Big Ten Expecting Conference-Only Fall Season

BillySee58

FBS opponents for NT are aTm, Houston, and SMU. I'm not sure what the payout is for the aTm game but I don't think we're in as bad a position as other programs if that particular game gets canceled.

• Upvote 2

The great news is the SEC will be last to join the party.  They’ll stand strong long after the mid American sun belt and patriot league cancel Their fall games.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

This is actually damn good news as it would allow us to get out of the body bag game with TAMU.

Maybe? Hopefully we aren't counting on the revenue from the canceled game with aTm.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

This is actually damn good news as it would allow us to get out of the body bag game with TAMU.

yeah, except if every CUSA school has their body bag games cancelled, i'm not sure all of them can keep playing football this fall

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Typical G5 is going to lose about 5% of their budget from game guarantees. Even if crowds are allowed with no social distancing restrictions ticket sales will be down everywhere I imagine if we have games the national average attendance will be lowest of most of our lifetimes. Sponsors going to want a break if crowds are restricted and fewer games played. Radio networks same thing. Enrollment is going to be down as well so schools will have to cut expenses. 

The B1G and presumably soon ACC and Pac12 are in asset protection mode. ESPN and Fox don’t shell out those bucks for South Dakota State at Nebraska, they know little to nothing about the non-conference slate when they bid. They are paying for intra-conference games. B1G can spread 9 games over 14 weeks to meet obligations and have rescheduling flexibility. B1G will get 100% or close to it of their TV if they can play the league season 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Maybe? Hopefully we aren't counting on the revenue from the canceled game with aTm.

Yeah, that's my fear.   
Especially if somehow we are still on the hook to play HBU.  Not only are we not getting the paycheck from A&M, but we have to pay HBU, and only keep the stadium at 50% capacity, half of which are for students that don't pay at the gate (granted they already pay quite a bit in fees).

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yeah, that's my fear.   
Especially if somehow we are still on the hook to play HBU.  Not only are we not getting the paycheck from A&M, but we have to pay HBU, and only keep the stadium at 50% capacity, half of which are for students that don't pay at the gate (granted they already pay quite a bit in fees).

I read part of the reason that the P5 conferences don't want non conference games is it allows their conference to maintain a high level of testing and quarantine.  I would fear that a school like HBU would not have the resources to adequately test and treat their covid players.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I disagree. We're slated to receive $1.25 MILLION dollars from TAMU. We're in a severe budget crunch due to Covid-19. 1.25 M would go a long way to help offset the current financial losses.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I read part of the reason that the P5 conferences don't want non conference games is it allows their conference to maintain a high level of testing and quarantine.  I would fear that a school like HBU would not have the resources to adequately test and treat their covid players.

That or they want the flexibility to move their games around and adjust if Penn State has several players get sick 3rd week in September.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C Rod said:

I disagree. We're slated to receive $1.25 MILLION dollars from TAMU. We're in a severe budget crunch due to Covid-19. 1.25 M would go a long way to help offset the current financial losses.

If we played the game in a stadium with very few or no fans would we sill get the full 1.25??