Uprising at nUTSAck??

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The longer this last the more of this type of thing we will see.  NT is far from immune.  

Glad we aren't in the middle of building any big athletic facilities. Those were just finished. That being said since universities charge outlandish prices now and semesters are online, they need to drop prices.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Glad we aren't in the middle of building any big athletic facilities. Those were just finished. That being said since universities charge outlandish prices now and semesters are online, they need to drop prices.

...or not started yet.   Have they started on the Athletic Center expansion?   I seem to recall that was next on the master plan. 
https://lightthetower.com

• Upvote 1

Chances are the money for that athletic center that is being built is already spent. Also, educational funding and athletics funding have to come from two very different pots of money.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Why would the price go down? Are they selling the buildings and closing the large campuses that need maintenance and mortgages to be paid?  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

I can't speak to the validity of their complaints, but I will say that the UTSA grads I know are some of the whiniest people I've ever met.  But then again, I guess when you donate to a school cannon, and you get a paper box in return, you probably have some reason to think the world is against you.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Why would the price go down? Are they selling the buildings and closing the large campuses that need maintenance and mortgages to be paid?  

They are student service fees. No available services, then the fees are unwarranted. Case in point would be the Rec Center. Why pay for use of a building you can’t access? International education fee: is there are no exchanges and travel prohibited then why pay that? Why pay the full athletic fee if you aren’t allowed to attend a game? 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

They are student service fees. No available services, then the fees are unwarranted. Case in point would be the Rec Center. Why pay for use of a building you can’t access? International education fee: is there are no exchanges and travel prohibited then why pay that? Why pay the full athletic fee if you aren’t allowed to attend a game? 

Salaries and upkeep of the school you fund. I am still paying my full taxes even though I can't use the water park, soccer fields or libraries.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

...or not started yet.   Have they started on the Athletic Center expansion?   I seem to recall that was next on the master plan. 
https://lightthetower.com

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Golf facility is under construction although it is not in plans. Thanks to gift from Bruzzy.

Yep, drove by the other day and ground is moving.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Salaries and upkeep of the school you fund. I am still paying my full taxes even though I can't use the water park, soccer fields or libraries.

I hear you, but it isn’t a direct equivalent. The fees I mentioned are for a direct purpose/service, whereas your taxes go in a pot of money that is later budgeted and allocated. Your aren’t using those services you mentioned and so the utilities on them are lower and that money gets reallocated. Students aren’t like taxpayers. They make a choice to attend the university and are levied fees for services to which they have access. There is some element of “the greater good” but in general it is a fee for service. Taxes pay for services but are largely intended for the greater good - hence single or childless people paying property taxes that fund the schools. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

The University of Texas at San Antonio notified 312 employees Wednesday that their positions were eliminated to help close a $36 million budget shortfall caused by the coronavirus pandemic’s damage to state finances.The losses included one-tenth of the university’s non-tenured faculty, ranging across all academic departments. UT San Antonio lays off more than 300 employees

• Upvote 1

All schools are going to be hurting.   However, we seem to have an AD in place that sees opportunity when available.    The old NT would already have announced severe cuts.    Even if cuts are coming at NT, the atmosphere is still positive right now.     That is a huge difference between NT now and in the past.

I think we are smart for sitting back and watching the cards fall before committing early to cuts.    You never know what might happen.    We have missed out on plenty of opportunities in the past because we simply were not ready to jump.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I hear you, but it isn’t a direct equivalent. The fees I mentioned are for a direct purpose/service, whereas your taxes go in a pot of money that is later budgeted and allocated. Your aren’t using those services you mentioned and so the utilities on them are lower and that money gets reallocated. Students aren’t like taxpayers. They make a choice to attend the university and are levied fees for services to which they have access. There is some element of “the greater good” but in general it is a fee for service. Taxes pay for services but are largely intended for the greater good - hence single or childless people paying property taxes that fund the schools. 

The taxes don't really work like that. They are budgeted - not just a large pool. I know what you are saying though.  I hope I can stop paying my portion of taxes that goes to help fund higher education if they aren't on campus too. 

It's really just bitching to bitch. MOST students don't go to the rec center, but they have to pay the fee. MOST students do not ever step foot at an athletic event. They already pay for stuff they don't use. It is setup as a greater good. The rec center wouldn't exist without my time in college when the fee took effect and was completed way after I was gone. I never got to use it. Never will. 

You are right, taxes are not like university. The student can stop going for a semester if they don't want to pay the fees. I can't do anything about my inability to use the splash pads with my sons - but I still pay for them. 

• Upvote 1