Jump to content

Jason Bean tweet


greengal
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I don’t subscribe to that. Fine was a really good college quarterback and it will be hard to replicate his production, however his numbers aren’t Cal Ripken’s consecutive games streak. Fine is our only QB to throw for 3,000 yards since we moved back to the FBS level, but I don’t think that’s because his talent was generational. I think if his talent was generational then NFL teams would have been much more interested.

35 FBS QBs threw for over 3,000 yards last year. We run an air raid. It shouldn’t take a generational talent or conference MVP to put up numbers in an air raid offense in 2020. Alec Morris put up over 1,000 yards in his 4 starts in 2016. If it’s Aune, I do expect over 3,000 yards in a full season and I’d expect close to that for Bean, maybe a little less because we’ll run more with him. Fine’s sophomore and junior numbers will be hard to match but the plays and chances are going to be there for the taking.

You’re right that they shouldn’t be held to Fine’s standards right off the bat, but they should be held to the standards of their peers across the country and conference.

Agreed.

3,000 yards is 250 per game. 

Littrell has only had one season as an OC/HC where his QB(or combined QBs) didn't throw for 3,000+ yards and that was 2016(Morris and Fine)

I expect Aune to win the job and put up decent numbers (3,000+ yds and 20+ TD's)

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We saw the emergence of Siggers last year, and when Littrell got here, he rode Wilson hard because that's who his main weapon was.   Littrell may run an Air Raid, but he can definitely be run-heavy if he wants to.  He's not going to try and punch the square peg into the round hole.    If Bean/Aune/whoever gets to 3k yds, I'll be surprised.   Heck, Fine barely did last year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We saw the emergence of Siggers last year, and when Littrell got here, he rode Wilson hard because that's who his main weapon was.   Littrell may run an Air Raid, but he can definitely be run-heavy if he wants to.  He's not going to try and punch the square peg into the round hole.    If Bean/Aune/whoever gets to 3k yds, I'll be surprised.   Heck, Fine barely did last year.

Agreed. It’s a balanced modern offense. But it still puts the ball in the air consistently, as MGNation92 referenced from prior years. I don’t know about you, but watching Fine last year it didn’t feel like what he was doing was unreplicable. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Agreed. It’s a balanced modern offense. But it still puts the ball in the air consistently, as MGNation92 referenced from prior years. I don’t know about you, but watching Fine last year it didn’t feel like what he was doing was unreplicable. 

I think it's pretty obvious the offense was a rudderless ship last year after Harrell left & Bussey went down.  That likely took a toll on Mason's numbers.  Still, I don't think his ability to recognize defenses & understanding his receivers & their routes diminished.   Cerebrally, Mason is way above Bean/Aune/any-QB-currently-on-the-roster, in my opinion.   And by the way, we're still pretty shaky at OL.  That doesn't help much.

Now, we have yet another OC.  Who knows if Bloesch will be as good as Harrell, or as bad as Reeder?  A lack of Spring Practice doesn't help that situation. 

I'm just saying, we need to temper expectations (yes, even from last year's performance) from whoever wins the QB spot this season.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think it's pretty obvious the offense was a rudderless ship last year after Harrell left & Bussey went down.  That likely took a toll on Mason's numbers.  Still, I don't think his ability to recognize defenses & understanding his receivers & their routes diminished.   Cerebrally, Mason is way above Bean/Aune/any-QB-currently-on-the-roster, in my opinion.   And by the way, we're still pretty shaky at OL.  That doesn't help much.

Now, we have yet another OC.  Who knows if Bloesch will be as good as Harrell, or as bad as Reeder?  A lack of Spring Practice doesn't help that situation. 

I'm just saying, we need to temper expectations (yes, even from last year's performance) from whoever wins the QB spot this season.

Yeah I don’t think his abilities diminished and I get there were factors working against him. Also think some weaknesses in his game were exploited. Hopefully those factors won’t be working against our guys this year, which could be an explanation on why they could have similar numbers without being as good as Fine.

I don’t disagree that our expectations should be tempered. I just think we shouldn’t feel as fans like what Fine did here could only be done by him, or that we have hit the ceiling in UNT quarterbacking and we should just accept that. And I’m not attributing those words to you since you didn’t say that, just giving my stance on why I don’t think the next guy has this unwinnable task of following Fine.

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah I don’t think his abilities diminished and I get there were factors working against him. Also think some weaknesses in his game were exploited. Hopefully those factors won’t be working against our guys this year, which could be an explanation on why they could have similar numbers without being as good as Fine.

I don’t disagree that our expectations should be tempered. I just think we shouldn’t feel as fans like what Fine did here could only be done by him, or that we have hit the ceiling in UNT quarterbacking and we should just accept that. And I’m not attributing those words to you since you didn’t say that, just giving my stance on why I don’t think the next guy has this unwinnable task of following Fine.

Right.  I certainly don't hope that is the case.   
I just don't expect NT to have the TX Tech run of QBs where there was Kingsbury, then each and every guy who stepped in afterward was able to replicate the success or take it higher, just because Littrell runs an Air Raid.  I expect some highs & some lows.  We've been blessed by 4 years of superb QB play. 
My original post to temper expectations was mainly in reponse to MGNation92's assertion that Bean can't measure up, so he should move to WR.  Bean may only throw for 2500yds, but if he can supplement with 400-600yds of rushing, that's huge.  He may throw more INTs, but if he runs for more TDs, that's huge.   Despite probable lower passing numbers, he can still help the team win, and that's the bottom line.

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right.  I certainly don't hope that is the case.   
I just don't expect NT to have the TX Tech run of QBs where there was Kingsbury, then each and every guy who stepped in afterward was able to replicate the success or take it higher, just because Littrell runs an Air Raid.  I expect some highs & some lows.  We've been blessed by 4 years of superb QB play. 
My original post to temper expectations was mainly in reponse to MGNation92's assertion that Bean can't measure up, so he should move to WR.  Bean may only throw for 2500yds, but if he can supplement with 400-600yds of rushing, that's huge.  He may throw more INTs, but if he runs for more TDs, that's huge.   Despite probable lower passing numbers, he can still help the team win, and that's the bottom line.

Just my thoughts based on the limited time I've seen from both QB's

Marquise Williams put up great numbers at NC and success under Littrell and he was definitely used in the QB run game. 

I guess I'm just scarred from the "running" QB's we've tried in the last 15 years. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Just my thoughts based on the limited time I've seen from both QB's

Marquise Williams put up great numbers at NC and success under Littrell and he was definitely used in the QB run game. 

I guess I'm just scarred from the "running" QB's we've tried in the last 15 years. 

The trepidation is valid, based on NT's history, for sure.

That's where we have to trust Littrell to recognize his talent, get it on the field, and maximize it with his brilliant offensive mind.   That may look like a 5'10" bomber, or a 6'3" runner.

Williams is a great comparison of what we might hope Bean can do in Littrell's offense.   He just barely threw for 3kyds, but he almost ran for 1k!

Or, he may like Aune better for <xyz> reasons.  I'm not sure of Aune's strengths since we haven't really seen much of him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

*I'ma make it count when the coaches switch me to WR because I have too many turnovers*

FTFY

Lmao the downvotes for not pumping his tires. We can tell who wears green colored glasses here!

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I guess I'm just scarred from the "running" QB's we've tried in the last 15 years. 

What "running" QB's have we had in that time?  Hall, Smith, Hall, Tune, Thompson, McNulty, Morris, Fine?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current QB Thoughts:

Jason Bean (redshirt soph)- good legs...but can not make the throws. Has he been overly valuable to a team he was on since his Jr year in high school?

Austin Aune (redshirt soph) - strong arm...but without real game experience as a stater for what...8+ years / nearly a decade?! Odds are this is the coaching pick solely based on age, not talent...and that will bite us if that's the case.

Kason Martin (reshirt soph) - lots of energy & personality...will never be a D1 starting QB. Can he contribute somewhere else on the field?

Will Kuehne (redshirt freshmen)- avg size & a decent Senior year in high school (2500+ yards passing & 29 total TDs // 25 passing & 4 rushing)...but is he ready for D1 leadership on & off the field? Maybe?!? 

Greyson Thompson (freshmen walk-on) - good size & great Senior year in high school (3300+ yards passing & 44 Total TDs // 34 passing & 9 rushing)...does a true freshmen ever really get a shot? Nah. Apparently he had a "Prime Time" endorsement from Deion Sanders?!? 

Luke Gombert (freshmen walk-on) - good size, but only 1200'ish yards 11 TDs & 7 INTs as a Senior....not sure if he can be more valuable at a different position?!?

Amani Gilmore (soph transfer) - good size & legs...suspect throwing / decision making and previously sat around 4th on the Kentucky depth chart (and Kentucky doesn't have good QBs)...he'll sit out this year and then we'll see what happens. Did they bring him in to get his brother who's currently being recruited?! Nah.

***Just one guy's thoughts***
 

 


 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Dk79 said:

Greyson Thompson (freshmen walk-on) - good size & great Senior year in high school (3300+ yards passing & 44 Total TDs // 34 passing & 9 rushing)...does a true freshmen ever really get a shot? Nah. Apparently he had a "Prime Time" endorsement from Deion Sanders?!?

 

 


 

 

Mason Fine would like a word with you 🙃

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Mason Fine would like a word with you 🙃

This is true, I stand corrected! I would suggest that is not the norm though...right?

Edited by Dk79
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Dk79 said:

Current QB Thoughts:

Jason Bean (redshirt soph)- good legs...but can not make the throws. Has he been overly valuable to a team he was on since his Jr year in high school?

Austin Aune (redshirt soph) - strong arm...but without real game experience as a stater for what...8+ years / nearly a decade?! Odds are this is the coaching pick solely based on age, not talent...and that will bite us if that's the case.

Kason Martin (reshirt soph) - lots of energy & personality...will never be a D1 starting QB. Can he contribute somewhere else on the field?

Will Kuehne (redshirt freshmen)- avg size & a decent Senior year in high school (2500+ yards passing & 29 total TDs // 25 passing & 4 rushing)...but is he ready for D1 leadership on & off the field? Maybe?!? 

Greyson Thompson (freshmen walk-on) - good size & great Senior year in high school (3300+ yards passing & 44 Total TDs // 34 passing & 9 rushing)...does a true freshmen ever really get a shot? Nah. Apparently he had a "Prime Time" endorsement from Deion Sanders?!? 

Luke Gombert (freshmen walk-on) - good size, but only 1200'ish yards 11 TDs & 7 INTs as a Senior....not sure if he can be more valuable at a different position?!?

Amani Gilmore (soph transfer) - good size & legs...suspect throwing / decision making and previously sat around 4th on the Kentucky depth chart (and Kentucky doesn't have good QBs)...he'll sit out this year and then we'll see what happens. Did they bring him in to get his brother who's currently being recruited?! Nah.

***Just one guy's thoughts***
 

 


 

 

Bean: I always wondered what happened his senior year in high school.  From what I have seen, his arm is a concern but his speed and athleticism is off the charts which makes him intriguing.

Aune: Other schools have had success with QB's that have gone this route.  Weeden from OK St. and Weinke from FL St. are prime examples with Weinke winning the Heisman.  Aune was highly rated coming out of Argyle.

Martin: Why will he never be a D1 starting QB?  Curious as to your thoughts on this.  He had a great senior year in high school leading Manvel to the state championship game while throwing for over 3,400 yards, 46 TD's, 13 Int's and a 62% completion percentage.

Kuehne: I honestly don't know what we have here.  I have always felt, in the back of my mind, that the offer was done for Ernie's sake.  He had pretty good stats, but I have no idea what kind of competition he faced at Owasso.

Thompson: Intriguing, but why no offers?

Gombert: He seems to be relegated to Scout team.  With all due respect to the young man, if he's starting, we are in trouble.

Gilmore: Not sure what we have here.  Had an odd offer list out of high school with two SEC offers (Kentucky and Tennessee) and two HBCU offers in TX Southern and Jackson St.  Led his HS team to a state championship but at the 2A level accounting for 6 TD's in the game.  Not sure why you commented that he has suspect decision making.

I think it will come down to the top 4 list above.  I have been a proponent of Aune from observing both he and Bean, but Bean is really intriguing.  Martin is an "oddity", for lack of a better word, to me.  He appeared to be the first man off the bench behind Fine his freshman year, but then seems to have disappeared from the conversation since and I am not sure why.  Coach's kid, which I have always liked, because they seem to have a deeper understanding of everything considering how they grew up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

@UNTLifer

Bean: I always wondered what happened his senior year in high school.  From what I have seen, his arm is a concern but his speed and athleticism is off the charts which makes him intriguing. Agreed.

Aune: Other schools have had success with QB's that have gone this route.  Weeden from OK St. and Weinke from FL St. are prime examples with Weinke winning the Heisman.  Aune was highly rated coming out of Argyle. Great points.

Martin: Why will he never be a D1 starting QB?  Curious as to your thoughts on this.  He had a great senior year in high school leading Manvel to the state championship game while throwing for over 3,400 yards, 46 TD's, 13 Int's and a 62% completion percentage. I guess, IMO, he just has never come off as a "leader"...just a great guy to have in the locke room / on the team.

Kuehne: I honestly don't know what we have here.  I have always felt, in the back of my mind, that the offer was done for Ernie's sake.  He had pretty good stats, but I have no idea what kind of competition he faced at Owasso. Good points.

Thompson: Intriguing, but why no offers? Brand new school w/ zero exposure or record of sending kids to college and poor effort on recruiting from what I recall seeing some say on twitter.

Gombert: He seems to be relegated to Scout team.  With all due respect to the young man, if he's starting, we are in trouble. Agreed.

Gilmore: Not sure what we have here.  Had an odd offer list out of high school with two SEC offers (Kentucky and Tennessee) and two HBCU offers in TX Southern and Jackson St.  Led his HS team to a state championship but at the 2A level accounting for 6 TD's in the game.  Not sure why you commented that he has suspect decision making. Good points.

I think it will come down to the top 4 list above.  I have been a proponent of Aune from observing both he and Bean, but Bean is really intriguing.  Martin is an "oddity", for lack of a better word, to me.  He appeared to be the first man off the bench behind Fine his freshman year, but then seems to have disappeared from the conversation since and I am not sure why.  Coach's kid, which I have always liked, because they seem to have a deeper understanding of everything considering how they grew up.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The thing that worries me about Gilmore is that Kentucky lost three QBs during the season and chose to play a WR and run the ball over putting in Gilmore. Not sure why but it is a concern to me. 

I remember reading somewhere that he was very raw when he first got there but had a ton of growth throughout the year,  plus the WR they put in was just chosen in the 3rd round and played pretty dang well for them so can't say I blame them for choosing him over a true freshman QB who's redshirt they probably preferred not to burn.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.