Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
greengal

Jason Bean tweet

Recommended Posts

I continuously see Bean labeled as our speedy QB, or that he has freakish athleticism, or he's a guy who could play WR for us..am I the only one who wonders where these labels came from and why he's the only one who gets them?  Now, I'll admit I didn't actually see any of his game time from this past season as it happened, so my opinion is solely based on the film and facts I can find.  What I see on film is a a player who is decently fast, but not freakish or breakaway speed.  He has a 4.65 40 yard dash on record from HS, which is respectable but I'm not sure how much damage that could do as a college WR.  Aune looks just as athletic in his HS tape, but the main difference is arm strength and that Aune gets away from pressure looking to throw while Bean looks to run.

Since a few people were throwing their QB thoughts out there I figured I'd put mine out there as well and see if I was alone in wondering why we constantly describe Bean in this way.  Just my opinion, and I would love to be shown something that could help me understand.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Bean: I always wondered what happened his senior year in high school.  From what I have seen, his arm is a concern but his speed and athleticism is off the charts which makes him intriguing.

The story I heard was he was replaced by the coaches son...  under questionable circumstances.  Can't vouch for the accuracy of that cause I was not there.

I will say this, it's a damn shame that Jason and Aune have not been given at least some reps in their time here.  Littrell threw them into the wolves against against the aggies in the bowl game and it showed that they had very little prep. 

The timing of Covid affected the normal QB attrition point of spring training.  Now we have too many QB's for the limited available reps in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

I continuously see Bean labeled as our speedy QB, or that he has freakish athleticism, or he's a guy who could play WR for us..am I the only one who wonders where these labels came from and why he's the only one who gets them?  Now, I'll admit I didn't actually see any of his game time from this past season as it happened, so my opinion is solely based on the film and facts I can find.  What I see on film is a a player who is decently fast, but not freakish or breakaway speed.  He has a 4.65 40 yard dash on record from HS, which is respectable but I'm not sure how much damage that could do as a college WR.  Aune looks just as athletic in his HS tape, but the main difference is arm strength and that Aune gets away from pressure looking to throw while Bean looks to run.

Since a few people were throwing their QB thoughts out there I figured I'd put mine out there as well and see if I was alone in wondering why we constantly describe Bean in this way.  Just my opinion, and I would love to be shown something that could help me understand.


He finished 3rd in Texas 5A in the 100m as a Senior at Lake Ridge.    He's fast.

https://tx.milesplit.com/videos/288471/jason-bean-5a-100-3rd

 

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:


He finished 3rd in Texas 5A in the 100m as a Senior at Lake Ridge.    He's fast.

https://tx.milesplit.com/videos/288471/jason-bean-5a-100-3rd

 

Wow, never knew that.  Pretty shocking that his 40 time isn't a lot lower with that kind of straight line speed, but maybe he just had a bad day at that camp.  Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 12:52 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

We saw the emergence of Siggers last year, and when Littrell got here, he rode Wilson hard because that's who his main weapon was.   Littrell may run an Air Raid, but he can definitely be run-heavy if he wants to.  He's not going to try and punch the square peg into the round hole.    If Bean/Aune/whoever gets to 3k yds, I'll be surprised.   Heck, Fine barely did last year.

To state the obvious, a lot of this will be dependent on how the line does.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Kuehne: I honestly don't know what we have here.  I have always felt, in the back of my mind, that the offer was done for Ernie's sake.  He had pretty good stats, but I have no idea what kind of competition he faced at Owasso.

He was not offered because of Ernie.  He was offered because Seth loves the kid and he’s a winner.   He had 8 published offers plus 3 more...he is the only QB ever offered by a Big 10 school that I am aware of. Not to mention he was the 1st team QB for the state of Oklahoma for 2 years.  He also won the state championship at Owasso.  Also need to be said that Kuehne while not as fast as Bean has very good wheels.  Please don’t underestimate this kid he is a winner!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Wow, never knew that.  Pretty shocking that his 40 time isn't a lot lower with that kind of straight line speed, but maybe he just had a bad day at that camp.  Thanks for the info.

Although, he only has a few college plays, he has made it evident he is very fast. 

40 speeds are all suspect, a legit track time is a much better gauge every time..

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Although, he only has a few college plays, he has made it evident he is very fast. 

40 speeds are all suspect, a legit track time is a much better gauge every time..

 

Put those legs to use and make him a WR. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dk79 said:

Put those legs to use and make him a WR. 

Noticed that Littrell did not even mention Bean in his recent commentary

Not a good sign, mentioned the other scholarship QB's

Could be a coaching game or an oversight; but does not bode well for Bean as the future QB

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Noticed that Littrell did not even mention Bean in his recent commentary

Not a good sign, mentioned the other scholarship QB's

Could be a coaching game or an oversight; but does not bode well for Bean as the future QB

Did he mention Aune? I thought I only heard him mention Martin and Kuehne.

Edited by BillySee58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Did he mention Aune? I thought I only heard him mention Martin and Kuehne.

Aune was mentioned first, as I recall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Noticed that Littrell did not even mention Bean in his recent commentary

Not a good sign, mentioned the other scholarship QB's

Could be a coaching game or an oversight; but does not bode well for Bean as the future QB

If you’re talking about the Coaches Caravan video, Seth says Bean and Aune are the front runners, then Kason and Will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marty said:

If you’re talking about the Coaches Caravan video, Seth says Bean and Aune are the front runners, then Kason and Will.

I guess I missed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Although, he only has a few college plays, he has made it evident he is very fast. 

40 speeds are all suspect, a legit track time is a much better gauge every time..

 

I noticed he averaged 6 yards a carry last season, however defensively when the defense preps all week for a QB that can run vs prepping for Mason who wasn't exactly a threat will make a huge difference should he get some game reps.  I think for that reason we could keep the "competition" open as long as we can even if coach knows who his long term starter is, possibly even into the SMU game.  HBU and A&M will likely both be blowouts in opposite directions so I could see Aune/Bean both getting a lot of reps in each game.

I'm also not sure I entirely agree with your second point, track times are great for just knowing general speed but rarely is a guy going to have 50+ yards to sprint away from everyone without making a cut or move.  From what I personally saw with Bean his cuts and start/stop speed weren't super quick and I believe that translates to a slow-ish 40 speed for a guy with such great speed over a longer distance.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the shortened evaluation time available to coaches, I am good with extending the competition into OOC games. As you pointed out, the outcomes of the first two games are likely already all but decided so might as well see how the top 2 contenders perform in meaningful live action. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 3:39 PM, meangreen11 said:

He was not offered because of Ernie.  He was offered because Seth loves the kid and he’s a winner.   He had 8 published offers plus 3 more...he is the only QB ever offered by a Big 10 school that I am aware of. Not to mention he was the 1st team QB for the state of Oklahoma for 2 years.  He also won the state championship at Owasso.  Also need to be said that Kuehne while not as fast as Bean has very good wheels.  Please don’t underestimate this kid he is a winner!

From what i've been told, he was a front runner for backup if they had spring. He has the talent, but we will see

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, North Texas Shep said:

Good for Bean. Compete your ass off. 

I echo these sentiments.  Great post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO....When you watch the times Aune and Bean were in, last spring to last fall, it was obvious who was better. Aune managed to move the ball and score. Nearly ever time Bean was in he turned the ball over. I wish both the very best but the leadership and outcomes of those drives clearly show Aune is the best going into Fall camp. Aune is very athletic and has an arm as well. A QB that just likes to run doesn’t usually go well as you get deeper in the season. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By Harry
      February 2018 North Texas Signees
      Tim Faison
      LB
      6'2"
      225
      Tallahassee, Florida (Independence CC)
      Alex Morris
      S
      6'1"
      188
      Humble, Texas (Atascocita HS)
      Thomas Preston III
      OL
      6'4"
      290
      Mesa, Arizona (Scottsdale CC)
      Derrick Shaw
      DT
      6'0"
      260
      Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (Broken Arrow HS)
      Jyaire Shorter
      WR
      6'2"
      215
      Killeen, Texas (Ellison HS)
      December 2017 North Texas Signees
      Jason Bean
      QB
      6'3"
      180
      Mansfield, Texas (Lake Ridge HS)
      Cole Brown
      OL
      6'4"
      250
      Conroe, Texas (Conroe HS)
      Keelan Crosby
      S
      6'1"
      175
      Anna, Texas (Anna HS)
      Kevyon "KD" Davis
      LB
      5'11"
      200
      Ennis, Texas (Ennis HS)
      Jaxon Gibbs
      S
      5'11"
      196
      The Colony, Texas (The Colony HS)
      Jordan Hunt
      LB
      6'2"
      215
      Wylie, Texas (Wylie HS)
      Dayton LeBlanc
      DL
      6'1"
      265
      Lexington, Kentucky (Frederick Douglass HS)
      Kason Martin
      QB
      6'3"
      200
      Manvel, Texas (Manvel HS)
      Darrian McMillan
      DL
      6'2"
      251
      Mobile, Alabama (Butler CC)
      Larry Nixon III
      LB
      6'0"
      210
      North Richland Hills, Texas (Richland HS)
      Austin Ogunmakin
      WR
      6'3"
      179
      Alief, Texas (Hastings HS)
      Tuulau Saafi
      LB
      6'3"
      272
      Euless, Texas (Mt. San Antonio College)
      DeAndre Torrey
      RB
      5'7"
      189
      Gautier, Mississippi (Gulf Coast JC)
      Reggie Williams
      S
      5'10"
      180
      Grand Prairie, Texas (Grand Prairie HS)
    • By Coach Andy Mac
      Gentlemen (and ladies) place your wagers!
    • By Harry
      February 2018 North Texas Signees
      Tim Faison
      LB
      6'2"
      225
      Tallahassee, Florida (Independence CC)
      Alex Morris
      S
      6'1"
      188
      Humble, Texas (Atascocita HS)
      Thomas Preston III
      OL
      6'4"
      290
      Mesa, Arizona (Scottsdale CC)
      Derrick Shaw
      DT
      6'0"
      260
      Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (Broken Arrow HS)
      Jyaire Shorter
      WR
      6'2"
      215
      Killeen, Texas (Ellison HS)
      December 2017 North Texas Signees
      Jason Bean
      QB
      6'3"
      180
      Mansfield, Texas (Lake Ridge HS)
      Cole Brown
      OL
      6'4"
      250
      Conroe, Texas (Conroe HS)
      Keelan Crosby
      S
      6'1"
      175
      Anna, Texas (Anna HS)
      Kevyon "KD" Davis
      LB
      5'11"
      200
      Ennis, Texas (Ennis HS)
      Jaxon Gibbs
      S
      5'11"
      196
      The Colony, Texas (The Colony HS)
      Jordan Hunt
      LB
      6'2"
      215
      Wylie, Texas (Wylie HS)
      Dayton LeBlanc
      DL
      6'1"
      265
      Lexington, Kentucky (Frederick Douglass HS)
      Kason Martin
      QB
      6'3"
      200
      Manvel, Texas (Manvel HS)
      Darrian McMillan
      DL
      6'2"
      251
      Mobile, Alabama (Butler CC)
      Larry Nixon III
      LB
      6'0"
      210
      North Richland Hills, Texas (Richland HS)
      Austin Ogunmakin
      WR
      6'3"
      179
      Alief, Texas (Hastings HS)
      Tuulau Saafi
      LB
      6'3"
      272
      Euless, Texas (Mt. San Antonio College)
      DeAndre Torrey
      RB
      5'7"
      189
      Gautier, Mississippi (Gulf Coast JC)
      Reggie Williams
      S
      5'10"
      180
      Grand Prairie, Texas (Grand Prairie HS)
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 77 Guests (See full list)

  • Images



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.