COVID-19 stats.  (COVID-19 trends and responses have a direct impact on one of my projects at work.)  The Texas fatality trends are depressing.  Here lately we are setting new records every couple days for the largest number of single day deaths from COVID-19.  It's jumped up quite a bit over the past week.  We aren't trending in a good direction.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Wear your masks and stay safe.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 5

If it wasn't for conferences, the Texas teams could play 11 out of 12 of their opponents against FBS teams without leaving the state. We would all have to throw in one FCS team and we could easily do 12 games.

Edited by Venson
More information provided.
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I keep monitoring the COVID-19 stats.  (COVID-19 trends and responses have a direct impact on one of my projects at work.)  The Texas fatality trends are depressing.  Here lately we are setting new records every couple days for the largest number of single day deaths from COVID-19.  It's jumped up quite a bit over the past week.  We aren't trending in a good direction.

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Wear your masks and stay safe.

Numbers are being mis-reported. Even the article above has a disclaimer at the bottom for its numbers. CDC can't even get their shit straight. Bexar and Harris counties get caught reporting bad numbers???  Having worked in the Rio Grande Valley for a couple years....lol...I know why their numbers went thru the roof.

I'll play along for now. If by mid Nov Covid out of the news cycle I'll be cryin BS...if I'm not already doin so.

Let me have my thumbs down.....

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Numbers are being mis-reported. Even the article above has a disclaimer at the bottom for its numbers. CDC can't even get their shit straight. Bexar and Harris counties get caught reporting bad numbers???  Having worked in the Rio Grande Valley for a couple years....lol...I know why their numbers went thru the roof.

I'll play along for now. If by mid Nov Covid out of the news cycle I'll be cryin BS...if I'm not already doin so.

Let me have my thumbs down.....

Are you referring to the disclaimer that reads "Probable cases are not included in the total case numbers"?  So your point is that it could be worse than the Texas Department of State Health Services is reporting?  Okay, I'll go along with that. 

If you are referring to the disclaimer regarding estimates, note that it is preceded by an asterisk and only applies to the estimated numbers that have an asterisk.  Those numbers are clearly called out as estimates.  The fatality metrics I called out are not identified as estimates.  Also, you call out the CDC, but these figures do not come from the CDC.  Per the site, which is linked to by texas.gov, "Case and fatality information is updated daily at 4pm and is compiled from information reported publicly by local health departments and through the DSHS public health regions. Counts are current as of that morning."

All that said, if you don't want to believe what's reported, that's up to you.  The point I was making was directional.  If you want to believe that the accuracy of fatalities reported is getting more and more inaccurate over time and causing the reported trend to incorrectly go up, go for it.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Are you referring to the disclaimer that reads "Probable cases are not included in the total case numbers"?  So your point is that it could be worse than the Texas Department of State Health Services is reporting?  Okay, I'll go along with that. 

If you are referring to the disclaimer regarding estimates, note that it is preceded by an asterisk and only applies to the estimated numbers that have an asterisk.  Those numbers are clearly called out as estimates.  The fatality metrics I called out are not identified as estimates.  Also, you call out the CDC, but these figures do not come from the CDC.  Per the site, which is linked to by texas.gov, "Case and fatality information is updated daily at 4pm and is compiled from information reported publicly by local health departments and through the DSHS public health regions. Counts are current as of that morning."

All that said, if you don't want to believe what's reported, that's up to you.  The point I was making was directional.  If you want to believe that the accuracy of fatalities reported is getting more and more inaccurate over time and causing the reported trend to incorrectly go up, go for it.

Estimates= disclaimer. How do you believe any numbers when everyday they suck back and change those numbers. I don't put much into the numbers because COVID 19 has become political. The article is just more cannon fodder that you can read everyday in the news cycle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2