Uprising at nUTSAck??

4 minutes ago, akriesman said:

All schools are going to be hurting.   However, we seem to have an AD in place that sees opportunity when available.    The old NT would already have announced severe cuts.    Even if cuts are coming at NT, the atmosphere is still positive right now.     That is a huge difference between NT now and in the past.

I think we are smart for sitting back and watching the cards fall before committing early to cuts.    You never know what might happen.    We have missed out on plenty of opportunities in the past because we simply were not ready to jump.

The problem is that NT is financed to a large degree by student fees.  I doubt NT is setting on a big money surplus.  At some point, if the shutdown continues, there will have to be cuts and they will be much worse than what is going on down at UTSA.

It won't be a case of being prudent or cautious, but a necessity.  NT and many others simply won't have the money to support sports that they can't play or play before extremely small crowds. 

Conferences that actually have tv contracts that pay big money might survive. CUSA is not one of those.  

If and when it is decided that college football will not be played next year,  I expect there will be a lot of coaches terminated not just have their salaries cut.  Frankly, at that point; it makes no sense at all to pay football coaches anything. New ones can always be hired once football returns full force.  The issue will be existing contracts and how they are structured.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

The taxes don't really work like that. They are budgeted - not just a large pool. I know what you are saying though.  I hope I can stop paying my portion of taxes that goes to help fund higher education if they aren't on campus too. 

It's really just bitching to bitch. MOST students don't go to the rec center, but they have to pay the fee. MOST students do not ever step foot at an athletic event. They already pay for stuff they don't use. It is setup as a greater good. The rec center wouldn't exist without my time in college when the fee took effect and was completed way after I was gone. I never got to use it. Never will. 

You are right, taxes are not like university. The student can stop going for a semester if they don't want to pay the fees. I can't do anything about my inability to use the splash pads with my sons - but I still pay for them. 

Good points. The disagreement I have is that if you are charged a fee for an available service/activity and choose not to use it is one thing. However, to be charged a fee for a service/activity that you do not have access to is different.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Good points. The disagreement I have is that if you are charged a fee for an available service/activity and choose not to use it is one thing. However, to be charged a fee for a service/activity that you do not have access to is different.

Finally we agree on something! 

We pay taxes for a community library and have the choice to check out books or not. If they close the library but keep justifying the tax rate based upon having a library...

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I don't know. Seems like a Schrodinger's cat situation. If it's available, but you don't use it and it's not available and you don't use it.. it's really the same outcome. Just because someone lifted the box and showed you it's not available it all of a sudden changes something? 

You're still not using it. 

But we can agree to disagree. I think it's really selfish to assume that costs go down because your aren't at the University in person. If anything it costs more - since they are incurring all these new costs to provide online lessons, grading, training, servers, capacity and all that good stuff. 

Education is a bit of a black box. You can't start picking and choosing what you think you should pay for.. just like our football won't be around without the athletic fee. Maybe all the students should get a break on that for that last year and this next one - them we can really starve this beast to death.

• Upvote 1