NFL Redskins to change their name?

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF

Serious?   If so, imagine yourself in the shoes of one of those 1.6%.  “Redskins” isn’t even a virtuous term like “Braves”.  Its superficially degrading at best, and outright derogatory at worst.  It’s about time to go.

I love the potato idea.  Put a lil’ dollop of sour cream on it with some, cheese shreds, chives & pieces of bacon...  They may actually gain more fans with it.

Potato crush This was too good to be true .. Just like potato ...

I don't know if Red Potato Skins is really a good choice for a mascot. 

The University of Denver tried something similar years ago with a stylized Baked Potato and it wasn't very popular.

WCHA FINAL FIVE: Denver advances to title game in win over ...

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:45 PM, DeepGreen said:

Change Dallas' team the "Cowboys"?   

Where does that leave my childhood hero, Roy Rogers?  Did Roy mistreat Tonto all those years?  Who knew?

Actually, it was the Lone Ranger who mistreated Tonto...

even though Tonto saved his life...

but, Ill bet he would have left him for the wolves if he'd known he was a entitled, white supremacist racist.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, ADLER said:

Potato crush This was too good to be true .. Just like potato ...

I don't know if Red Potato Skins is really a good choice for a mascot. 

The University of Denver tried something similar years ago with a stylized Baked Potato and it wasn't very popular.

WCHA FINAL FIVE: Denver advances to title game in win over ...

I always thought the name Foreskins was a pretty good name for them.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

I use to travel a lot to to Gallup, NM which is the middle of the Navajo Nation.   Many native Americans were wearing Redskin gear and jackets but they also wore a lot of Cowboy gear as well.

I can understand changing the name.  I was thinking maybe the Washington Barbers or the Washington Congress has a nice ring to it.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The fact that we still have a team called “The Redskins” is amazing. The NFL would fire someone photographed 30 years ago in “black face” but “red skins” is ok  

Their hypocrisy on this is equally amazing...

Except you, or no one else, gave a rats ass about it until a few weeks ago. Where was the outrage then?

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Except you, or no one else, gave a rats ass about it until a few weeks ago. Where was the outrage then?

I don’t really give a rats ass now...

I was just making an observation....

And most of the “outrage” is fake anyway being that it’s the usual folks being “outraged”

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

10 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don’t really give a rats ass now...

I was just making an observation....

And most of the “outrage” is fake anyway being that it’s the usual folks being “outraged”

I don’t think you have to have to be left or right to agree that “red skins” is kind of shocking. And it’s more shocking today....

The question is....do a large portion of Native Americans even care?

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Ah the ole "your outrage is fake because you didn't protest in the streets 5 years ago" galaxy brained take, like we're all living in a static timeline where nothing changes and no one learns any new information throughout their lifetime. What's the cutoff date for when one had to speak up in order to support progress and hope for the name to be removed? What if I said the name should change on twitter or facebook in 2012 but not on gomeangreen.com, am I allowed to be outraged?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Ah the ole "your outrage is fake because you didn't protest in the streets 5 years ago" galaxy brained take, like we're all living in a static timeline where nothing changes and no one learns any new information throughout their lifetime. What's the cutoff date for when one had to speak up in order to support progress and hope for the name to be removed? What if I said the name should change on twitter or facebook in 2012 but not on gomeangreen.com, am I allowed to be outraged?

You can be outraged all you like. So, when did your outrage begin? Last month?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 5

12 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

You can be outraged all you like. So, when did your outrage begin? Last month?

Outraged may not be the right word, but the name has raised my eyebrows probably since I was a teenager, does that qualify? Thanks for proving my point, too. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Actually, it was the Lone Ranger who mistreated Tonto...

even though Tonto saved his life...

but, Ill bet he would have left him for the wolves if he'd known he was a entitled, white supremacist racist.

DeepGreen forgot to take his medication.  Of course it was the Lone Ranger!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

3 YEARS AGO: 

On 6/21/2017 at 1:27 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, one of those is a proper name of a Native American Nation.   The other is a derogatory reference to those Native Americans.

Names like "Seminoles", "Illini", "Utes", "Chippewas", etc... are not offensive, if anything they're empowering.   "Redskins", "Savages", and to a much lesser extent "Indians" are not empowering at all.  They're generalizing, if not flat-out offensive terms towards these same people.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:04 AM, Aldo said:

I think you are manufacturing an argument that justifies calling a group (which consists of individuals) whatever you want, even after that group (that consists of individuals) has asked you to stop.

This isn't about being politically correct. Someone has asked you to stop calling them something. Be a decent person and stop calling them that something. This shouldn't be difficult.

4 YEARS AGO: 

On 9/16/2016 at 10:13 PM, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Like I said, try to same with any other race or culture and see how it sounds. 

6 YEARS AGO: 

On 6/18/2014 at 11:34 AM, Cerebus said:

I always though it was a offensive name, and wondered why no one made a big deal out of it

On 6/18/2014 at 12:35 PM, Green P1 said:

But it is pretty offensive... Right?

On 6/19/2014 at 1:03 AM, oldguystudent said:

Redskins isn't like Illini or Seminoles or Fighting Irish or even Indians. It's not even like changing the name of the Cowboys to the Dallas Rednecks. There are plenty of people in DFW who walk around every day proudly proclaiming themselves rednecks. I've never been up to Oklahoma and heard anyone refer to themselves as a redskin.

Redskins is akin to the Raiders changing their name to the Oakland Niggers. A term that has nothing but derogatory meaning and whose time has long since come and gone.

On 6/22/2014 at 7:06 PM, meangreendork said:

It's one thing when you choose it, it's something else when someone outside of you, with a long history of what amounts to dicking your people over chooses the name, makes a mockery of your culture, and slaps it on a sports team, then makes money off it.

7 YEARS AGO:

On 9/4/2013 at 9:30 AM, untjim1995 said:

And who roots for a team called the REDSKINS in 2013? I mean, really, is their even one other team out their that is more insensitive with their mascot than Washington?

12 YEARS AGO: 

On 3/9/2008 at 12:23 PM, trud1966 said:

Arkansas State has used Indians as a nickname since 1931. In 2005, the NCAA announced a ban on ethnically or racially "hostile" or "abusive" nicknames, mascots and imagery at championship events. Arkansas State was one of the schools found in violation of the policy.

Someone explain to me how "Indians" is racially hostile or abusive? It's not INJUNS or REDSKINS.

13 YEARS AGO: 

On 11/12/2007 at 2:47 PM, rcade said:

The name Redskins is an ethnic slur. 

On 6/18/2007 at 5:32 PM, EagleD said:

"Washington Redskins" is a racial slur.

On 6/18/2007 at 2:27 PM, LongJim said:

I still can't believe we have an NFL team called the "Redskins", but there you have it. By any measure, you can't say that's not offensive.

I don't know what the solution is, but there is merit (IMO) to respecting the wishes of those who don't want their heritage used like this. 

On 6/18/2007 at 4:48 PM, UNTSIG said:

i can understand it. everybody says that it is the "pc police" with native americans because it has been going on so long, it has just become accepted. calling Notre Dame "the fighting irish" and having a 4 leaf clover is completely different than the Washington Redskins (seriously) or the Atlanta Braves pretending to "chop" someones head off

15 YEARS AGO: 

On 6/28/2005 at 12:16 PM, shaneb said:

Naming teams after modern day tribes... or using formerly derogatory terms like Redskins is one thing.

...so, just here on GMG.com, that's at least 14 different people, going back to the middle of the W. Bush administration, 2 years before the iPhone, and the era when Darrell Dickey was still on a 4 year run of championships and bowls. 

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

3 YEARS AGO: 

4 YEARS AGO: 

6 YEARS AGO: 

7 YEARS AGO:

12 YEARS AGO: 

13 YEARS AGO: 

15 YEARS AGO: 

...so, just here on GMG.com, that's at least 14 different people, going back to the middle of the W. Bush administration, 2 years before the iPhone, and the era when Darrell Dickey was still on a 4 year run of championships and bowls. 

what about on the other board? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

i'm a firm believer in majority rules.  i don't really care if some people find it offenseive.  why should we change things because some don't like it?  if most don't like it, change it...bowing down to a small percentage of folks is pathetic in my eyes and does nothing to help.  sucks your feelings were hurt or you were offended...if most want it gone, get rid of it.  if most don't want it gone, then don't get rid of it

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

5 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

This was a mock-up someone did when trying to make a point about Chief Wahoo being the face of the Cleveland Indians. Similar situation here one would think, but at least the Washington NFL team's logo isn't as gross. 

46233177-0a98-4aa4-a60c-344cb9669b4b.jpg

Let me introduce you to:

See the source image

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 5
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

On 6/19/2014 at 1:03 AM, oldguystudent said:

Redskins is akin to the Raiders changing their name to the Oakland N******. A term that has nothing but derogatory meaning and whose time has long since come and gone.

See how easy it was to modify the post!  Is your copy of the post not offensive? Maybe what might (very questionable) have been acceptable 6 years ago is not now. Remember the Assistant Counsel for the systems statement last fall?  

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

I wouldn’t say I am, or have been “outraged” at it, but I’m not a Native American.

Optics are squarely on this topic now though.  It’s a good time to reflect/think about it.  So again, try someone else’s shoes on in this instance.  How do you think you would feel about it?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The NFL team from Washington should locate a Native American Nation that will agree of use of their name, In fact, If I represented a Nation I would contact the team from Washington and work out a financial arrangement such as scholarships for students etc. 

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, THOR said:

i'm a firm believer in majority rules.  i don't really care if some people find it offenseive.  why should we change things because some don't like it?  if most don't like it, change it...bowing down to a small percentage of folks is pathetic in my eyes and does nothing to help.  sucks your feelings were hurt or you were offended...if most want it gone, get rid of it.  if most don't want it gone, then don't get rid of it

Wow. 

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3