'21 WR TJ Steele (Estacado HS)

Well, it appears that 247 gave him the highest mark because he received a composite rating of .8681.  That's still excellent and that would be the third highest mark of a recruit that actually enrolled and was not a transfer.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 3

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-Mean-GReen-dynamic-WR-TJ-Steele-commits-to-MEan-Green-148290135/

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Texas-recruiting-20-fastest-recruits-in-2021-class-Theodore-Knox-Camar-Wheaton-LJ-Johnson-145579158/

TJ STEELE, WR

Verified Numbers: 10.97 in the 100
247Sports Rankings: Three-star, No. 74 receiver, No. 66 in Texas
The Skinny: Representing West Texas is Lubbock Estacado wideout TJ Steele, who posted a 10.97-second 100-meter time as a sophomore last year, before matching that 10.97 on Feb. 29. The 6-foot, 180-pound Steele, who is also a long jumper for the Matadors, gained more than 700 yards on 28 catches this past fall as he averaged a whopping 25.1 yards per catch. Steele's first two FBS offers arrived in January and February from Kansas and Tulsa, respectively. With his big-play ability derived from his verified track speed, Steele should definitely be on the radars of far more schools than have offered him to this point in the recruiting cycle.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I don’t know if y’all follow him on Instagram like me, but I’ve seen some Instagram stories and post of him with I think his girlfriend who is PREGNANT.

My wild guess is that he will be a father soon... 

Just a fun fact I figured I’d share

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Will he ever make it to Denton?

I would think, but the pressure of a D1 Student athlete is already a lot, but being a father is a whole different level. Plus, the GF is class of 2022 so she will still be in High School...

Something to watch for

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I would think, but the pressure of a D1 Student athlete is already a lot, but being a father is a whole different level. Plus, the GF is class of 2022 so she will still be in High School...

Something to watch for

It might be interesting to dig this up: IIRC, our teams that experienced great success seem to always have one guy on the roster that is a father.

I could be wrong, tho.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It might be interesting to dig this up: IIRC, our teams that experienced great success seem to always have one guy on the roster that is a father.

I could be wrong, tho.

Yeah there are usually multiple fathers on the team at any given time. Only one I am aware of on the current team is Jason Pirtle. I remember when he was first coming to UNT his baby momma was blowing up on twitter about him going to UNT and feeling like he was basically abandoning his responsibilities. Hope they have hashed things out since.

As for Steele, looked at his Instagram and his last highlight clips he posted were captioned “feed tha family” so sounds like he still has ambitions to make a career in football, which we would all love. Wishing the best for him, his GF, and their families as they navigate the situation. I think he’s going to be a dynamic playmaker here and honestly feel like if not for him been injured last year and the pandemic cancelling a lot of camps and chances to boost stock, he would be a legitimate P5 recruit. Definitely a P5 level talent.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3