Coaching Hot Seat 2020

It will be an interesting year for Littrell.

I don't think anyone really knows how good a coach he is.

By circumstances, Fine and he began the same year.  So what part of Fine and Littrells' records is attributable to each.

Another losing record and I think he will definitely be in trouble.   NT with their facilities plus being one of the highest paying G5 gigs in the nation, should not settle for a mediocre coaching staff. 

I do think Littrell will be capable of returning NT to a strong conference contentor.  Than the conversation will return to how can NT keep Littrell from moving on. 

• Upvote 3

There is no way we're going to fire a coach after just two consecutive losing seasons. Not right after a run of multiple bowl games!

I'm confident THIS time, we'll replace a QB with no hiccups or problems, get right back on track, nobody has a heart attack, and Seth keeps his job. 

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

By circumstances, Fine and he began the same year.  So what part of Fine and Littrells' records is attributable to each.

Another losing record and I think he will definitely be in trouble.   NT with their facilities plus being one of the highest paying G5 gigs in the nation, should not settle for a mediocre coaching staff. 

I do think Littrell will be capable of returning NT to a strong conference contentor.  Than the conversation will return to how can NT keep Littrell from moving on. 

I think it's time to wonder how responsible Harrell was for all of that.  Year 1 with GH and SL we over achieve and make a bowl game, years 2 and 3 Mason/the team have some of the best seasons we have seen here, year 4 with just SL we greatly under achieve. 

I know the popular thing to do here is to hate on Harrell, but I'm going to trust the opinion of NFL front offices execs and the USC athletic department over some random UNT fans.  Take opinion out of it and just look at the facts, the USC QB next season is getting buzz as a top 5 QB in the nation/darkhorse Heisman candidate and that's after one season in college with GH.   

Regardless, I think we have a very solid staff and roster this season and there's no reason we should miss out on a bowl game, and if we do I really don't see how anyone could think Littrell shouldn't be on a very hot seat.  Non conference will be brutal, with us likely suffering 3 blowout losses and maybe I'm just being optimistic here but our recruiting has been at the top of the conference the last few years so I can't really find any reasonable excuse for us not to be able to win 5 of 8 conference games down the stretch.

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT18Grad said:

I think it's time to wonder how responsible Harrell was for all of that.  Year 1 with GH and SL we over achieve and make a bowl game, years 2 and 3 Mason/the team have some of the best seasons we have seen here, year 4 with just SL we greatly under achieve. 

I know the popular thing to do here is to hate on Harrell, but I'm going to trust the opinion of NFL front offices execs and the USC athletic department over some random UNT fans.  Take opinion out of it and just look at the facts, the USC QB next season is getting buzz as a top 5 QB in the nation/darkhorse Heisman candidate and that's after one season in college with GH.   

Regardless, I think we have a very solid staff and roster this season and there's no reason we should miss out on a bowl game, and if we do I really don't see how anyone could think Littrell shouldn't be on a very hot seat.  Non conference will be brutal, with us likely suffering 3 blowout losses and maybe I'm just being optimistic here but our recruiting has been at the top of the conference the last few years so I can't really find any reasonable excuse for us not to be able to win 5 of 8 conference games down the stretch.

The reverse of the comment would be how much damage the old 1yr OC did?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I think  he has at least another year before he has to worry.   We were worried about losing him two season ago.   I hope the team bounces back this year and I think defense has to come back strong this year.   We couldn't stop anyone last year and pass defense was terrible.  Our DB were not even looking back at the qbs?

22 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

He may get a pass with losses to A&M, Houston and smut, but if we're contending for a conference championship at the end of the year, he'll be OK. 

• Upvote 1

I like Littrell, but in my book he has to beat LA Tech, not just this season but in most seasons. Of course the game from the Joe Greene sculpture unveiling night last season must be avenged. But, with what UNT has built, and the disadvantages LA Tech has, Littrell should be able to wins these games. If he cannot, than he certainly deserves to be on the hot seat.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Magic95Fan said:

Losses to any of

HB

SMU

Rice

UTEP

UTSA

Would put him on my hot seat list. If we only win 5 games this year, I expect it to be those 5. 

You got 4 of them right. SMU will roll us. When they have a good passing game, they smoke us. When they haven’t, we smoke them...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

52 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You got 4 of them right. SMU will roll us. When they have a good passing game, they smoke us. When they haven’t, we smoke them...

I agree.

MUTS, UTEP, Rice, UTSA, and Charlotte are the most likely wins (other than the opener of course). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I agree.

MUTS, UTEP, Rice, UTSA, and Charlotte are the most likely wins (other than the opener of course). 

My guess is we get 3 or 4 from that group and beat HBU for a 4-5 win season.

Next year, in 2021, that will be SL’s make it or break it year. If he wins less than 6, I think he’ll be gone. if he wins 6-8 games in 2021, I think he’ll get an extension here. And if he wins 9 or more, he probably will get hired away. 

• Upvote 1

I think he has earned it.  Last year was a disaster.  The decision to so completely revamp the offense backfired.  The hope is that he was planning ahead and designing an offense around a personnel strategy that will pay off down the road.  We wasted a danged Heisman campaign, though.  How many times are we gonna see something like that in the future at UNT?  Not only that, but we’re now talking about the “expected blowout loss to smu” like it’s a foregone conclusion?!  It’s just an unbelievable fall from where we were in 2018.

However, many of the things that got DD are rearing their heads, again.  Staff poached like crazy the past few years.  He did well to replace the losses early on, and time will tell if he’s managed to do it this year...but on paper this staff is not as good as those first two or three.  Even with a budget near the top of G5, we still have to deal with poaching every single year.  

4 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I think he has earned it.  Last year was a disaster.  The decision to so completely revamp the offense backfired.  The hope is that he was planning ahead and designing an offense around a personnel strategy that will pay off down the road.  We wasted a danged Heisman campaign, though.  How many times are we gonna see something like that in the future at UNT?  Not only that, but we’re now talking about the “expected blowout loss to smu” like it’s a foregone conclusion?!  It’s just an unbelievable fall from where we were in 2018.

However, many of the things that got DD are rearing their heads, again.  Staff poached like crazy the past few years.  He did well to replace the losses early on, and time will tell if he’s managed to do it this year...but on paper this staff is not as good as those first two or three.  Even with a budget near the top of G5, we still have to deal with poaching every single year.  

Fall yes, but I also think you have to acknowledge, and this hurts, that Dykes and his staff hit an absolute home run with their transfers.

• Thanks 1

He should be on the hot seat. When we made bowl games we didn't show up, when we made the conference championship we didn't show up, now we can't even make it to the bowls to begin with. I look at someone like Skip at La Tech and find it incredible what he is able to do recruiting-wise and continually pump out a winning record season after season with 1/4 - 1/2 the resources of North Texas. Then you look at what Seth has done, who makes quite a bit more than Skip, and I can't help but scratch my head as to why we haven't seen improvement during his tenure. 

I don't actively see the things that he's doing (as I do with Grant and basketball) and I simply want more out of my football coach. I know there's a ton of behind the scenes things constantly going on, but there's a disconnect because the results aren't there.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, DemolitionDan said:

He should be on the hot seat. When we made bowl games we didn't show up, when we made the conference championship we didn't show up, now we can't even make it to the bowls to begin with. I look at someone like Skip at La Tech and find it incredible what he is able to do recruiting-wise and continually pump out a winning record season after season with 1/4 - 1/2 the resources of North Texas. Then you look at what Seth has done, who makes quite a bit more than Skip, and I can't help but scratch my head as to why we haven't seen improvement during his tenure. 

I don't actively see the things that he's doing (as I do with Grant and basketball) and I simply want more out of my football coach. I know there's a ton of behind the scenes things constantly going on, but there's a disconnect because the results aren't there.  

It is time for Littrell to earn his pay.  

However, to equate a bad last year to not having make any progress, than you are just wrong. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, DemolitionDan said:

The thing with La Tech is that they have two things we don’t have—a history of winning and they sit in a hotbed of talent in their state where they have little opposition. Tulane is hard to get into, ULL and ULM are clearly below them, and their winning has made LA HS coaches and parents look at them seriously.

This is where the money part doesn’t bridge the gap between us and LT. We beat them on facilities, location, and academics, but they beat us at coaching, talent, and size. Their physicality has been the difference the last two years between us and them, same with UAB.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, DemolitionDan said:

I look at someone like Skip at La Tech and find it incredible what he is able to do recruiting-wise and continually pump out a winning record season after season with 1/4 - 1/2 the resources of North Texas. Then you look at what Seth has done, who makes quite a bit more than Skip, and I can't help but scratch my head as to why we haven't seen improvement during his tenure. 

We need to hire Skip.

• Upvote 1