Denton Confederate soldiers monument being removed

3 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

----THIS ONE WAS  VERY EXPECTED........ especially if you know the history of it .... At the base is/was a water fountain (no longer worked) and that is where blacks had to use to drink water.... They were not permitted to use any fountains  in the Court-House.... Now think more about that ... They had to bow to get a drink and it looked like they were bowing to the CSA soldier at the top of the arch... I never saw it used that way but a history teacher in my UNT class (1965)  told us that and it made sense.  I am surprised it was still there... I suppose younger people never thought about how it was used. 

Willie Hudspeth always claimed that if you were black you were not allowed to drink from the fountain. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/local/denton-committee-says-confederate-statue-should-stay-put/262898/

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

Willie Hudspeth always claimed that if you were black you were not allowed to drink from the fountain. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/local/denton-committee-says-confederate-statue-should-stay-put/262898/

Oh, well that certainly makes it better? Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Just now, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

How old is Hudspeth .?... It was not even working in the mid 1960's. NO ONE then could drink out of it .that was .  55+ years ago. 

Willie is in his seventies. If you know anything about attempts to remove the monument in the last 20 plus years Willie has been the one man who appeared almost every week at the DentonCounty Commissioners Court meetings and spoke. Go to the website and watch videos of past meetings. There are people who want to erect a statue to Willie on the square. None of this makes his statement correct. Willie did serve on the committee mentioned in the link above that I believe included historians. I believe as part of their work they studied the history of the monument. I posted the info above because in my opinion the true history should be documented.

By the way, Willie’s son Gerard is on the City Council and is running for Mayor Of Denton. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

If you haven't seen the documentary "13th" it'll help explain a lot to those of who are arguing to keep the statues.

Nixon implemented the Southern Strategy in the mid to late 60's as a response to increasing civil rights among black people. He used "law and order" (Sound familiar) to appeal to white democrats in the south to come over to the GOP. 

Reminder that slavery is still legal for those imprisoned. Reagan implemented the war on drugs, imprisoning hundreds of thousands, then Clinton, in a response to Reagan/HW Bush, pushed more to the center (Law and order again) and passed the 3 strike rule, the 1994 crime bill, and really implemented the rapid militarization of the police. 

I'm a White, born and raised Texan, my roots are from Mississippi. My great great grandfather fought and lost a leg for the South. We still visit his homestead property in northern Mississippi every so often where distant relatives still live. I've got the excuse for southern pride as much as the next white guy with conservative parents from the south. Hell I attended ROBERT E LEE High school, where part of our fight song was literally DIXIE.

That being said. All of these statues represent the systematic oppression of black people in this country for hundreds of years. There is no excuse to keep these things up, just like there's no excuse for all of the racist ass policies enacted in the last 150 years( By both parties) to essentially keep black people legally enslaved through policing.

Statues belong in Museums. Every president we've had since 1789 is a war criminal. Abolish the government. Taxation is theft. Black Lives Matter

angry leonardo dicaprio GIF

Edit: BLM the movement. Not the organization. They're a bunch of communists.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

If you haven't seen the documentary "13th" it'll help explain a lot to those of who are arguing to keep the statues.

Nixon implemented the Southern Strategy in the mid to late 60's as a response to increasing civil rights among black people. He used "law and order" (Sound familiar) to appeal to white democrats in the south to come over to the GOP. 

Reminder that slavery is still legal for those imprisoned. Reagan implemented the war on drugs, imprisoning hundreds of thousands, then Clinton, in a response to Reagan/HW Bush, pushed more to the center (Law and order again) and passed the 3 strike rule, the 1994 crime bill, and really implemented the rapid militarization of the police. 

I'm a White, born and raised Texan, my roots are from Mississippi. My great great grandfather fought and lost a leg for the South. We still visit his homestead property in northern Mississippi every so often where distant relatives still live. I've got the excuse for southern pride as much as the next white guy with conservative parents from the south. Hell I attended ROBERT E LEE High school, where part of our fight song was literally DIXIE.

That being said. All of these statues represent the systematic oppression of black people in this country for hundreds of years. There is no excuse to keep these things up, just like there's no excuse for all of the racist ass policies enacted in the last 150 years( By both parties) to essentially keep black people legally enslaved through policing.

Statues belong in Museums. Every president we've had since 1789 is a war criminal. Abolish the government. Taxation is theft. Black Lives Matter

angry leonardo dicaprio GIF

Edit: BLM the movement. Not the organization. They're a bunch of communists.

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

14 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

Willie is in his seventies. If you know anything about attempts to remove the monument in the last 20 plus years Willie has been the one man who appeared almost every week at the DentonCounty Commissioners Court meetings and spoke. Go to the website and watch videos of past meetings. There are people who want to erect a statue to Willie on the square. None of this makes his statement correct. Willie did serve on the committee mentioned in the link above that I believe included historians. I believe as part of their work they studied the history of the monument. I posted the info above because in my opinion the true history should be documented.

By the way, Willie’s son Gerard is on the City Council and is running for Mayor Of Denton. 

--I am in my 70's ( age 76)  .... It did not work n the 60's or at least in 1964 and did not look like it had worked in a while... Maybe what he said is true .... but I have my doubts..... the version I heard from  my history  prof at UNT in 1965 seems to make more sense and is even worse.. I grew up in Central Texas which was not near as racist as that part of the state  [my HS integrated about 1955 ] and I know our court house  had a rest room for blacks that was accessed from the outside only and was below ground level.  In the 1950's traveling into east Texas I saw things there that was not happening in my town.. [ racist signs, no blacks etc ] . Praise to UNT ... they integrated early...even when I graduated in 1966... No SWC school had  any black athletes playing then .. SMU (Hayden Fry) signed the first one (Levias) but I saw the first one actually play in person at Baylor (a transfer)  in Fall 1966 against  Syracuse (Westbrook) and one week prior to  Levias at SMU... 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Wow! I had no idea that is Willie Hudspeth! My son and Willie have the same barber. He’s a nice man and a helluva guy to talk to. Had many conversations regarding sports while my son was getting a haircut...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1