UC-Santa Cruz Professor Emeritus Concerned Over Lack of Intellectual Diversity

4 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

So an article from 10 years ago by a professor in an unrelated department arguing for making political affiliation required information during the hiring process in another? How'd that come up?

their racism and hydroxychloroquine horses stumbled out of the gates so institutional-liberal-bias-conspiracy is the last of their trifecta box? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, LongJim said:

I don't know.  I think there's some lively discussion here occasionally.  True believers abound though.  And that's ok as long as discussion happens.  Right?  Right???

Is good discussion built around a block of butt hurt downvotes and victimhood, though? This is in no way directed at you - we can PM all day - but you're also a walking advertisement for the education gap that used to exist between Denton and Austin for several decades.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

18 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Is good discussion built around a block of butt hurt downvotes and victimhood, though? This is in no way directed at you - we can PM all day - but you're also a walking advertisement for the education gap that used to exist between Denton and Austin for several decades.

😂  Rock on, because we all have our opinions.  I would hope people wouldn't take anything in this forum personally.  I don't expect anyone to agree with anything I post, for sure!

"Good"discussion is in the eye of the reader, as well.  I do get something from a lot of the information presented though.  Nobody has to--or should--believe or agree with all of, or any of it. 👍

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoEagle said:

So an article from 10 years ago by a professor in an unrelated department arguing for making political affiliation required information during the hiring process in another? How'd that come up?

Actually, he was the President of the CA Association of Scholars at the time of the article, and as noted above, what does the age of the article have to do with it?  If this issue continued unchecked, then it would be a greater problem today.  I would say evidence bears that out.

Here is an article from March

https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2020/03/a-scholars-lament/

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

their racism and hydroxychloroquine horses stumbled out of the gates so institutional-liberal-bias-conspiracy is the last of their trifecta box? 

Their?  I just posted an article that I found interesting.  Thanks for your insightful response.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Actually, he was the President of the CA Association of Scholars at the time of the article, and as noted above, what does the age of the article have to do with it?  If this issue continued unchecked, then it would be a greater problem today.  I would say evidence bears that out.

Their?  I just posted an article that I found interesting.  Thanks for your insightful response.

Ah yes - another spirited round of my echo chamber RTed something so now I am an expert on it, followed by "Hang on - let me scramble for some quick links through 5 minutes on Google," followed by being a complete bitch when I get called out on both - or as Elton John might have called it, "The Circle of Lifer."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You all are worried about ten years yet we are talking about the Civil War.  Funny how the years don't matter when it is something you believe in.

I wasn't worried about it...I pointed out that it was ten years ago and he has kept his same position since in response to the idea that this professor would be "cancelled" for his view point. 

but now I'm so intrigued...do you not believe in the Civil War? or just it's outcome? or do you think the Civil War cured racism in our country?

or was that just a really shitty attempt at analogy? 

sooooo intrigued!!

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

just so everyone is clear, here are the non-liberal echo chamber ideas Lifer is wanting out there for serious academic debate. for the TL;DR crowd...A. covert white supremacy ; B. overt white supremacy:

A. "All cultures are not equal. Or at least they are not equal in preparing people to be productive in an advanced economy. The culture of the Plains Indians was designed for nomadic hunters, but is not suited to a First World, 21st-century environment. Nor are the single-parent, antisocial habits, prevalent among some working-class whites; the anti-"acting white" rap culture of inner-city blacks; the anti-assimilation ideas gaining ground among some Hispanic immigrants. These cultural orientations are not only incompatible with what an advanced free-market economy and a viable democracy require, they are also destructive of a sense of solidarity and reciprocity among Americans. If the bourgeois cultural script — which the upper-middle class still largely observes but now hesitates to preach — cannot be widely reinstated, things are likely to get worse for us all. Would the re-embrace of bourgeois norms by the ordinary Americans who have abandoned them significantly reduce society's pathologies? There is every reason to believe so. Among those who currently follow the old precepts, regardless of their level of education or affluence, the homicide rate is tiny, opioid addiction is rare, and poverty rates are low. Those who live by the simple rules that most people used to accept may not end up rich or hold elite jobs, but their lives will go far better than they do now. All schools and neighborhoods would be much safer and more pleasant. More students from all walks of life would be educated for constructive employment and democratic participation."

B. "There are three ways to reclaim colonialism. One is for governments and peoples in developing countries to replicate as far as possible the colonial governance of their pasts—as successful countries like Singapore, Belize, and Botswana did. The “good governance” agenda, which contains too many assumptions about the self-governing capacity of poor countries, should be replaced with the “colonial governance” agenda. A second way is to recolonize some regions. Western countries should be encouraged to hold power in specific governance areas (public finances, say, or criminal justice) in order to jump-start enduring reforms in weak states. Rather than speak in euphemisms about “shared sovereignty” or “neo-trusteeship,” such actions should be called “colonialism” because it would embrace rather than evade the historical record. Thirdly, in some instances it may be possible to build new Western colonies from scratch."

ok...Lifer...your supporting intellectual arguments, please

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

21 hours ago, Quoner said:

Ah yes - another spirited round of my echo chamber RTed something so now I am an expert on it, followed by "Hang on - let me scramble for some quick links through 5 minutes on Google," followed by being a complete bitch when I get called out on both - or as Elton John might have called it, "The Circle of Lifer."

Ah yes - another witty remark from Quoner complete with calling someone names, claiming they live in an echo chamber because you don't agree with the remarks made or the article linked followed by a cute title given to said poster you disagree with.  I am so thankful that we have the GoMeanGreen.com board to talk mainly about UNT athletics, something you and your fellow cohorts rarely contribute to, where some posters are allowed to do the above while others have been banned or run off.  

I am thankful my acts are as predictable to you as your acts are to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

16 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

ok...Lifer...your supporting intellectual arguments, please

ok...Censored by Laurie (starting to understand Laurie more and more)...you lost me at this:

.A. covert white supremacy ; B. overt white supremacy:
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Ah yes - another witty remark from Quoner complete with calling someone names, claiming they live in an echo chamber because you don't agree with the remarks made or the article linked followed by a cute title given to said poster you disagree with.  I am so thankful that we have the GoMeanGreen.com board to talk mainly about UNT athletics, something you and your fellow cohorts rarely contribute to, where some posters are allowed to do the above while others have been banned or run off.  

I am thankful my acts are as predictable to you as your acts are to me.

You don't seem to demonstrate any understanding of what you post until you are questioned. So much of the board is people explaining basic principles to you - politics, sports, your own link, etc.. It's like watching a child learn - which oddly, seems to go better for my actual kids - because they are actually open to new ideas. You want to show up, be fawned over and have your biases confirmed and have been having years of angry meltdowns when questioned - even before the acrimony picked up.

I think I've talked sports plenty - there was a whole blog that got pretty popular (maybe start the Lifer Report and we can compare content web traffic some day) and a history going back to the mid-2000s. But weirdly enough, I just haven't broken down a game for 4 months or so. I think people who closely follow recruiting without being paid for it are mostly wasting their time so I stay out of that talk, so sorry for not adding "huge get" or "sounds like a good get" or "screw that guy for signing elsewhere" to a bunch of random threads. Sorry for not filling arguments with negative posters or trolls who would go away if ignored. No judgement if that's your thing, but weirdly, I just ignore them and stay out of them. If you'd like a take or opinion for the upcoming football season, I have no damn idea and don't want to blindly optimistically guess. And weirdly, everyone who "left" is still here either posting or trolling this site for content, and the people we have lost who were good posters will gladly point fingers at who and what made them leave in private conversations. Spoiler: it's not who you seem to think it is!

But in the end, I'm just excited that a potential new fan who is not 50+ can open this dumpster fire here or on the football forum, see great takes on covid, race relations, swearing and more, then sign up and join and be welcomed. I know we've all been on edge waiting for our less than 10 minority posters left to share their experiences and opinions in such a welcoming and open forum. It's why the site just seems to add so many new faces and diverse opinions year after year and I am sure @All About UNT, @Harry and the other admins are loving the community welcome mat the Boomers are rolling our day after day.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5