2021 Silas Barr OL Pottsboro

Marty

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Gabe Brooks and an OSU insider gave him crystal balls to flip to OK State last night. Although seems like he basically announced it

Well F**K. Was really excited about him. With Covid and the lack of visits coupled with kids hopping on offers early I expect to see more of this.

57 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

As Mark Miller said on Twitter, “Exactly why I no longer get excited or even very interested in “commits”. I’ll read about them when they sign...if they sign. Commitments mean absolutely ZERO these days.”

Wise words nowadays

This thought sounds a lot like people announcing that they won’t be watching sports anymore. No one is requiring anybody to get excited about commitments. If he really doesn’t care, why even post this stuff? But considering the majority of commitments do sign with us, hard to argue that they mean zero.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This thought sounds a lot like people announcing that they won’t be watching sports anymore. No one is requiring anybody to get excited about commitments. If he really doesn’t care, why even post this stuff? But considering the majority of commitments do sign with us, hard to argue that they mean zero.

True I think he over exaggerated the zero part, but he has a point. I mean is he really that caliber to play at OSU?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If he can't play at OSU, he can't play here either.

There are definitely levels to it. We have strictly landed backups from P5s as long as I have been following UNT, but backups come in so many different forms. Was the player buried hopelessly deep on the depth chart, or was he legitimately in the 2-deep? Did the player transfer as an underclassman who may have become a starter or challenged for a starting spot later in his career, or was he an upperclassman who tried for years but never received regular playing time?

Jacob Farrell only got into two games at Oklahoma State, and wasn’t a factor to start. How much of that had to do with him being a redshirt freshmen, or was he a guy who would have never been a factor to play at Ok State? But his departure was reportedly circumstantial so hopefully we got a guy who would have become a contributor for OSU, and can become at least that here as well.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

There are definitely levels to it. We have strictly landed backups from P5s as long as I have been following UNT, but backups come in so many different forms. Was the player buried hopelessly deep on the depth chart, or was he legitimately in the 2-deep? Did the player transfer as an underclassman who may have become a starter or challenged for a starting spot later in his career, or was he an upperclassman who tried for years but never received regular playing time?

Jacob Farrell only got into two games at Oklahoma State, and wasn’t a factor to start. How much of that had to do with him being a redshirt freshmen, or was he a guy who would have never been a factor to play at Ok State? But his departure was reportedly circumstantial so hopefully we got a guy who would have become a contributor for OSU, and can become at least that here as well.

I think part of that is our reputation of losing we can't seem to kick.

But when talking about High School recruits, there are still people who subscribe to "Ride pine at <XYZ P5 School>, or be a superstar at UNT...".  And as we've seen with many of those P5 transfers over the last decade, that has also proven to be untrue outside of Marcus Trice (who was contributing at OU before transferring).  This pervasive thought just drives me crazy.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think part of that is our reputation of losing we can't seem to kick.

But when talking about High School recruits, there are still people who subscribe to "Ride pine at <XYZ P5 School>, or be a superstar at UNT...".  And as we've seen with many of those P5 transfers over the last decade, that has also proven to be untrue outside of Marcus Trice (who was contributing at OU before transferring).  This pervasive thought just drives me crazy.

Completely agree. I remember this level of saltiness when it came to guys like the younger Orr brothers. They turned out just fine at TCU and Wisconsin, as much as I would’ve loved to have had them here.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Completely agree. I remember this level of saltiness when it came to guys like the younger Orr brothers. They turned out just fine at TCU and Wisconsin, as much as I would’ve loved to have had them here.

And neither of them was as good as Zach, who did play here.