Players you are excited about

For me it has to be Kenneth Dotson.  He redshirted last year and is listed at 6-3, 257.  I seriously doubt he is still at that size.  Would like to see him get into the rotation this year.

Also Davontae McCrae the juco transfer from Northern Mississippi.  .   6-4 250 and can run.  He could be a big player for us.  I also find Jimmy Walker interesting but he's very young.

• Upvote 1

DLine definitely has the most exciting prospects overall.

I'm interested to see the TE's. Especially now that Khatib Lyles has moved to the position. Should be a very athletic group. Christian Lee might even play as a true freshman. He's so athletic

Also excited to see the development of Deonte Simpson. He looked good as a true freshman, and could be a huge compliment to Darden and Shorter.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2

Really liked Dalton Byers footwork on film and he might have the best build of any of our O linemen at 6’5” 305. Hoping he put together a productive redshirt year because if he did I think he should be one of our top 5 linemen this year.

Defensively I think we really have something special brewing with the way we have recruited in the secondary. In particular I think Gaddie is going to be an all conference level player for us and I expect him to be a good player this year as a sophomore. Also really intrigued by Jevin Murray. Very highly recruited with offers from schools like Louisville, Oregon State, and Memphis. Was listed as a safety by recruiting sites but he was a stud HS corner, and will be interesting to see where he fits into the mix in the secondary.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

Defense: Jevin Murray, Dorian Morris, Deshawn Gaddie, Davontae McCray, Alex Morris, Jaxon Gibbs, Taylor Jacobs, Kealon Jackson, Jimmy Walker, Dayton Leblanc and Kenneth Dotson

Offense: Deonte Simpson, Jyaire Shorter, Oscar Adaway III, Chris Cassidy, Anterrious Gray, Daxton Byers, Khatib Lyles and Christian Lee.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite the fact that we have some fine running backs I really look forward to Oscar Adaway joining that group.  He is just oozing with potential.  An offensive lineman who was dominant in high school was Daizion Carroll.  He was an excellent center but I see they have now moved him to guard.  I hope that they will move him back because center seems to be the weaker position this year.  I hope to see Simpson pick up where he left off last year and would like to see his high school teammate Damon Ward this year as well.

On the defensive side I am hoping that Alex Morris will develop along with Gaddie to give us a solid defensive backfield.  I think that Garnett Burke will be another strong defender but I don't know if he'll make it yet since he will be a true freshman. I'd like to see what the Murphy twins and Taylor Jacobs can do at linebacker.

This team has the talent to be one of our best; it only lacks in experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

I'm really excited to see how Deonte Simpson grows. He's so athletic and can use his strength to power through. He learned a lot considering he was a true freshman. 

On defense it would have to be Davontae McCrae. Gives me Ladarius Hamilton vibes from his film, and I would love to see a sack or 2 againsrt Buchele...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Surprised nobody has said Siggers yet. Had a real solid first year transitioning to RB.

Love Siggers, but I guess I was thinking of players that haven't really stood out yet.  I almost left Shorter off of my list because of this same reason.

• Upvote 2

Gaddie for sure. In fact the entire secondary. Our inability to cover last year shifted the entire defense strategy away from the attack mode of the previous year. No pressure on the QB led to even worse coverage. 

17 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Gaddie for sure. In fact the entire secondary. Our inability to cover last year shifted the entire defense strategy away from the attack mode of the previous year. No pressure on the QB led to even worse coverage. 

Gaddie not pushing Harvey or Johnson out of the starting lineup last year was alarming.  I was expecting him to be starting by conference play.    The secondary (despite being the best-recruited position group over the past 2 seasons, imo) is still a huge concern for me...  Not a position group I'm excited about.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Gaddie not pushing Harvey or Johnson out of the starting lineup last year was alarming.  I was expecting him to be starting by conference play.    The secondary (despite being the best-recruited position group over the past 2 seasons, imo) is still a huge concern for me...  Not a position group I'm excited about.

I don’t know who the blame should be placed on for that. Seems like the coaches were intent on Harvey keeping his spot. Maybe it’s because they didn’t think Gaddie was ready but they thought he was good enough to burn his redshirt for special teams so I’m not sure. 

We finally have sophomores and redshirt freshmen who were a step above the older players at their position, in terms of profile as a high school recruit. Hopefully we start to see these young guys actually beat out older players for the job instead of just falling in line like they have been. Even Alabama and Clemson have underclassmen beating out seniors and juniors.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1