College Football News Preview 2020: North Texas Mean Green

– The offense that was suppose to be among the nation’s most statistically dangerous never quite got going. New changes at offensive coordinator might be able to do something to boost up an attack that was fine – it finished third in Conference USA – but didn’t do what it was supposed to.

Where has the bar been set for offensive production under head coach Seth Littrell? North Texas was second in the league averaging 283 passing yards per game, and it still wasn’t enough.

• Upvote 1

The offensive line is going to be an early issue. The Mean Green wasn’t great in pass protection and only paved the way for 135 rushing yards per game. Almost everyone needs to be replaced, but 6-1, 292-pound Manase Mose is back at guard – everything else has to work in around him. A slew of JUCO transfers will give it a shot.

• Upvote 1

The 2018 offense ran for 160 yards five times, and won all five games. The 2019 attack only hit the mark twice, and it one once, and lost to SMU.

Under Littrell, North Texas is 16-1 when it gets those 160 yards.

☝️☝️☝️🙏💯

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Think the QB position is up for grabs..didnt see Aune mentioned

Kentucky transfer Amani Gilmore is an interesting option with his running ability, but sophomore Jason Bean and former Arkansas transfer Austin Aune will get the first cracks of the gig after serving as Fine’s backups. Bean was the No. 2 – it’s his job to lose.

• Upvote 1

This article is poorly written and researched.

He mentions a "slew of JUCO transfers will give it a shot" in relation to the offensive line.  We signed six OL's in the last class with two JUCO transfers.

Here is his comments regarding Darden: "5-9, 172-pound senior Jaylon Darden is back after leading the way with 76 touchdowns and 12 scores, but he was a midrange target."

DB's: As noted above, no mention of Gaddie and Rucker will have to sit a year: "Senior Cam Johnson is back at one corner, and there’s help from the young parts returning along with Purdue transfer Jordan Rucker. Makyle Sanders – who made 38 tackles – and Keelan Crosby to come through at safety."

Best offensive players: He mentions Darden, Siggers and Torrey, which I agree with, but then rounds out his top 5 with Mooney and Mose.  I can live with Mose, but putting Mooney in there is crazy.  He had a great year and is an asset on special teams, how can you overlook Shorter?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This article is poorly written and researched.

He mentions a "slew of JUCO transfers will give it a shot" in relation to the offensive line.  We signed six OL's in the last class with two JUCO transfers.

Here is his comments regarding Darden: "5-9, 172-pound senior Jaylon Darden is back after leading the way with 76 touchdowns and 12 scores, but he was a midrange target."

DB's: As noted above, no mention of Gaddie and Rucker will have to sit a year: "Senior Cam Johnson is back at one corner, and there’s help from the young parts returning along with Purdue transfer Jordan Rucker. Makyle Sanders – who made 38 tackles – and Keelan Crosby to come through at safety."

Best offensive players: He mentions Darden, Siggers and Torrey, which I agree with, but then rounds out his top 5 with Mooney and Mose.  I can live with Mose, but putting Mooney in there is crazy.  He had a great year and is an asset on special teams, how can you overlook Shorter?

I thought the article was ok, it could have obviously been better.  However, unfortunately any publicity for G5's is needed and welcome. 

Why would Graddie have to sit out a year?

Mooney is almost universally hailed as the best kicker returning to CUSA.  He was 16 of 20 field goals.  Why do you think he does not deserve to be on this list?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

With the offensive line, I keep coming back to wondering if Erik Williams could have a chance to break the starting lineup. A lot of our guys competing for spots are between 270 and 280, so if he comes in around that weight I could see him having a shot.

He obviously had the technique and the footwork to be able to be that highly rated.  That much weight just might earn him a starting job as a true.  I am really curious about what the new offensive line coach will mean to this year's team.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I thought the article was ok, it could have obviously been better.  However, unfortunately any publicity for G5's is needed and welcome. 

Why would Graddie have to sit out a year?

Mooney is almost universally hailed as the best kicker returning to CUSA.  He was 16 of 20 field goals.  Why do you think he does not deserve to be on this list?

Sorry for the confusion on the sentence about the DB's.  I only meant Rucker would have to sit out this year.

Mooney is great, don't get me wrong, but when picking offensive players I tend to think of every down guys.

• Upvote 2

On 7/3/2020 at 11:35 AM, UNTLifer said:

Kentucky transfer Amani Gilmore is an interesting option with his running ability, but sophomore Jason Bean and former Arkansas transfer Austin Aune will get the first cracks of the gig after serving as Fine’s backups. Bean was the No. 2 – it’s his job to lose.

Bean is bad, Aune has been away from the game for a LONG time & Gilmore sits out 2020 and will never start if this year's starter does well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, Dk79 said:

Bean is bad, Aune has been away from the game for a LONG time & Gilmore sits out 2020 and will never start if this year's starter does well. 

Aune has been in a college program since January 2018, which is longer than any other quarterback on our roster. Reading this board you might think he hasn’t touched a football since he graduated high school 8 years ago.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Aune has been in a college program since January 2018, which is longer than any other quarterback on our roster. Reading this board you might think he hasn’t touched a football since he graduated high school 8 years ago.

True...Aune has been in a college program since Jan of 2018. That's not the same as being a starter or getting the majority of reps. From 2012-2017 he was about as far removed from the game as you can be...but I'm sure he touched a football during that time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Dk79 said:

True...Aune has been in a college program since Jan of 2018. That's not the same as being a starter or getting the majority of reps. From 2012-2017 he was about as far removed from the game as you can be...but I'm sure he touched a football during that time. 

Your comment was “Aune has been away from the game for a LONG time.” Not that he hasn’t started a game in a long time.

• Upvote 2