North Texas Football Prediction: Game-By-Game Predictions for the Mean Green in 2020

meangreen11

North Texas was 57th in my preseason college football rankings last year. Even without several key players, the Mean Green were well equipped to flirt with a third straight nine-win season and send Seth Littrell's already high Power Five stock to the moon. One year later, North Texas is 107th in my preseason rankings

After reportedly rejecting Kansas State's advances, Littrell returned to Denton and replicated his predecessor Dan McCarney in plunging from nine to four wins in just one season. Now, after a disastrous season, the 41-year-old fifth-year head coach is entering his second challenging rebuild with the program. And he's doing so without an offensive coordinator—Bodie Reeder was fired and not replaced, leaving Littrell to call plays in 2020, not co-coordinator Tommy Mainford—and a new defensive coordinator in former Kansas colleague Clint Bowen, who was North Texas defensive coordinator in 2011.

read more:  https://herosports.com/college-football/north-texas-2020-schedule-predictions-ahah

• Upvote 1

MTSU has one qb, if he gets hurt they are in the world of hurt.  They have a walk-ons and Div 2 transfer to back him up.   I think we can win that game.    But the struggles against Rice,UTEP and UTSA with most likely our best qb in history is concerning for this team this year.  I not sure we will have a season still.

• Upvote 2

I think that North Texas is going to be better than most think this year.  My prediction is 7-5 for the regular season and withhold a bowl prediction until I see the matchup.

Home wins:  Houston Baptist, Charlotte, Louisiana Tech, Rice

Away wins:  Middle Tennessee, UTEP, UTSA

The bad news is that we'll start the season 1-4 with losses to Texas A&M, SMU, Houston and Southern Miss.

The good news that it's possible that we could win out if we can get past UAB.  I believe that we will be much stronger at the end of the year than at the beginning.  We have more talent but less experience.  The coaching, especially on the offensive line, will be improved.  The play-calling will be improved.  The running game will be improved even if Siggers hasn't fully recovered.  Remember the name Oscar Adaway. 

We need to hope and pray that everyone can remain healthy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:31 PM, GrayEagle said:

I think that North Texas is going to be better than most think this year.  My prediction is 7-5 for the regular season and withhold a bowl prediction until I see the matchup.

Home wins:  Houston Baptist, Charlotte, Louisiana Tech, Rice

Away wins:  Middle Tennessee, UTEP, UTSA

The bad news is that we'll start the season 1-4 with losses to Texas A&M, SMU, Houston and Southern Miss.

The good news that it's possible that we could win out if we can get past UAB.  I believe that we will be much stronger at the end of the year than at the beginning.  We have more talent but less experience.  The coaching, especially on the offensive line, will be improved.  The play-calling will be improved.  The running game will be improved even if Siggers hasn't fully recovered.  Remember the name Oscar Adaway. 

We need to hope and pray that everyone can remain healthy. 

I like NT chances in CUSA as well as any team.  I would not be surprised either that NT beats SMU in Denton.   That team was awful against FAU, so they are going to be far from invincible. 

The defense should be better and if NT has an above average QB, I can see 7 or 8 wins in the regular season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I like NT chances in CUSA as well as any team.  I would not be surprised either that NT beats SMU in Denton.   That team was awful against FAU, so they are going to be far from invincible. 

The defense should be better and if NT has an above average QB, I can see 7 or 8 wins in the regular season.  

They were really bad against FAU in their bowl, but I also believe FAU played like they were on fire and SMU acted like they didn't even care. I kinda get that last part, playing against a team that sounds like an airport at their stadium in front of a few hundred fans, although that does like a typical SMU home game, too...

When SMU has a good passing game, they have usually left us in the dust. When their QB play has been less than stellar, we have kicked their ass. They have a great QB right now in Buechele and we still don't have the defensive personnel to compete with that passing attack. Add in the fact that our team usually looks like they have forgotten everything they know about playing football and look super tight when we play SMU, it doesn't add up to a positive vibe to me. 

The bigger physical teams we will play this season--if there is one--like UH, USM, LT, and UAB, they will continue to have a field day with our lines. My guess is that we beat the teams we are definitely more talented than, which are the two UT-stepchildren and Houston Baptist (ugh), and  then we get one or two against MUTS, Rice, and Charlotte. 5 wins is my expectation, so if we finish below that, it should make SL's seat extremely hot for 2021. If we win 6 or more, he will probably get another extension here. If we win 9 or more, he will probably be gone at the first offer he gets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

We will get dragged against smu, unless our defense (mainly secondary) shows up to the game

• Eye Roll 1