My "always-on-hand" are Jim Beam and Evan Williams.  Like Woodford Reserve and Maker's, but have never acquire a taste for Buffalo Trace.  It has been a while since I tried it.  I think the one I tried had a green label.  Does that sound right?  If so, would you recommend another in their line?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

My "always-on-hand" are Jim Beam and Evan Williams.  Like Woodford Reserve and Maker's, but have never acquire a taste for Buffalo Trace.  It has been a while since I tried it.  I think the one I tried had a green label.  Does that sound right?  If so, would you recommend another in their line?

Buffalo Trace is the smoothest “cheaper” bourbon on the market IMO. I don’t recall ever seeing a green label so maybe give it another try. Same maker as Eagle Rare and Blantons in addition to Pappy Van Winkle and related products. 

• Upvote 2

Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are my two favorites(although more difficult to find these days).

Evan Williams is my favorite cheap bourbon

Another one I'd recommend is Balcones Single Malt. It's not a traditional Bourbon per se, but somewhere in between a bourbon and a single malt. it's a little more expensive ($60-70 a bottl) but highly recommended. Plus it's distilled in Waco, so that's a plus.

1 hour ago, LongJim said:

Sounds like maybe you had a bottle of Weller?  Which is also in their lineup.  Yeah, their "base" bourbon is what I was referring to, but they (as 03 mentions) also make Blanton's and Eagle Rare.  Some good stuff there.

No, I've had Weller.  This was a bottle of Buffalo Trace.  I guess I am remembering the green foil they have on the bottle's neck.  I just remember it having a sweet note that I didn't care for.  Another I like is Basil Hayden.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Another one I'd recommend is Balcones Single Malt. It's not a traditional Bourbon per se, but somewhere in between a bourbon and a single malt. it's a little more expensive ($60-70 a bottl) but highly recommended. Plus it's distilled in Waco, so that's a plus.

ok...education time.

"single malt":
 - single = single distillery...as opposed to "blended"...usually associated with Scotch whisky, which utilizes fully realized single malt whiskys blended together to create a unique product. Johnnie Walker is the best example of blended whisky...it uses whiskys from all 4 prominent productions regions of Scotland (Speyside, Lowlands, Highlands, Islay). don't let anyone ever tell you single malts are "better" than blended...there is an incredible art to both
 - malt = malted barley. single malts and almost all Scotch and Scotch-style whiskys are made from 100% barley. 

bourbon, by contrast must contain at bare minimum 51% corn. the balance can contain barely, but none I know of approach anything close to 49%. 

I don't believe I've had anything from Balcones Distillers...but from some tasting notes I found...the Single Malt is indeed 100% barely...but what is interesting is they use un-used barrels for their aging whereas most Scotch(style) whiskys use previously used barrels. what this means is that the fresh char on un-used barrels will impart more flavor and maybe a bit more body to the spirit...and that might account for a bit more "bourbon" feel to the spirit...maybe more sweet/vanilla of bourbon than the earthy/toffee/chocolate of Scotch? 

since American whiskeys (bourbon, rye, Straight) HAVE to be aged in un-used barrels, the wood/char plays a bigger role in imparting flavor than it does for Scotch(style)/Irish.

basically, think of it like this...three things are the major factors in the variance of flavors in your whisk(e)ys: Wood, Grain, Time...take time out if it for a moment...most American Whiskeys can attribute their flavor to about 50% grain, 50% wood...most Euro whiskys you're more in a 75% grain, 25% wood range.

to throw time back into it, it's why most Euro whiskys are able to age longer. time, in theory, is great for spirits...it matures the juice and mellows the alcohol...but its a bell curve because of the influence of the wood. since used-barrels are imparting less of their character on the spirit, you can age longer. fresh char and un-used barrels will continue to impart flavor with every year. a well-made 50 year old Scotch is likely incredible. I promise no one would ever want a 50 year old bourbon.  American whiskeys max out around 20-25 years...after that you're drinking wood-water. 

to get back to the original question...favorite bourbons:

- Willet Pot Still...the genie-shaped bottle you've probably all seen...one of the few independent Kentucky whiskey distilleries still in existence (though, they are likely partnering with Heaven Hill for at least some production...basically all your Kentucky whiskeys are coming from one of four umbrella companies)...really I love the whole Willet family...their special Ryes are by far my favorite rye whiskeys...and they make Rowan Creek and Noah's Mill
- Weller...their Special Reserve is a wheated bourbon, like Pappy...but affordable. wheated bourbons, while still at least 51% corn, have a high wheat percentage and usually use wheat in place of rye, and as such a re usually slightly sweeter, slightly fruitier than the dry, spicy notes rye is responsible for. 
- Jefferson Ocean...when I first heard about this project (barrels aged on ships at sea) I thought it was kitsch AF. I still think that, but the logic makes sense...agitation is good for the spirit as is the variety of climates the wood would travel through...it'd cause the wood to expand and contract. 
- Basil Hayden...light with a a good note of spice from a high rye count in their mash bill
- Breaking&Entering...St. George out in Oakland, CA is the best craft distillery west of the I-495 loop around Boston...about 5 years ago they put out a limited release bourbon under the Breaking&Entering label...it was lush, big body with prominent notes of banana and coca-cola...it was amazing. then they stopped. and I was sad. a few years ago they rebooted the brand with an American Straight Whiskey (a mash bill that is neither bourbon nor rye b/cit doesn't hit a 51% threshold for corn/rye)...it was...ok. 
- Michter's...I prefer their US1 American Whiskey, but the whole Michter's line-up is great
- Mellow Corn...100% corn, 100 proof...100% industry handshake, but for $12-15 a bottle you would usually do a lot worse
- Jim Beam...a perfectly fine whiskey...Jim Beam on the rocks is my default concert sipper. 

of course my favorite whiskey of all time is Bully Boy's American Straight Whiskey...45% corn, 45% rye, 10% malted barley...so a bit of sweet that you're used to with a bourbon, a bit of spice that you're used to with a rye and a hint of toffee from the malt...and now available for nation-wide shipping via Bridge Liquors in Rhode Island

https://bridgeliquors.com/?fbclid=IwAR2YeDU-mZFmT6zSQhrYISVjGZsNpvpHIiTa1KHs12Psymg5vt8tblHOoYc

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

ok...education time.

"single malt":
 - single = single distillery...as opposed to "blended"...usually associated with Scotch whisky, which utilizes fully realized single malt whiskys blended together to create a unique product. Johnnie Walker is the best example of blended whisky...it uses whiskys from all 4 prominent productions regions of Scotland (Speyside, Lowlands, Highlands, Islay). don't let anyone ever tell you single malts are "better" than blended...there is an incredible art to both
 - malt = malted barley. single malts and almost all Scotch and Scotch-style whiskys are made from 100% barley. 

bourbon, by contrast must contain at bare minimum 51% corn. the balance can contain barely, but none I know of approach anything close to 49%. 

I don't believe I've had anything from Balcones Distillers...but from some tasting notes I found...the Single Malt is indeed 100% barely...but what is interesting is they use un-used barrels for their aging whereas most Scotch(style) whiskys use previously used barrels. what this means is that the fresh char on un-used barrels will impart more flavor and maybe a bit more body to the spirit...and that might account for a bit more "bourbon" feel to the spirit...maybe more sweet/vanilla of bourbon than the earthy/toffee/chocolate of Scotch? 

since American whiskeys (bourbon, rye, Straight) HAVE to be aged in un-used barrels, the wood/char plays a bigger role in imparting flavor than it does for Scotch(style)/Irish.

basically, think of it like this...three things are the major factors in the variance of flavors in your whisk(e)ys: Wood, Grain, Time...take time out if it for a moment...most American Whiskeys can attribute their flavor to about 50% grain, 50% wood...most Euro whiskys you're more in a 75% grain, 25% wood range.

to throw time back into it, it's why most Euro whiskys are able to age longer. time, in theory, is great for spirits...it matures the juice and mellows the alcohol...but its a bell curve because of the influence of the wood. since used-barrels are imparting less of their character on the spirit, you can age longer. fresh char and un-used barrels will continue to impart flavor with every year. a well-made 50 year old Scotch is likely incredible. I promise no one would ever want a 50 year old bourbon.  American whiskeys max out around 20-25 years...after that you're drinking wood-water. 

- Willet Pot Still...the genie-shaped bottle you've probably all seen...one of the few independent Kentucky whiskey distilleries still in existence (though, they are likely partnering with Heaven Hill for at least some production...basically all your Kentucky whiskeys are coming from one of four umbrella companies)...really I love the whole Willet family...their special Ryes are by far my favorite rye whiskeys...and they make Rowan Creek and Noah's Mill
- Weller...their Special Reserve is a wheated bourbon, like Pappy...but affordable. wheated bourbons, while still at least 51% corn, have a high wheat percentage and usually use wheat in place of rye, and as such a re usually slightly sweeter, slightly fruitier than the dry, spicy notes rye is responsible for. 
- Jefferson Ocean...when I first heard about this project (barrels aged on ships at sea) I thought it was kitsch AF. I still think that, but the logic makes sense...agitation is good for the spirit as is the variety of climates the wood would travel through...it'd cause the wood to expand and contract. 
- Basil Hayden...light with a a good note of spice from a high rye count in their mash bill
- Breaking&Entering...St. George out in Oakland, CA is the best craft distillery west of the I-495 loop around Boston...about 5 years ago they put out a limited release bourbon under the Breaking&Entering label...it was lush, big body with prominent notes of banana and coca-cola...it was amazing. then they stopped. and I was sad. a few years ago they rebooted the brand with an American Straight Whiskey (a mash bill that is neither bourbon nor rye b/cit doesn't hit a 51% threshold for corn/rye)...it was...ok. 
- Michter's...I prefer their US1 American Whiskey, but the whole Michter's line-up is great
- Mellow Corn...100% corn, 100 proof...100% industry handshake, but for $12-15 a bottle you would usually do a lot worse
- Jim Beam...a perfectly fine whiskey...Jim Beam on the rocks is my default concert sipper. 

of course my favorite whiskey of all time is Bully Boy's American Straight Whiskey...45% corn, 45% rye, 10% malted barley...so a bit of sweet that you're used to with a bourbon, a bit of spice that you're used to with a rye and a hint of toffee from the malt...and now available for nation-wide shipping via Bridge Liquors in Rhode Island

https://bridgeliquors.com/?fbclid=IwAR2YeDU-mZFmT6zSQhrYISVjGZsNpvpHIiTa1KHs12Psymg5vt8tblHOoYc

I come to GMG.com to talk about the Mean Green & learn things.   CBL, you’re hitting .500 here.  How does this all tie-in with our Mean Green?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

ok...education time.

"single malt":

Yeah I wasn't trying to tell what was or wasn't a single malt or a bourbon, just that the particular single malt I mentioned does have the sweeter/vanilla tones as compared to a standard single malt.

For someone who doesn't enjoy single malts as much, but likes bourbon, it's a good fit for my palate.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I come to GMG.com to talk about the Mean Green & learn things.   CBL, you’re hitting .500 here.  How does this all tie-in with our Mean Green?

Tailgating refreshments.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well we all know that CBL is an expert on wood.

Interesting side note: many scotch producers buy their barrels from - you guessed it - Kentucky bourbon makers. 
Further side note, bourbon barrel aged beer is pretty damn tasty as well. 

Willett Pot Still is really good stuff. Plus a cool bottle if I am remembering correctly. Not a lot of bourbon options in Moldova or Kyrgyzstan so it has been sparse for 4 of the last five years. I generally ship some Buffalo Trace and Blanton’s when I move and pick up what I can in duty free stores when I travel. Usually that is Bulleit, Makers, or Woodford. Not a huge fan of those but Makers 46 is quite good and I like Bulleit Rye, especially in a Manhattan. 
Currently on my last half of a bottle of Blantons and last 1.75 of Jim Beam. 
The struggle is real. 

Any fans of TX bourbon? Tried it a few years about and enjoyed it. Also Treaty Oak Red Handed. Are they still making those? 

Edited by 97and03

7 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Any fans of TX bourbon? Tried it a few years about and enjoyed it. Also Treaty Oak Red Handed. Are they still making those? 

I have not had the TX bourbon, but have had the their blended whiskey.  It was given to me as a gift and it is not bad.  I have wanted to try Garrison Brother's as well.

• Upvote 1