UNT will play SFA in 2024

This is one of two FCS teams that are worth playing—along with SHSU. Both will bring people to the game and both are teams that our fans know of. Other than these two, I just don’t see how any FCS opponent is worth our time. We pay to get them here, they usually bring nobody, our fans don’t care about them usually, and you either beat them and learn nothing about your team or they beat you and you lose everything.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

I would say SFA and SHSU are two programs would put up a good game and we would need to be ready to beat them. You don’t make it deep into the playoffs as a cream puff. Abilene Christian seems to be scheduling up like sfa and they brought fans. They were just overmatched but I like their drive to play a tough non conference. 
GMG

• Upvote 4

I don't care for games with lower division teams.  They are played for easy wins, but add nothing if they are wins and are disasters if they turn out to be loses. 

They are also played to balance the schedule  with more home games.  I much rather see home and away series with other G5's when possible. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ttunt1970 said:

GG I don’t know your time as UNT fan but SFA brought over5,000 to games you in Fouts and was in the top five attended games there. They have the second most alumni in DFW after Harris County. Needless to say they paid for their guarantee!

Predicting crowds in 5 years is a bit risky.  I certainly don't chose to go to games based on crowd size.  Also it according to Wikipedia was not one of the top 5 crowds at Fouts. 

Also the last time the team played they were in the same conference.  The game in  1994 ended in a tie.  Although I went to the game, I have no memory at all of the attendance.   Obviously though it was a much more meaningful game at that time than the next contest. 

If NT schedules a fcs team,  I guess SFA is as good as any.  However, they only won 3 games last year which were later vacated due to rules infractions. 

• Upvote 1

I always have to laugh when people turn their noses up at schools like SFA coming to play us...Really?  Lets win a couple of bowl games back to back (and possibly, to back) before we starting turning into "we're better than that..."

I've gone to see SFA play at SMU a few times over the past 10 years.  It's a small school, but they bring a respectable crowd and their band.   They DAMN sure brought more fans to an SMU game than SMU ever brought to Apogee...

So I say unless we're on the uptick of a power streak, at the very least, lets make it an enjoyable experience of a Saturday, help fill the seats, even if its the other teams fans....And I absolutely LOVE any time another school brings their band.  Seriously, I dont know what it is, but that always makes me smile.  You'll always hear someone say (including myself...) "oh cool, they brought their band!"

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

I always have to laugh when people turn their noses up at schools like SFA coming to play us...Really?  Lets win a couple of bowl games back to back (and possibly, to back) before we starting turning into "we're better than that..."

I've gone to see SFA play at SMU a few times over the past 10 years.  It's a small school, but they bring a respectable crowd and their band.   They DAMN sure brought more fans to an SMU game than SMU ever brought to Apogee...

So I say unless we're on the uptick of a power streak, at the very least, lets make it an enjoyable experience of a Saturday, help fill the seats, even if its the other teams fans....And I absolutely LOVE any time another school brings their band.  Seriously, I dont know what it is, but that always makes me smile.  You'll always hear someone say (including myself...) "oh cool, they brought their band!"

The winning status of NT has nothing to do with whether I want to see SFA in Apogee.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

better them than a FCS school from out of state.

This.

If you are going to schedule a FCS game, play someone who will help you with attendance. SFA and SHSU are the only two that will do that, since they will bring people and our own fans will know alumni and students at those schools.

Bethune-Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Nicholls State, Portland State, etc...they are lose/lose propositions every time.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1