The 2020 UTSA Preview: It's Jeff Traylor's House Now

Harry

UTSA marks Traylor’s first head coaching job in the college ranks. He’s famously held the position of designated ‘crootin’ guy at Texas, SMU, and Arkansas. Before that, he built a juggernaut program at Gilmer, a top 5 Beast Texas job. Traylor won 87% of his games with the Buckeyes; they named the stadium after him. Traylor knows every backroad through east Texas, where athletes are as prevalent as the humidity. That made him attractive to the likes of Charlie Strong and the ultimate used car salesman, Chad Morris.

Traylor brought former Arkansas interim head coach Barry Lunney to run the offense. Lunney orchestrated the attack at San Jose State in 2003-04; more recently, he’s coached tight ends and special teams. Lunney’s first task will be to figure out an offensive identity for the Roadrunners, something the program lacked in Wilson’s final three seasons.

Read more: https://swcroundup.com/news/2020/6/20/the-2020-utsa-preview-its-jeff-traylors-house-now

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Will be interesting. They hired their last coach because he was a recruiting expert, and with the failures still went the same way. 

I think the biggest difference is every team Traylor has coached for has run some sort of a spread offense. I think he'll have a better handle on what their offense will look like.

Frank Wilson was an SEC ground and pound guy. He tried to fit a square peg(SEC smashmouth offense) into a round hole(CUSA - most teams run the spread)

I think Traylor fits the CUSA mold a lot better.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I think the biggest difference is every team Traylor has coached for has run some sort of a spread offense. I think he'll have a better handle on what their offense will look like.

Frank Wilson was an SEC ground and pound guy. He tried to fit a square peg(SEC smashmouth offense) into a round hole(CUSA - most teams run the spread)

I think Traylor fits the CUSA mold a lot better.

This man might disagree, but he gives his regards

From the Hot Seat: Todd Dodge finds it's not easy being Mean Green

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1