Abbott is making mistake opening schools during fall

18 hours ago, THOR said:

we have been doing half and half on days at the middle school level in denton to start the year, with about 40 kids in my grade doing all online.  starting monday, we will have all kids back in school, except for those that are doing the first 9 weeks online...so great to have them all back!  few kids in school (about 50 a day for my grade level) is weird and not good for them.  stoked to have them all back on monday!

How are you feeling as a teacher? My fiancee might have to go back to her east austin school district in October and is terrified, especially as a germaphobe. 

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

How are you feeling as a teacher? My fiancee might have to go back to her east austin school district in October and is terrified, especially as a germaphobe. 

total honesty here...year 21 of teaching for me, 43 year old male, only have high blood pressure

i'm not concerned one bit.  i understand covid can be deadly or debilatating, but not a concern.  plenty of diseases/sicknesses are and i don't react to those.

kids are wearing masks, so are teachers.  for the record, i'm not a mask guy, never have been, never will be, but i will wear one if i'm told or required too do so.  i have said in the past that i get it now that we should wear a mask, but it's been months of requirements and denton and it's still not gone with covid, so i don't get it.  

students need to be in school.  online teaching isn't the same.  i totally forget to start my teams meeting with them and rarely interact with them.  in person is my priority.  i do what i can, but i can not provide the same level of teaching to online kids as i can to in person.  other teachers may be able too, but i'm not one of the.  in our school, i have to do both and i totally fail those kids online once the directions are given.  whether it is because i can not fully concentrate on them, the discussion is lacking, or it's just not a priority to me, not sure.   kids in class are my priority...teacher/student interaction is so much of the learning experience...not going to deny those kids.

we clean all desks/chromebooks/handles after every class.  masks are required at all times.  we can't be more safe...shit happens, someone in my school will get it.  i may get it, but life goes on.  the kids are enjoying the hell out of seeing their friends again and talking during class.  the kids need this.

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3