2021 Silas Barr OL Pottsboro

Marty

SCOUTING REPORT  

Silas Barr is an outstanding 2021 DE/Pass Rusher prospect out of Pottsboro High School in Pottsboro, TX. At 6'5" 225lbs, Silas has the prototypical size that college coaches covet. He is an athletic DE with excellent speed off the edge, and violent quick hands. Silas runs, chases, and pursues plays very well and plays with an unbelievable motor. This is a high character kid that a coach will be able to count on and trust. Very excited about this young man's future!!

Link to more on scouting report:  https://evo.nsr-inc.com/prospect_detail?prospect_id=207162

• Upvote 2

I like this. We aren’t going to get the premium OT recruits at this point, so sign a kid that is raw with all the desirable qualities and put him in S&C program. A redshirt plus likely another year and expect him to be in the two-deep soon after. If you can’t sign the perfect tackle, build one!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I like this. We aren’t going to get the premium OT recruits at this point, so sign a kid that is raw with all the desirable qualities and put him in S&C program. A redshirt plus likely another year and expect him to be in the two-deep soon after. If you can’t sign the perfect tackle, build one!

I think it will be sooner than that based on his recent trajectory... something like 30 pounds over the last year. another 30 pounds and he will have the size for it... the technique will probably come more natural to him than the size based on how well he seems to move laterally. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

247 has him with 9 offers. ULM, UNLV, Southern Miss, Arkansas St., New Mexico and others.

Did I get the wrong link or something but 247 Sports from this link shows him as NT. I am just asking so I can find the right info. Thanks 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/Recruits/?Player.FullName=Silas Barr

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Danish43 said:

Did I get the wrong link or something but 247 Sports from this link shows him as NT. I am just asking so I can find the right info. Thanks 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/Recruits/?Player.FullName=Silas Barr

No, if you click on his name it will take you to his page and his offer list.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Cooley said:

He’s got the size, body and speed (4.8) for the defensive end position. Stop being cute and leave him on the defensive side of the ball. 

Guess every other FBS school who offered him is being too cute too. They all offered him to play offensive line as well. No official verification on that 40 time and looks pretty clear he doesn’t have legit FBS defensive end pursuit speed in his film. This dude’s an o-line prospect all the way.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Guess every other FBS school who offered him is being too cute too. They all offered him to play offensive line as well. No official verification on that 40 time and looks pretty clear he doesn’t have legit FBS defensive end pursuit speed in his film. This dude’s an o-line prospect all the way.

Stop being cute Billy

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Majority  FBS didn’t offer him at all. What video did this program see with the guys on the team now? Pretty clear they are not FBS defensive ends. It’s unfortunate that no one else can have an opinion on this board; over the last few years. You say he doesn’t have pursuit speed but acknowledge that his speed hasn’t been confirmed. Yes, too many School try to get cute in positioning and projecting positions. Let’s see what he can do at his current position before trying to move him. No, it is not clear he is not  DE. OL maybe a need. This team wanted Trey Stiggers as a defensive back. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Majority  FBS didn’t offer him at all. What video did this program see with the guys on the team now? Pretty clear they are not FBS defensive ends. It’s unfortunate that no one else can have an opinion on this board; over the last few years. You say he doesn’t have pursuit speed but acknowledge that his speed hasn’t been confirmed. Yes, too many School try to get cute in positioning and projecting positions. Let’s see what he can do at his current position before trying to move him. No, it is not clear he is not  DE. OL maybe a need. This team wanted Trey Stiggers as a defensive back. 

No one said anyone can’t have an opinion. You absolutely can have one and people can disagree with it. Nearly every FBS signee in the country is not offered by a majority of FBS programs. Certainly true for everyone we sign. Doesn’t change the fact that the consensus among FBS coaches who scouted him is that he is FBS caliber as an o-line prospect but not a d-line prospect. You can disagree with that evaluation, but I don’t see how projecting a 6’5” 250 lb junior as an o-lineman is being cute when you watch the film.

Regarding his speed, the 40 time isn’t verified but the pursuit speed, or lack thereof, is evident in his film. He had just 5.5 sacks in 16 games. There are plenty of plays in his film where an FBS DE prospect gets to the QB on time but Barr doesn’t. That’s the lack of pursuit speed I’m mentioning.

And as for Siggers, we recruited him to play RB and have had him there for 2 of his 3 seasons. Reffett wanted him at safety where he was at for just one year. Wasn’t a situation where the coaching staff thought he was a better safety than RB, although you’re right that it was a poor decision.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1