Stanford cut 11 Varsity Sports

Most notable Men's volleyball and wrestling 

The 11 sports that will be discontinued are men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29429478/stanford-cut-11-varsity-sports-cites-pandemic-breaking-point

• Eye Roll 1

Men’s volleyball is a BIG deal. Out west programs like Stanford UCLA Long Beach State Hawaii and BYU are premier programs with solid followings. This is a big development. I even went to a game on campus a few years back. It was fun. 
GMG

It's horrible that all of these colleges are having to cut so many varsity sports.

I wish the NCAA would allow Division 1 schools to be Division 1 in the major revenue sports, and non-scholarship Division III in all the non-revenue sports.

It would enable the colleges to save huge amounts of scholarship money, and it would enable far more student participation. All our former 'club' sports would have budgets for uniforms and regional travel, and we could then have varsity Div III rugby, baseball, men's soccer, hockey, lacrosse, water skiing, bass fishing , rowing, sand volleyball, fencing, gymnastics, or whatever students want. Sports played could be determined by actual interest of participants and not by budget restrictions and Title IX restrictions.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1

Cut 11 sports and still have more than about every school in the NCAA.

This 16 sports nuisance needs to be lowered during the pandemic and title 9 needs to be rethought.  Financial ramifications and participation rates have to become factors.  

Football needs to be exempted and every other sport have equal participation between men and women. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Danish43 said:

But I thought Stanford was a very wealthy school. It costs tons of money to go there. I believe Google HQ is located in the same city.

Perhaps using the Coronavirus thing as a cover to dump sports and budgets they have been looking to dump for some time just couldn't figure out a reason folks would believe. They now have that reason... Just a thought. And, I believe you will see other universities doing the exact same thing. Note, too, that Vanderbilt just cut the entire Athletic Dept SID budget...transferred it to the university's information office. You really think this wasn't a move Vandy had been wanting to make for some time? Coronavirus giving excellent cover for folks to do a lot of things...public schools, private schools, government agencies, pro sports, corporations, etc. 

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Perhaps using the Coronavirus thing as a cover to dump sports and budgets they have been looking to dump for some time just couldn't figure out a reason folks would believe. They now have that reason... Just a thought. And, I believe you will see other universities doing the exact same thing. Note, too, that Vanderbilt just cut the entire Athletic Dept SID budget...transferred it to the university's information office. You really think this wasn't a move Vandy had been wanting to make for some time? Coronavirus giving excellent cover for folks to do a lot of things...public schools, private schools, government agencies, pro sports, corporations, etc. 

The budgets of most California Universities have been suffering due to many reasons. Covid issues have been the breaking point for many and I am sure more are to come.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

And, so it continues. Perfect “cover” found to pare down athletic budgets that have been getting harder and harder for many schools to maintain. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

And, so it continues. Perfect “cover” found to pare down athletic budgets that have been getting harder and harder for many schools to maintain. 

Combine the current situation with a growing number of places where people feel academics should be more emphasized than Athletics, you might see a lot of this happening.

I wonder if these schools will try and keep the same student per hour fees in place even though they are reducing sports?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Vandy dropped their AD and athletic department back in 2003 so this is no surprise on their part. 

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Vanderbilt-U-Keeps-Sports-but/24001

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The budgets of most California Universities have been suffering due to many reasons. Covid issues have been the breaking point for many and I am sure more are to come.

True, but I had always left Stanford out of that equation considering they are not a public institution.  Here is an article stating how they arrived at which sports to eliminate.  Also interesting to note in the article, Stanford sponsors(ed) the most sports in D1 except for Ohio State, which sponsors an incredible 37 sports.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/college/stanford-explains-decision-to-cut-11-varsity-sports.html?eid=324696786&bid=2659836

Edited by UNTLifer