WKU athletics is “cutting to the bone”

C Rod

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

That’s why it’s imperative that we not only renew our season tickets but also encourage others to both buy season tickets and to give generously to the MGSF. I personally will be surprised if there is college football this year. However, through this adversity which may very well force many G5’s to cut many of their sports and their budgets lies the opportunity for those in a better financial position to move up to maybe a better conference? 

Renewed yesterday. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 8:10 AM, C Rod said:

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/wku-athletics-faces-over-1-million-in-budget-cuts/article_503954f6-392c-5fba-8663-6b98eddea459.html

Tough decisions are ahead. If WKU is already “cutting to the bone”, G5 schools will be lopping off entire body parts if there is no football this fall. Let’s be real, the potential for college football this fall is looking bleaker by the day. Heck, the reduction in ticket sales may already be a fatal blow to some programs.

Out of financial necessity, some Universities will be forced to cut additional sports teams, putting them under the required 16 teams for FBS eligibility. Cough::Tulsa::cough

I hope with us being a large public university in DFW, we can weather this storm and take Tulsa’s place in the AAC. 

Tulsa is not going anywhere soon. They are not going to drop football or drop down to 1aa. While the university as a whole is having too tighten its belt, the monies from AAC T.V. contract help sooth the pain. If UNT is going to move up its will be on its own merits, not the misfortune of others. If there is a football season chances are we will have another loosing one and be looking at what to do with an overpaid football coach 5 years on the job and an overall W/L record in the negative.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Tulsa is not going anywhere soon. They are not going to drop football or drop down to 1aa. While the university as a whole is having too tighten its belt, the monies from AAC T.V. contract help sooth the pain. If UNT is going to move up its will be on its own merits, not the misfortune of others. If there is a football season chances are we will have another loosing one and be looking at what to do with an overpaid football coach 5 years on the job and an overall W/L record in the negative.

shoes sneakers GIF by GaryVee

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

On that cheerful note.   Although I am not sure what a loosing season is. 

I do agree that Tulsa is not going anywhere and have no idea why anyone thinks even if they did that NT would benefit. 

I really don't know why so many seem to assume that the NT football just can't win against mighty CUSA competition. 

If it is a losing season I expect SL will be gone, but I really think the team will be significantly better than the gloom and doomers predict. 

On the bright side, SL will perform and we can go back to worrying when he is going to leave for greener pastures. 

The positive is if SL either leaves or is fired, the NT job should be one of the most attractive in all G5 land. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:If there is a football season chances are we will have another loosing one and be looking at what to do with an overpaid football coach 5 years on the job and an overall W/L record in the negative.

I don’t think that will happen. However, if it does you can always blame the hire on RV.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

On that cheerful note.   Although I am not sure what a loosing season is. 

I do agree that Tulsa is not going anywhere and have no idea why anyone thinks even if they did that NT would benefit. 

I really don't know why so many seem to assume that the NT football just can't win against mighty CUSA competition. 

If it is a losing season I expect SL will be gone, but I really think the team will be significantly better than the gloom and doomers predict. 

On the bright side, SL will perform and we can go back to worrying when he is going to leave for greener pastures. 

The positive is if SL either leaves or is fired, the NT job should be one of the most attractive in all G5 land. 

Well, a loosing season is when you have more L's than W's.At this point I think SL is 27&25.I doubt the season will be played because of the Virus, but we probably would lose to A&M,SMU, and Houston before entering conference play.So. Miss,La. Tech, and UAB are ranked higher than us, so we may find it difficult to beat those teams. Assuming we beat Houston Baptist,Charlotte, MTSU,Rice,UTEP, UTSA, we should come in about 6&6. My only bone to pick with SL is that he is being paid a lot of money for basically 500 ball. Expect more or you will get less.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well, a loosing season is when you have more L's than W's.At this point I think SL is 27&25.I doubt the season will be played because of the Virus, but we probably would lose to A&M,SMU, and Houston before entering conference play.So. Miss,La. Tech, and UAB are ranked higher than us, so we may find it difficult to beat those teams. Assuming we beat Houston Baptist,Charlotte, MTSU,Rice,UTEP, UTSA, we should come in about 6&6. My only bone to pick with SL is that he is being paid a lot of money for basically 500 ball. Expect more or you will get less.

No a loosing season is when you play with less restraint, I guess. 

We both apparently agree that Littrell has to earn his money next year.   What I expect is that NT battle for a conference championship and at least is competitive in the out of conference against UH and SMU.  

There is a post somewhere that thinks that SL should get an extension if NT goes 6-6.  I think we agree that record is not good enough even to keep his job much less be rewarded.  

By the way, SL didn't give himself a raise, that was the AD and probably the BOD.  So there is no bone to pick with him.

However, I am at the point that just seeing NT sports good or bad would be a great threat. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, wardly said:

1439685201_ScreenShot2020-07-13at9_02_42AM.png.4c238124a59744cb5d118202b0b498f2.png

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No a loosing season is when you play with less restraint, I guess. 

We both apparently agree that Littrell has to earn his money next year.   What I expect is that NT battle for a conference championship and at least is competitive in the out of conference against UH and SMU.  

There is a post somewhere that thinks that SL should get an extension if NT goes 6-6.  I think we agree that record is not good enough even to keep his job much less be rewarded.  

By the way, SL didn't give himself a raise, that was the AD and probably the BOD.  So there is no bone to pick with him.

However, I am at the point that just seeing NT sports good or bad would be a great threat. 

Last year we were picked to win CUSA West and ended with a 4&8 season with one of the best QB's in our history. Just asking, but what makes you think we will have a better team this year and compete for a conference championship?

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Last year we were picked to win CUSA West and ended with a 4&8 season with one of the best QB's in our history. Just asking, but what makes you think we will have a better team this year and compete for a conference championship?

Last year for whatever reason, the team was not very good.  Fine was injured most of the time and the defense was just bad.

Obviously, a team can go from 9 wins to 4, but you don't seem to believe that a team can go from 4 wins to nine.  No I am not predicting 9 NT wins, but I think 7 is possible. 

Reasons NT could be substantially better next season (whenever that happens):

Littrell has demonstrated he is a good coach, last year notwithstanding

NT hopefully significantly improved the coordinator positions

Recruiting classes for last two  years appear strong

CUSA is far from a strong league

Defense should be much better

Linebackers and defensive line should be among the best in the league

DB has a lot of young unproven talent to work with

There is a strong chance that QB play will be better than the injured Fine 

Both Aune and Bean appear much more capable of being duel threats

NT is very deep at running backs and wide receivers

Offensive line loses 3 starters, but should be at least as good as last year.

Obviously, you can list rationale for another poor season, but there definitely another possibility. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Last year for whatever reason, the team was not very good.  Fine was injured most of the time and the defense was just bad.

Obviously, a team can go from 9 wins to 4, but you don't seem to believe that a team can go from 4 wins to nine.  No I am not predicting 9 NT wins, but I think 7 is possible. 

Obviously, you can list rationale for another poor season, but there definitely another possibility. 

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your input, and look forward to upcoming season in either 2020 or 2021.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Please, some of you posters should get a Webster's Dictionary and look up the spelling and meaning of-

lose, losing

loose, loosing(is this a real word?)

loosening

It's downright embarrassing.

Signed,

The Grammar Checker

Sorry, but I did go to a state university. However grades 1 thru 4 I attended school in Arkansas, which I blame for both my poor spelling and writing. In my freshman year of 1961 you were required to pass something called a "Student Use of English Test". While my essays in English 101 always got "A's" for content, I seemed to always misspell a word and get "F" for grammar with an overall "D". My English teacher took pity on me, sent me home over Christmas to memorize 25 words which would be give to me on a spelling test upon my return. Bless her. Now, I know this is information that no one cares about, but I am going nuts staying home during the virus and just needed an outlet. Best to all of you and yours. Ward White

Edited by wardly
spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, wardly said:

Sorry, but I did go to a state university. However grades 1 thru 4 I attended school in Arkansas, which I blame for both my poor spelling and writing. In my freshman year of 1961 you were required to pass something called a "Student Use of English Test". While my essays in English 101 always got "A's" for content, I seemed to always misspell a word and get "F" for grammar with an overall "D". My English teacher took pity on me, sent me home over Christmas to memorize 25 words which would be give to me on a spelling test upon my return. Bless her. Now, I know this is information that no one cares about, but I am going nuts staying home during the virus and just needed an outlet. Best to all of you and yours. Ward White

We are in the same emotional state, this virus has got us down.   Debating about loose and lose is just a diversion from mostly boredom. 

Talking sports is a poor substitute for participating or watching, but at least it is communication with other Mean Green fans.

Don't take anything stated on this board too seriously.  I know you are a long standing NT fan, and that is what counts. 

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, wardly said:

Ha! The old “Student Use of English Test”.  I seem to recall if a student did not maintain a “C” average in English, student would have to take the SUOET and pass it before he/she graduated.  A friend of mine had to take 6 or 7 times before he could graduate from NT.  Yes, I had an intelligent circle of friends at NTSU.🤪

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

We are in the same emotional state, this virus has got us down.   Debating about loose and lose is just a diversion from mostly boredom. 

Talking sports is a poor substitute for participating or watching, but at least it is communication with other Mean Green fans.

Don't take anything stated on this board too seriously.  I know you are a long standing NT fan, and that is what counts. 

Amen!

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The culture around with the former assistant coaches was getting bad from what I heard. Everything else you said was spot on. 

The defense is gonna struggle early on, but they'll find the groove