NFL Redskins to change their name?

Looks like the push is getting stronger to force the Redskins to change their name?

What other teams (Pro) could be targeted down the line?

• Cowboys?
  • Chiefs?
  • Buccaneers?
  • Saints?
  • 49ers?
  • Vikings?
  • Raiders?

I say some of these is jest, but with the current climate who knows?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Looks like the push is getting stronger to force the Redskins to change their name?

What other teams (Pro) could be targeted down the line?

• Cowboys?
  • Chiefs?
  • Buccaneers?
  • Saints?
  • 49ers?
  • Vikings?
  • Raiders?

I say some of these is jest, but with the current climate who knows?

Right, the current climate against racism will bleed into hating the name Cowboys. 🙄

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because racism is just rampant and only effects one race.

do you think "Redskin" is a pejorative against black people? 

and yes, racism is rampant and institutionalized in our country and denying it; becoming defensive rather than listening and learning about it does nothing but continue to perpetuate that racism. 

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

7 hours ago, scratch1976 said:

Then they need to get rid of Florida St. mascot the Seminoles! 😷

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-states-unusual-bond-with-seminole-tribe-puts-mascot-debate-in-a-different-light/2014/12/29/5386841a-8eea-11e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html

FSU has long actually worked to develop their relationship with the Seminole tribe...their logo, pre-game Chief Osceola ritual were developed with input and approval from the tribe...since '06 they've offered an elective course on the Seminoles and other SE tribes...the university and graduates give back to the tribe and in turn the tribe is fervently supportive of the school and take pride in the name. 

I don't know the full extent of their relationship, but the Ute tribe in Utah also gave permission to the university to use their tribe name as logo/mascot...after the University of Utah changed their name from Redskins in 1972. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/florida-states-unusual-bond-with-seminole-tribe-puts-mascot-debate-in-a-different-light/2014/12/29/5386841a-8eea-11e4-ba53-a477d66580ed_story.html

FSU has long actually worked to develop their relationship with the Seminole tribe...their logo, pre-game Chief Osceola ritual were developed with input and approval from the tribe...since '06 they've offered an elective course on the Seminoles and other SE tribes...the university and graduates give back to the tribe and in turn the tribe is fervently supportive of the school and take pride in the name. 

I don't know the full extent of their relationship, but the Ute tribe in Utah also gave permission to the university to use their tribe name as logo/mascot...after the University of Utah changed their name from Redskins in 1972. 

Good information. Thanks

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Cowboys- Um cows are bad. They fart and produce gas that damages the ozone. It's also offensive to Vegans. Boys is so misogynous.

I think they should change their name to the Organic People. That way no one is offended.

Or androgynous individuals...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 4

Change Dallas' team the "Cowboys"?   

Where does that leave my childhood hero, the Lone Ranger?  Did he mistreat Tonto all those years?  Who knew?

Edit:  Missed my medication.  Meant Lone Ranger

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Apparently everything is offensive to insecure old white dudes. 

I think the “insecure old white dudes” are pointing out how you can always find something to be offended by if you choose to do so.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I think the “insecure old white dudes” are pointing out how you can always find something to be offended by if you choose to do so.  

so this has all been just ironic theater?! the whole time?!

I’m speechless. Bravo, all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

I don't think a certain someone many of you have praised as a record setting quarterback, would be too pleased to see the dismissive remarks in this thread. This is something many tribes have pushed for decades.

Even if he isn't bothered by it, many Native Americans are and are the only ones whose opinions matter on this subject. This isn't comparable to the Seminoles, Utes, Illini or Chippewas, who all have the consent and approval of the respective tribes they get the nicknames from. 

Redskins always has been and will be a slur and again, enough tribes find it problematic enough to want it changed. If it were ANY other race, it would have been changed a long time agi.

Of course, you guys feel brave enough to say these things behind an anonymous message board but never to anyone's face.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, NT91 said:

1.6 percent of the US population is Native American . Do they really need to change the name?

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF

Serious?   If so, imagine yourself in the shoes of one of those 1.6%.  “Redskins” isn’t even a virtuous term like “Braves”.  Its superficially degrading at best, and outright derogatory at worst.  It’s about time to go.

I love the potato idea.  Put a lil’ dollop of sour cream on it with some, cheese shreds, chives & pieces of bacon...  They may actually gain more fans with it.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3