Confederate history is un-American

On 7/10/2020 at 12:00 PM, Skipper said:

We have all borne witness to a literal change in history recently. Images of Confederate statues and monuments being taken down in different states have flooded media since the death

View Full Article

“... a literal change in history...” 

Sorry Skipper, but you can’t change history, literally or otherwise.  Some would try, but what happened, happened and you can’t change it.  Thankfully we can learn from it, unless we erase it and future generations are unable to do so.

No, I didn’t read the article.  It was a long day at work and I just didn’t have it in me😂😂

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

22 hours ago, NT93 said:

No, I didn’t read the article.  It was a long day at work and I just didn’t have it in me😂😂

No worries.  Your assumptions are probably accurate since it was written by a early twenty something kid.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

All monuments and statues seem to offend someone .... I see that a Jimmy Hendricks statue was painted over ... Guess some religious extremist  that opposes Rock and Roll did it . ---  Even the Viet Nam memorial was vandalized  ( war protester?) ---Where does it end..??

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

All monuments and statues seem to offend someone .... I see that a Jimmy Hendricks statue was painted over ... Guess some religious extremist  that opposes Rock and Roll did it . ---  Even the Viet Nam memorial was vandalized  ( war protester?) ---Where does it end..??

Great point. Started off with confederate monuments, now it is spreading to include basically anything with the founding of America. Statutes of anti-slavery supporters has been vandalized. As a side note, have you heard of any protest dealing with the Statue of Lenin, in Seattle? As I said, the aim is quickly becoming an attempt to erase American history. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Great point. Started off with confederate monuments, now it is spreading to include basically anything with the founding of America. Statutes of anti-slavery supporters has been vandalized. As a side note, have you heard of any protest dealing with the Statue of Lenin, in Seattle? As I said, the aim is quickly becoming an attempt to erase American history. 

the Lenin statue in Seattle is privately owned and on private property. you're welcome to call on the government to attempt to remove it, but then of course from here on out in order to be intellectually consistent, you'd have to always be on the side of allowing agents of government on private property to dictate and control expression. 

no one is erasing history...just your white-washed narrative of history. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 10

I'm mostly fine with the Rebel statues coming down.  Especially the ones for the leaders (common soldiers I'm a bit more on the fence on, but I'm not gonna throw a fuss over) of the CSA.  But all the other stuff - like the Founders, US Grant, etc. -  is frankly ticking me off.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

It’s not a white-washed narrative.  It’s our country’s history.  We may not not like certain parts of it, but we can’t just get rid of the parts we don’t like and act like they never existed.  It’s just ridiculous to hold men of the 1700’s and 1800’s to the standards of today.  Men who, by the way, founded/established this great country.  Well, I always thought it was great until the last few months when I’ve been enlightened to find out it’s terrible and has been since 1776.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, NT93 said:

It’s not a white-washed narrative.  It’s our country’s history.  We may not not like certain parts of it, but we can’t just get rid of the parts we don’t like and act like they never existed.  It’s just ridiculous to hold men of the 1700’s and 1800’s to the standards of today.  Men who, by the way, founded/established this great country.  Well, I always thought it was great until the last few months when I’ve been enlightened to find out it’s terrible and has been since 1776.

the idea that confederate monuments, largely erected in the 50-100 years after the war, were meant to educate is a white-washed narrative. the Daughters of the Confederacy is a white-supremacist organization and these monuments were a mechanism for pushing that doctrine. 

Texas has over 200 memorials to the confederacy. it has 1 union memorial.

Texas has confederate soldiers day as a state holiday and confederate history month.

of it's 6 flags, Texas existed under the confederacy the shortest period of time. we're literally more French than confederate, yet because of the work and lobbying of a white-supremacist organization, every lifted Dodge pick-up and east texas double-wide flies a stars and bars flag rather than Drapeau Français

• Upvote 10
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

3 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

the idea that confederate monuments, largely erected in the 50-100 years after the war, were meant to educate is a white-washed narrative. the Daughters of the Confederacy is a white-supremacist organization and these monuments were a mechanism for pushing that doctrine. 

Texas has over 200 memorials to the confederacy. it has 1 union memorial.

Texas has confederate soldiers day as a state holiday and confederate history month.

of it's 6 flags, Texas existed under the confederacy the shortest period of time. we're literally more French than confederate, yet because of the work and lobbying of a white-supremacist organization, every lifted Dodge pick-up and east texas double-wide flies a stars and bars flag rather than Drapeau Français

"Stars & Bars" flag:
1stnat13.jpg

No one ever flies this. 
And I'm almost positive that if you asked any of the dips**ts who fly the "Rebel" flag (The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, re: R.E.Lee's Army), about 95% of them would have no idea what you're showing them.   And they'd most-likely be in your shoes in referring to the Rebel flag as the "Stars & Bars".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

the Lenin statue in Seattle is privately owned and on private property. you're welcome to call on the government to attempt to remove it, but then of course from here on out in order to be intellectually consistent, you'd have to always be on the side of allowing agents of government on private property to dictate and control expression. 

I have never called for it's removal. Now lets see if you are consistent. Do you support any statute that is on private property or only the ones you approve of?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

...every lifted Dodge pick-up and east texas double-wide flies a stars and bars flag rather than Drapeau Français

Whew!  Glad my son drives a Chevy or I might think you were calling him a red neck even though you know absolutely nothing about him.  I’m really glad he doesn’t live in a double-wide or you’d certainly consider him to be beneath you.  

I always thought “the left” was against stereotypes.  You know, because they can be considered offensive and make people feel bad. I guess I was mistaken.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I have never called for it's removal. Now lets see if you are consistent. Do you support any statute that is on private property or only the ones you approve of?

I don't recall "supporting" any statue. I was pointing out that your comparison was not like-for-like with the conversation around confederate memorials on government property. 

to your question...I'd say you're pretty damn welcome to put what you want on private property, but much like your right to freedom of speech, don't anticipate that you'll be able to do so with complete impunity from public response and criticism. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

38 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Whew!  Glad my son drives a Chevy or I might think you were calling him a red neck even though you know absolutely nothing about him.  I’m really glad he doesn’t live in a double-wide or you’d certainly consider him to be beneath you.  

I always thought “the left” was against stereotypes.  You know, because they can be considered offensive and make people feel bad. I guess I was mistaken.

of course not. just Dodge. 

hillbillies drive Chevys.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2