NFL Redskins to change their name?

31 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

@Censored by Laurie have we established which camp I fall in yet? I don’t feel comfortable being called liberal but overlord seems kind of appealing. 

eh...you really don't get much from it. there are like 75 different camps on the proper way to overlord (or overlady) with the only real binding tie being smug-ness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, THOR said:

So the majority of blacks didnt vote for desegregation? I have no idea, but it should have been their choice. 

Dont know why you immediately went racial once I said what I did that never mentioned race

The majority of *people*, specifically those not black throughout the country, were against desegregation of schools when board vs brown was ruled. And yes, we are mentioning race seeing as how the post says "NFL Redskins to change their name?". It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but it was one of the first examples to cross my mind in response to your "majority rules" beliefs. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

eh...you really don't get much from it. there are like 75 different camps on the proper way to overlord (or overlady) with the only real binding tie being smug-ness. 

I am down with being smug. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/6/2020 at 6:00 PM, THOR said:

So the majority of blacks didnt vote for desegregation? I have no idea, but it should have been their choice. 

Dont know why you immediately went racial once I said what I did that never mentioned race

Because that's what they do.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Question is, will the "Cowboys" be next on the chopping block?  You know, many of us oldtimers played "Cowboys and Indians" as kids.

I grew up in the household of a  World War II history buff...as kids we used to re-enact the Moro River Campaign of '43 between the English and the Italians, but we called it "Brits and Guineas" is that ok?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Question is, will the "Cowboys" be next on the chopping block?  You know, many of us oldtimers played "Cowboys and Indians" as kids.

If so, I hope we go with Pale Faces.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

----The term liberals bothers me .... Progressives ... ok ... Liberals to me means free sex, drugs, hippy-types and doing whatever you want ... Progressives is about changing things that need changing .[ie. progress] ... like integration, rights for minorities and that includes women which could not even serve on Juries in Texas until about 1970 or conduct business ( my mother tried at times and they said they had to check with her husband, my father first) ... I believe in progress ... and not making America great again like in the 1950's when women and minorities had limited rights and opportunities.  I lived then and the blacks in my HS class could not attend ANY SWC college after graduation and in places could not use typical restaurant and many other things...... Those were not changed by  "so-called " conservatives...  If you were not alive then you might be shocked at how things were.. also no interstate hwy... . Things change ... even in the 70's, likely had only  4-8 TV channels, no PC computers, no cell phones, paid long distance calls and not cheap, and so much more that exists today. Do you really think things "were great then"... or in the 50's. ???  ----- Except for the virus .... recent years, not just 3 have been great compared to those years. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I hope Washington keeps some Native America term as a name.... and keeps the symbol ... I see nothing offensive about it, in fact the opposite.  ... The name... I get that. 

Agreed.  In my opinion, it's honoring to have a team named after you.  It makes no sense that anyone would ever name a team something derogatory.  I realize over time things that were once acceptable can become unacceptable, but I just can't imagine anyone during any time period naming a team a derogatory name.  I personally think the Redskins logo displays the strength of the American Indian and I would hate to see it go away. 

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

On 7/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, Censored by Laurie said:

I grew up in the household of a  World War II history buff...as kids we used to re-enact the Moro River Campaign of '43 between the English and the Italians, but we called it "Brits and Guineas" is that ok?

Don't you mean, the Brits and Wops?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Don't you mean, the Brits and Wops?

oh no...definitely Guineas. 

see...much like "Indian" comes from the ancestral home of our native americans, the West Indies..."Guinea" too refers to the clear and obvious fact that Italians actually aren't European but rather decendant of West Africa. 

intellectual consistency was drilled into me from a young age...even in our games!

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3

4 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

oh no...definitely Guineas. 

see...much like "Indian" comes from the ancestral home of our native americans, the West Indies..."Guinea" too refers to the clear and obvious fact that Italians actually aren't European but rather decendant of West Africa. 

intellectual consistency was drilled into me from a young age...even in our games!

thus the 3 countries with Guinea in their name is western africa (equatorial guinea is close enough)

Edited by THOR
  • Thanks 1