Abbott is making mistake opening schools during fall

58 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

If you think peer reviewed scientists and world renowned medical organizations  that make NO attempts to hide their identity are the same trustworthy category as a Tea Party political organization (EmpowerTexans) and be hides behind news adjacent websites -- I genuinely feel bad for you. 

If you didn't sniff out "Texas scorecard" as not a "real" news outlet and more a press release agent for some other cause - again - that's crazy. They called it the "Chinese coronavirus" FFS!

You seem to pride yourself on seeking out other news sources, but you are only quoting very right wing sites. I don't like reading sites that aren't being honest with who they are.

As for "believing" what is on Texas Scorecard, I have no reason to doubt them reporting that Prosper is going back to school. I can verify that elsewhere. But if it were a "real" news article it would include some testing data, covid related news, hospital data, etc. That's my expectations for a news source.

no, i don't feel that way...all i did was point to an article that had statistics for a local district

oh no...they say "chinese coronavirus"...how will anyone survive...i didn't realize everything had to be to your liking and politically correct.  good lord this world has become so sensitive to words they don't like.  whatever happened to sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me?  i don't see the issue calling it a chinese virus if it started in china...ya know...it's originating place.  and no, i don't know "real' news outlets...that's totally on me and i trust a school district that gives me numbers and plans on starting on time.  

i post what i find with factual numbers, which the % of prosper students wanting to go back is.  

cool, i understand that last point.  i like seeing actual testing data/research/wahtever, but if it's a number of students wanting to go back, in prosper, that you can find elsewhere, i don't see the issue

in conclusion, i see that you have an issue with the website i linked (cool, your choice) and that you didn't answer the question that you believe everything written on the 3 sites i listed and i assume every other site you post links from.

i get it...we believe totally differently, totally cool...i'll still buy ya beer at fb games and gmg charity events, but you seem like one closeminded guy that only believes things from websites they agree with and promotes their ideals.  that's sad man...i don't get it.  i'm open to others thoughts and have even changed my mind on masks (don't like to wear them, but now understand i should) and a few other things, plus i see other people's side to things, yet you seem to only believe information from your sites and what you believe.(based upon gmg posts)   i've yet to see something about you understanding why someone may think differently from how you do(granted, i'm old and drink a lot, so i may have missed it)...sucks man, but again, i'll still buy ya beer if you ever need it.

edit:  you said in your second point that if i couldn't see it wasn't a real news source and that they called it the china virus then i was crazy, yet your last points said you have no reason to doubt prosper going back to school...so...i'm confused now...is it the website that prosper used or just the website or that prosper is going back to school that you don't like and had to say it's crazy?

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

It's ok. We can feel sorry for each other. Doesn't hurt my feelings. If you think I sound like someone that never changes my mind or admits when I'm not knowing, then you aren't following along. I always thank a correction or someone helping me find a way. In this thread, I said I didn't know how federal funding worked for schools, someone answered, I thanked.. then went to look more in TEA.

I wouldn't be reading Texas scorecard as a news source - period. Their stats on how the parents chose? As I said, I could validate it elsewhere, but in my world I would have linked directly to Prosper ISD for the numbers.

But if someone is to feel bad for me trusting Mayo Clinic over Texas Scorecard - I will sleep fine. 

I'm tired of the fake shit about this pandemic. Whether it's the immunity, the heat will kill it off, summer will make it disappear, community spread, studies that don't apply, cherry picking lines from articles, not believing flu shots are vaccines, it's just bad faith... 

I don't care about "beliefs" when science doesn't agree. I don't like a teacher not seeing the black and white in certain issues dealing with medicine or science. This isn't a topic about if I believe Taylor Swift's new album is truly folk music or not... 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

52 minutes ago, THOR said:

oh no...they say "chinese coronavirus"...how will anyone survive...i didn't realize everything had to be to your liking and politically correct.  good lord this world has become so sensitive to words they don't like. 

This is absurd. That's my belief. 

I believe Trump is a clown, in every way. Yet, even with my firm belief of his clownnedd, I wouldn't link or trust a "news" site that referred to him by Clown instead of President. I'm looking for facts and not snarky GOP trolling. That's what China virus is.. a troll. It's not the name of the virus. It's not about politic correctness. It's about not being an asshole.

Words matter. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

25 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I ain't care about genre...that shit lit. 

I loaded it up right away in the morning. Told Alexa to play it for the morning routine.  I was always curious why She wasn't more influenced by her marriage to Ryan Adams.. but then again he's not a good guy so I bet working with him would be terrible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I loaded it up right away in the morning. Told Alexa to play it for the morning routine.  I was always curious why She wasn't more influenced by her marriage to Ryan Adams.. but then again he's not a good guy so I bet working with him would be terrible.

a bit of confusion there...Ryan Adams was married to Mandy Moore. he only did a full folk cover of Taylor Swift's 1989 album...they, so far as internet knows, were never a couple. 

also, ya...apparently he's a real douche...but so long as people are still gonna spin Thriller, I'm gonna keep spinning Heartbreaker

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Ah damn it. I mixed up my pop white girls. My bad. My mind had them married, not Moore. But duh, Taylor has not been married yet. 

See @THOR ? 

Oh My Sweet Carolina - a classic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

25 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Ah damn it. I mixed up my pop white girls. My bad. My mind had them married, not Moore. But duh, Taylor has not been married yet. 

See @THOR ? 

Oh My Sweet Carolina - a classic. 

Got it...i'm sorry i ever questioned anything about y your openmindedness and willingness to see/understand why others may think how they do...my bad...you are awesome

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

10 minutes ago, THOR said:

Got it...i'm sorry i ever questioned anything about y your openmindedness and willingness to see/understand why others may think how they do...my bad...you are awesome

Thanks. 

I hope you don't teach both sides of the Jew genocide.. or that slaves were actual more happy in slavery and didn't want to be freed.

There are just some right sides of topics. That's my only point.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Thanks. 

I hope you don't teach both sides of the Jew genocide.. or that slaves were actual more happy in slavery and didn't want to be freed.

There are just some right sides of topics. That's my only point.

I teach all view points, good and bad. Its important for kids to understand why some people think the way they do....right and wrong. It's called having an open mind and seeing other cultures and understanding their beliefs.

Guess it's a good thing I never taught you in class.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Holocaust denial is not a "side."  That's my point and one you don't want to see.

Having condoms in health class is good or bad - I can listen to beliefs and think about it. If Mandy Moore is a better actor or singer.. all ears.. 

Not all things have "sides."

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

53 minutes ago, THOR said:

It's called having an open mind and seeing other cultures and understanding their beliefs

If this were some anthropology session, yes, let's understand why the Korowai culture practices cannibalism and then we can teach their beliefs and why they do it... But that's not a our life. I'm not going to ever say it's ok to kill and eat a person in the modern world. 

I have an open mind. You don't know me. That's cool. I'm open to understanding people's opposition to declawing cats or pro-circumcision. But definitely not hearing arguments for clitoral mutilation. There are lines where open mindedness isn't a pass.

Quoting studies about safety of kids in schools, when those studies do not apply to a state with 200 people a day.. and not acknowledging that is bad faith. Not open-minded.

Saying the risk of dying in a car crash is higher is just 100% not true. There is not an open mind to that. Less than 100 people die in car accidents in a given day in the whole US.

Saying the flu is as dangerous or the flu kills just as many people. Not even close.

Saying there aren't more overall deaths, it's just made up diagnosing, just factually wrong.

There are not sides to those things. They are just false.. not opinions or beliefs.. just false. I don't need an open mind. I need to seek the information available and trust the experts. Not a football message board telling me the "China virus" will go away when we reach summer. 

Today we had 1200+ cases in Dallas County. the reporting anomalies were fixed. 16 deaths. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

i teach all sides and explain to the best of my capabilities to kids why people believed as they did. not once did i say it was right, but i'm still going to explain to the kids why people believe what they did and did what they did. i'm not going to whitewash history or only portray the good parts.  people need to know why others think the way they do/did.  obviously, you don't like that...cool.  

from a cultural standpoint, there are  reasons for clitorial mutilation/genocide that make sense to those people (not to us, but we aren't living in their society or history).  that's all im saying...  i never said i agreed with that or genocide or whatever you want to say.

edit:  i also teach religion, but i'm not about to tell them all the good things about them without letting them know about the negatives.  

Edited by THOR
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

At the very least he (GOP think tank leader) is being out and open with his willingness to let hispanics die - topped off with mic drop. Poor guy - he is just misunderstood. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/28/vance-ginn-texas-coronavirus/ 

"Almost 53% of public school students were Hispanic in 2018-19 and more than 60% are economically disadvantaged, according to Texas Education Agency data. Public health experts have said schools that reopen in areas with high and fast-rising rates of community spread are likely to exacerbate the effects of the virus. That means staff and students could bring the virus home to their families."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

221 out of about 1200 have now chosen online learning.  positives of the numbers going up are smaller class sizes and easier to social distance in class.  the safety protocols are great in school.  i don't see how they could have done any more to make this safer.  no problem going to school with kids every day or sending my own.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, THOR said:

the safety protocols are great in school.

You will have < 20% decline in person students. That is not huge. In a class of 30 - you will have 25 present.  How will the school handle hallways? Will the class switches be staggered to allow for the hallways/stairwells to be less dense? 

That picture above is pretty scary for anyone that believes how the virus transmits. Obviously GA seems to be playing by a different set of rules - with the governor outlawing mask mandates. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You will have < 20% decline in person students. That is not huge. In a class of 30 - you will have 25 present.  How will the school handle hallways? Will the class switches be staggered to allow for the hallways/stairwells to be less dense? 

That picture above is pretty scary for anyone that believes how the virus transmits. Obviously GA seems to be playing by a different set of rules - with the governor outlawing mask mandates. 

the numbers of online kids will go up.  officially, they have to decide by mid august, but truthfully, they can do home learning whenever they decide, just have to commit to finishing out a 9 week grading period. 

as for hallways, my school is unique.  there are only a few hallways and they are very wide.  grade levels are setup in "pods" and have a shitton of open space.  masks are required in all common areas and release will be staggered a bit.  we don't have traditional stairwells, but open stairs...not quite sure how to describe it. no first floor celing, really, except for a few spots.  grade level pods are 2 floors, but totally open to the ceiling of the building.  

hope that makes sense...it's not a normal middle school with long hallways/short celings and cramped areas.  it is very open

we have also added multiple teachers/sections per grade level to lower numbers.  they will never be really small, but they will be smaller than what i am used to (28+)

Edited by THOR
  • Thanks 1

---Huge schools need to think twice about opening but small districts especially with no or almost no cases in the area should be allowed to be wide open.  Each area/district need to make their own decisions without a state wide mandate to be open or closed.  Pictures of that Georgia school are crazy .... no way that could be safe and they will pay for it . 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 5

As for Abbott .... i do respect him and think he is trying to make good decisions and is not afraid to change his opinion as conditions change ..... As for Trump ..Go to Hell ..... Life is all about him plus getting re-elected  and most of his comments are stupid.  He appears to me to very dumb as well.. if you don't think so .. go listen his 2019 4th July speech if you doubt me.... He mentioning taking airfields in Revolutionary War (true), Cornwallis at Battle of Trenton (try Yorktown) , and Fort McHenry which was in War of 1812.... not in the revolution ..... Damn ... most middle schoolers know better than that and also the stupid remarks made by him regularly when not reading one from speech-writers. . .... 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/05/flight-of-fancy-trump-claims-1775-revolutionary-army-took-over-airports

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

we have been doing half and half on days at the middle school level in denton to start the year, with about 40 kids in my grade doing all online.  starting monday, we will have all kids back in school, except for those that are doing the first 9 weeks online...so great to have them all back!  few kids in school (about 50 a day for my grade level) is weird and not good for them.  stoked to have them all back on monday!

• Upvote 5