UT Athletes demand removal of racist song

MCMLXXX

29 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jun/22/shaun-king-says-jesus-images-a-form-of-white-supre/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/rice-university-black-house-statue-demolition-demands

https://www.foxnews.com/media/shaun-king-jesus-christ-statues-white-supremacy

Well, here it is. I thought the eliminate law enforcement, anarchy, mob rule, destroy Washington and Jefferson crowd, ect. was too far. Now people are calling for a new form of segregation and the worst yet eliminating symbols of Jesus Christ. 

The UT fight song is really nothing compared to this nonsense. Great cause we are seeing today. I guess the original cause is hijacked.

I mean...ain't no way Jesus was white...

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I mean...so much comedy gold to parse out in here, but the bolded line is probably my favorite.

if we had a side going to war to "end slavery' that means we also had a side willing to leave "the greatest country the world has ever seen" in order to DEFEND TO THE DEATH THE RIGHT TO OWN ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. 

we've then spent 155 years building statues to those defenders of slavery...155 years honoring a seditious flag...and 155 years of subverting those words on a piece of paper in order to continue to subjugate others. 

we (white folk) have spent 155+ years erasing history. if you actually want to learn from history, be honest about it.
 - Washington didn't have wooden false teeth, he had dentures made from the teeth of slaves. 
 - Jefferson fathered multiple children with a woman he owned.

until we teach that equally along side the Crossing of the Delaware and Louisiana Purchase we have no opportunity to learn from our mistakes

Ya. We know that.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I mean...ain't no way Jesus was white...

I don't know, anything is possible. I mean, Shaun King says he's black!?!? Dude reminds me of the guy in Powder minus electrical powers.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I mean...so much comedy gold to parse out in here, but the bolded line is probably my favorite.

if we had a side going to war to "end slavery' that means we also had a side willing to leave "the greatest country the world has ever seen" in order to DEFEND TO THE DEATH THE RIGHT TO OWN ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. 

we've then spent 155 years building statues to those defenders of slavery...155 years honoring a seditious flag...and 155 years of subverting those words on a piece of paper in order to continue to subjugate others. 

we (white folk) have spent 155+ years erasing history. if you actually want to learn from history, be honest about it.
 - Washington didn't have wooden false teeth, he had dentures made from the teeth of slaves. 
until we teach that equally along side the Crossing of the Delaware and Louisiana Purchase we have no opportunity to learn from our mistakes

I'm glad you enjoyed my post. But I'm wondering...is your glass half empty, or half full? Because you come across to me as one miserable SOB.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

53 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I don't know, anything is possible. I mean, Shaun King says he's black!?!? Dude reminds me of the guy in Powder minus electrical powers.

52 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I'm glad you enjoyed my post. But I'm wondering...is your glass half empty, or half full? Because you come across to me as one miserable SOB.

Alright time for this thread to retire.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

maybe? I suppose if you don't like reading my posts you could take your white privilege lens and antiquated viewpoints and go start a new board...

...oh

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 6:34 PM, MeanGreenTeeth said:

I'm not sure what we're even arguing about.  I never claimed that the war didn't start over slavery nor am defending what came afterwards.  I'm simply stating that slavery wasn't much of an issue to the vast majority of the soldiers.  Nor did the soldiers consider themselves traitors.  In their minds the situation was analogous to the Revolutionary War.   I mean, I guess they were traitors in a technical sense, but no less so than their grandparents had been during the revolution.

Ha!

It must be so amazing to so easily pass moral judgement on a whole group of people from 160 years ago, the vast majority of whom had probably never been further than 50 miles from their homes, were little educated, poor, and yet fought bravely to defend what they viewed as an invasion of their homeland.  I think it is not irrational to feel sympathy and admiration for people who acted bravely even if the governments under which they fought were unjust.

Treason is defined by our Constitution as "levying War against the United States, or in adhering to their Enemies, and giving them Aid and Comfort. " Also, a case can be made that both the Germans and Japanese acted bravely [minus a great number of atrocities ] even if the governments which they fought were unjust.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

maybe? I suppose if you don't like reading my posts you could take your white privilege lens and antiquated viewpoints and go start a new board...

...oh

I was wondering about people like you who find nothing good about our country and constantly degrade and belittle others viewpoints. I mean, I can accept our founders failings along with their accomplishments. I just wonder who are your heroes? Who is it in history that you admire? And before you list, and I'm just assuming here, JFK, RFK, MLK and others, I admire those men and their accomplishments as well, despite their shortcomings. As I stated, I'm just assuming on your behalf. I'm sure I'm WAY off.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I mean...so much comedy gold to parse out in here, but the bolded line is probably my favorite.  I am sure you were just trying to make a point about some of his dentures being made from human teeth, not all as you seemed to infer.

Not quite true, but I sure you were just trying to fit your narrative of "white man bad."

Either way, all of the options were disgusting, in my humble opinion.

https://www.mountvernon.org/george-washington/health/washingtons-teeth/#:~:text=Throughout his life Washington employed,brass)%2C and silver alloy.

Throughout his life Washington employed numerous full and partial dentures that were constructed of materials including human, and probably cow and horse teeth, ivory (possibly elephant), lead-tin alloy, copper alloy (possibly brass), and silver alloy.

Deep within one of Washington’s account books is an entry which details Washington’s purchase of nine teeth from “Negroes” for 122 shillings. Whether the teeth provided by the Mount Vernon enslaved persons were simply being sold to dentist Dr. Jean-Pierre Le Mayeur or whether they were intended for George Washington, is unknown at this time. Since Washington paid for the teeth it suggests that they were either for his own use or for someone in his family. It is important to note that while Washington paid these enslaved people for their teeth it does not mean they had a real option to refuse his request.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 3
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

I was wondering about people like you who find nothing good about our country and constantly degrade and belittle others viewpoints. I mean, I can accept our founders failings along with their accomplishments. I just wonder who are your heroes? Who is it in history that you admire? And before you list, and I'm just assuming here, JFK, RFK, MLK and others, I admire those men and their accomplishments as well, despite their shortcomings. As I stated, I'm just assuming on your behalf. I'm sure I'm WAY off.

can you accept your heroes failings? you took my criticism and leaped to the idea that I "find nothing good about our country". 

I think there are innumerable wonderful things about the United States. I think we've produced hundreds of thousands of brilliant minds, remarkably talented artists, inspirational leaders...I'll gladly put my first-hand knowledge and experiences of the beauty and cultures across this country up against anyone (at least anyone on this board.) 

I also think we've done a lot of shit. like, really, really bad shit. and I think it's important to teach, learn and understand both...the great and the shit...unfortunately we have for all of years been force-fed American Exceptionalism...really in both definitions of the word...and that has sucked many/most/the masses of their ability to have any sense of humility when it comes to our history. we'd rather bury it than address it honestly...or at best we frame our general teaching to only focus and promote a narrative of American "greatness".

for example, the more I thought about it, I honestly still can not get over how you framed the Civil War as a fight to end slavery. one side fought to defend slavery. the other fought to maintain a union...after 50+ years of compromises to maintain a balance of interests between north and south. and to frame it that way is disingenuous and dangerous. it takes one of the worst things our nation has done, makes Lincoln a hero for "ending slavery"...teaches you Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment and ties a pretty little bow on things. 

to your question, I have dozen of people whose work/lives/art/knowledge/viewpoints I admire...I do think the words and message of MLK are as incredibly poignant right now as they were in the 60s...same goes for Malcom, Fred Hampton, Nina Simone...I admire the lives and works of Ernest Hemingway, Jack Kerouac, Charles Bukowski, Tom Robbins...Fela Kuti, Jason Molina, Killer Mike...don't know if I'd call any of them "hero", though...don't know if I've any real need for a "hero".

maybe Bill Murray? oh, and @Quoner

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

NASCAR noose was door rope pull sitting in garage since last fall.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/06/no-charges-in-nascar-noose-incident-involving-black-driver.html

really glad it's not a hate crime. 

do we want to talk about how there can still exist a culture where a noose can be a casually decorative accent piece for a garage for at least a year and no one says/does a thing about it? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

can you accept your heroes failings? you took my criticism and leaped to the idea that I "find nothing good about our country". 

I think there are innumerable wonderful things about the United States. I think we've produced hundreds of thousands of brilliant minds, remarkably talented artists, inspirational leaders...I'll gladly put my first-hand knowledge and experiences of the beauty and cultures across this country up against anyone (at least anyone on this board.) 

I also think we've done a lot of shit. like, really, really bad shit. and I think it's important to teach, learn and understand both...the great and the shit...unfortunately we have for all of years been force-fed American Exceptionalism...really in both definitions of the word...and that has sucked many/most/the masses of their ability to have any sense of humility when it comes to our history. we'd rather bury it than address it honestly...or at best we frame our general teaching to only focus and promote a narrative of American "greatness".

for example, the more I thought about it, I honestly still can not get over how you framed the Civil War as a fight to end slavery. one side fought to defend slavery. the other fought to maintain a union...after 50+ years of compromises to maintain a balance of interests between north and south. and to frame it that way is disingenuous and dangerous. it takes one of the worst things our nation has done, makes Lincoln a hero for "ending slavery"...teaches you Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment and ties a pretty little bow on things. 

to your question, I have dozen of people whose work/lives/art/knowledge/viewpoints I admire...I do think the words and message of MLK are as incredibly poignant right now as they were in the 60s...same goes for Malcom, Fred Hampton, Nina Simone...I admire the lives and works of Ernest Hemingway, Jack Kerouac, Charles Bukowski, Tom Robbins...Fela Kuti, Jason Molina, Killer Mike...don't know if I'd call any of them "hero", though...don't know if I've any real need for a "hero".

maybe Bill Murray? oh, and @Quoner

Well then, I guess there's hope for you yet!  As to the Civil War example, it's a fact. If you want to put a moral disclaimer to it, fine. But no other country fought a war with itself to end slavery.  I choose to take to positive side of it. I suppose that's my optimistic view so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this and many other issues.

I for one, am proud of this country and can accept it's shortcomings. Life isn't perfect,  America isn't perfect. I understand all of the failings of this country. I don't know how old you are, but my old, antiquated thinking. as you put it, was shaped by my experiences growing up. I remember JFK's assassination, MLK's, RFK's, the Watts riots of the mid 60's, Rodney King, OJ, and now this.  Each one was a gut punch. But I have to be honest, the events of the last month pale in comparison to those previously mentioned, in my opinion, and I'm only speaking from experience. The country was rocked by all of it, but life goes on and we all tried to do better as a result. Some of us learned lessons, some didn't. But we've come a long way and even elected a black President!. Twice!

So yes, I choose to focus on the good this country has done and yes, I think it is exceptional. We've done more to help countries when disaster hits than anyone. I believe we're the most generous people on earth. To whom much is given, much is required in return. (Luke 12:48) Yes, we have been blessed. You might say privileged...so be it.  I'll bastardize RFK's quote and not ask why not, but ask why can't we do more? I believe we will do more if we don't tear it apart first.

OK. I think we've beaten this horse to death. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1