The Other Top 25 2020-21- #12 North Texas

12. North Texas Mean Green

2019-20: 20-11 (14-4), Conference USA regular season champion

Grant McCasland hasn’t wasted any time getting things up and running in Denton. The Mean Green won 20 games for the third straight year, and the 34th-most efficient offense, per KenPom, propelled them to a C-USA title.

The biggest revelation was the emergence of Javion Hamlet, who turned out to be one of the best JuCo transfers in the country last season. The guard led the Mean Green in scoring at 14.6 points per game and assists at 4.7. His play earned him C-USA Player of the Year honors, and it’s reasonable to think that he enters next season as one of the frontrunners to take home the award next year.

Hamlet will need to be a star again to help pick up some of the slack from the departures of Umoja Gibson (transfer to Oklahoma) and Deng Geu. However, he won’t be alone. The Mean Green bring back four other seniors, including starters James Reese and Zachary Simmons. Thomas Bell also returns after leading the team in rebounds and hitting just under 37 percent from deep coming off the bench.

It all runs through Hamlet, though. When he goes, the Mean Green go. Lucky for McCasland, he has one of the best point guards in the country at his disposal. North Texas should be in the top tier of C-USA again.

Read more:  https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/5/14/21256196/the-other-top-25-2021-dayton-flyers-st-bonaventure-bonnies-austin-peay-jalen-crutcher

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:42 PM, meangreen11 said:

12. North Texas Mean Green

2019-20: 20-11 (14-4), Conference USA regular season champion

Grant McCasland hasn’t wasted any time getting things up and running in Denton. The Mean Green won 20 games for the third straight year, and the 34th-most efficient offense, per KenPom, propelled them to a C-USA title.

The biggest revelation was the emergence of Javion Hamlet, who turned out to be one of the best JuCo transfers in the country last season. The guard led the Mean Green in scoring at 14.6 points per game and assists at 4.7. His play earned him C-USA Player of the Year honors, and it’s reasonable to think that he enters next season as one of the frontrunners to take home the award next year.

Hamlet will need to be a star again to help pick up some of the slack from the departures of Umoja Gibson (transfer to Oklahoma) and Deng Geu. However, he won’t be alone. The Mean Green bring back four other seniors, including starters James Reese and Zachary Simmons. Thomas Bell also returns after leading the team in rebounds and hitting just under 37 percent from deep coming off the bench.

It all runs through Hamlet, though. When he goes, the Mean Green go. Lucky for McCasland, he has one of the best point guards in the country at his disposal. North Texas should be in the top tier of C-USA again.

Read more:  https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/5/14/21256196/the-other-top-25-2021-dayton-flyers-st-bonaventure-bonnies-austin-peay-jalen-crutcher

I sure hope BB happens! GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I am really excited about BB these days and I hope we have a season.  I really thought last year team had the potential to win a round or two in the NCAA. 

Last years team was the team to make it past the 1st round. I really hope we don't have as slow of a start this upcoming year because if we would've beat VCU USU OU EMU and Rice and lost in the conference championship, we would've had a much better chance at an atlarge for a 2 bid conference

On 6/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Last years team was the team to make it past the 1st round. I really hope we don't have as slow of a start this upcoming year because if we would've beat VCU USU OU EMU and Rice and lost in the conference championship, we would've had a much better chance at an atlarge for a 2 bid conference

That slow start was all about the competition and that made the team much stronger.

People complained about the 16-1 start because of the easy competition.

Coaches cannot win

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, southsideguy said:

I am really excited about BB these days and I hope we have a season.  I really thought last year team had the potential to win a round or two in the NCAA. 

I am laying claim to the 2020 National Championship.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

• 2 weeks later...