Seattle 'autonomous zone'

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not sure what all is going on here but I will guarantee you if this was "right wing" groups a few of you on here and the MSM would be going wild. Let's see what happens

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-protests-armed-guards-local-businesses-extortion

Wasn't there some sort of an armed stand off between some "militia" type group and law enforcement (I want to say at the federal level) a few years ago?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Wasn't there some sort of an armed stand off between some "militia" type group and law enforcement (I want to say at the federal level) a few years ago?

Yes, and it was covered widely. This is a group taking over part of a city, a little different scenario than we have seen before.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

From a UNT grad who lives in Seattle:

"Have walked down to the zone three times. I was handed free burritos twice, offered bottled water, listened to a band, watched a little bit of a documentary and heard a great speaker. They gave my dog treats and the police I saw later on my route back were laughing and joking, too. If this is anarchy, sign me up."

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

36 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Checked CNN and MSNBC and could not find any coverage. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/us/seattle-police-autonomous-zone/index.html

AND

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/media/seattle-antifa-protest-trump/index.html

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, LongJim said:

one of my favorite musicians is an english punk-folk singer named Frank Turner...he has a song called Love, Ire and Song with the following lyics:

Well it was bad enough the feeling, the first time it hit
When you realized your parents had let the world all go to shit
And that the values and ideals for which many had fought and died
Had been killed off in the committees and left to die by the wayside
But it was worse when we turned to the kids on the left
And got let down again by some poor excuse for protest
Yeah by idiot douchebaging hippies in 50 different factions
Who are locked inside some kind of 60's battle re-enactment
And I hung up my banner in disgust and I head for the door

this has always been a pretty accurate telling of a part of my political and protest ethos...and definitely applies to what looks like is unfolding in Seattle. I mean...anarchy is in part defined by it's own lack of structure...and I'm thrilled to see this organic re-imagining of who actually controls government and what society can look like, but I fear it's going to end up accomplishing little due to it's own lack of focus. this should be focused under the Black Lives Matter anti-police brutality/"Defund" (I'm not big on this messaging) the Police...not an opportunity for a new liberal Luther to nail a 95 thesis of progressive demands on the city hall door. 

I'm curious to see how it plays out. as I mentioned, Christiania was formed in a similar manner and has been in existence now for nearly 50 years with various levels of blessing and contention with the Danish/Copenhagen government. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLmmE2hVI4

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

47 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

one of my favorite musicians is an english punk-folk singer named Frank Turner...he has a song called Love, Ire and Song with the following lyics:

Well it was bad enough the feeling, the first time it hit
When you realized your parents had let the world all go to shit
And that the values and ideals for which many had fought and died
Had been killed off in the committees and left to die by the wayside
But it was worse when we turned to the kids on the left
And got let down again by some poor excuse for protest
Yeah by idiot douchebaging hippies in 50 different factions
Who are locked inside some kind of 60's battle re-enactment
And I hung up my banner in disgust and I head for the door

this has always been a pretty accurate telling of a part of my political and protest ethos...and definitely applies to what looks like is unfolding in Seattle. I mean...anarchy is in part defined by it's own lack of structure...and I'm thrilled to see this organic re-imagining of who actually controls government and what society can look like, but I fear it's going to end up accomplishing little due to it's own lack of focus. this should be focused under the Black Lives Matter anti-police brutality/"Defund" (I'm not big on this messaging) the Police...not an opportunity for a new liberal Luther to nail a 95 thesis of progressive demands on the city hall door. 

I'm curious to see how it plays out. as I mentioned, Christiania was formed in a similar manner and has been in existence now for nearly 50 years with various levels of blessing and contention with the Danish/Copenhagen government. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLmmE2hVI4

Sounds like Bob Dylan lyrics.

16 hours ago, Quoner said:

"Have walked down to the zone three times. I was handed free burritos twice, offered bottled water, listened to a band, watched a little bit of a documentary and heard a great speaker. They gave my dog treats and the police I saw later on my route back were laughing and joking, too. If this is anarchy, sign me up."

Saw a Capitol Hill resident interviewed who said “graffiti and trash is everywhere” and small business owners are disrespected. Police say emergency response times are now three times as long as before. Who cares, just give me a free burrito, a bottle of water and a dog treat. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecut.com/amp/2020/06/whats-going-on-in-chaz-the-seattle-autonomous-zone.html

You're buying into a cultivated boogeyman - it's fine. It's 7 blocks of a demonstration (and I share CBL's concerns about the end game) and you're being fed performative outrage and filtered accounts. You're gonna survive it, I promise.

Doesn't being scared, outraged or worried about every trivial thing conservative news focuses on get exhausting for you snowflakes? Between this, the great Paw Patrol outrage, Jade Helm, Obama's tan suit, the confederate flag and statues... I'd be constantly exhausted... and that's even before you get to things that actually matter. You guys truly deserve a well-earned break.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

16 hours ago, Quoner said:

Sounds like Fry Street Fair.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Saw a Capitol Hill resident interviewed who said “graffiti and trash is everywhere” and small business owners are disrespected. Police say emergency response times are now three times as long as before. Who cares, just give me a free burrito, a bottle of water and a dog treat. 

You likely saw previously discussed and proven liar/misrepresenter Andy Ngo giving you the real dirt. https://foxwilmington.com/headlines/andy-ngo-reports-from-seattle-hard-for-me-to-overstate-the-anarchy-that-is-on-the-streets/

Sounds scary! Call anyone in Seattle and they will confirm that is all fabrication.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

We don't want walls!  They surrounded their area with walls.

We hate guns!  Their is a gun club there providing security.

You just can't make this stuff up.

I mean... Tucker Carlson had some killer fan fiction on the topic just the other day and it triggered the president, so, turns out you can pretty easily.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Quoner said:

I mean... Tucker Carlson had some killer fan fiction on the topic just the other day and it triggered the president, so, turns out you can pretty easily.

Disagreeing with a point of view doesn't make it false.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Disagreeing with a point of view doesn't make it false.

Lying about violence and extortion to stoke the fears of your base is not a disagreement, even if you enjoyed lapping it up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Quoner said:

Lying about violence and extortion to stoke the fears of your base is not a disagreement, even if you enjoyed lapping it up.

You sure make a lot of assumptions.  You also ignore facts from sources you disagree with.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

You sure make a lot of assumptions.  You also ignore facts from sources you disagree with.

By all means, tell me what facts have I missed here and I'll adjust accordingly. Ngo's credibility issues and willingness to edit reality for attention are well documented, but I'm open to anything else you've got - especially if it supercedes that first hand account (and updates from an entire office of coworkers in the city, plus members of my wife's family who live there. If they are being held and forced to report an alternate reality, I certainly don't want to sit here and pretend it is okay.)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

They were saying on the news that they are legally allowed to do it.  I don't like it but if they want to stop people from doing it they have to change the damn laws.

You must be watching CNN/bsnbc

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1