‘21 TE Var’Keyes Gumms - Dekaney [SIGNED LOI]

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cooke County Kid said:

I wonder if he is doing this same thing for the other teams that have offered him or just a select few?

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

WIN GAMES!!!

He doesn't have the relationships at other schools that he does here.

You guys forgot his best tweet in my opinion!

Pretty crazy recruiting for this guy, his first offer was from LSU about a year and a half ago and then he got an offer from Texas shortly after and looked like he was on the verge of truly blowing up.  Recruiting experts were even saying the same thing.

It sounds like he missed most of last season with some injuries and then his most recent offers are definitely a couple tiers below where he started (Utah St, Prairie View A&M, Grambling, UNT, then Southern most recently) so you wonder what exactly is going on and if big schools are waiting to see if he's back to form or what.  Regardless, I think we have stumbled on a major sleeper prospect here and I really hope we can stick with him.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

You guys forgot his best tweet in my opinion!

Pretty crazy recruiting for this guy, his first offer was from LSU about a year and a half ago and then he got an offer from Texas shortly after and looked like he was on the verge of truly blowing up.  Recruiting experts were even saying the same thing.

It sounds like he missed most of last season with some injuries and then his most recent offers are definitely a couple tiers below where he started (Utah St, Prairie View A&M, Grambling, UNT, then Southern most recently) so you wonder what exactly is going on and if big schools are waiting to see if he's back to form or what.  Regardless, I think we have stumbled on a major sleeper prospect here and I really hope we can stick with him.

I don't want to ring the alarm on "sleeper" here, but y'all may recall this was the same path that brought us Zach Orr.

He was an All-State LB at DeSoto getting a ton of looks from P5s, got hurt, then those offers dried up.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:55 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't want to ring the alarm on "sleeper" here, but y'all may recall this was the same path that brought us Zach Orr.

He was an All-State LB at DeSoto getting a ton of looks from P5s, got hurt, then those offers dried up.  

Yeah and Gumms seems to really want to come here by the way he's reacting lol.

The TE position will be LOADED if he joins, and I ain't complaining

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Yeah and Gumms seems to really want to come here by the way he's reacting lol.

The TE position will be LOADED if he joins, and I ain't complaining

If he came we would have up to 4 underclassmen tight ends who had P5 offers out of high school (Lyles, Alberding, Roberts, Gumms).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

Lyles is a wr right?

He is listed as a tight end because he was moved to the “Y” receiver position, which is an inside receiver position in our offense. We have two inside receiver positions, “A” and “Y”. “A” is more of a traditional slot receiver like Jaelon Darden who is our starting “A” receiver, and “Y” is a more like a pass-catching tight end type body.

Lyles, and all of the players listed as tight ends, are our “Y” receivers. So while Lyles is listed as a tight end you won’t see him lining up next to an offensive tackle with his hand in the dirt combo blocking a defensive end.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He is listed as a tight end because he was moved to the “Y” receiver position, which is an inside receiver position in our offense. We have two inside receiver positions, “A” and “Y”. “A” is more of a traditional slot receiver like Jaelon Darden who is our starting “A” receiver, and “Y” is a more like a pass-catching tight end type body.

Lyles, and all of the players listed as tight ends, are our “Y” receivers. So while Lyles is listed as a tight end you won’t see him lining up next to an offensive tackle with his hand in the dirt combo blocking a defensive end.

Unless they audible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Love this.  He will be a matchup nightmare out of that position.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Love this.  He will be a matchup nightmare out of that position.

2016 and 2017 we typically had traditional slot receivers at both inside spots, but coaches started to transition to this look in 2018 and really started the full-on shift in 2019. That’s why we have seen so many tight ends recruited the last few years after we didn’t recruit any from the 2016 through the 2018 classes.

Unfortunately last year this shift was derailed by Kelvin Smith’s injury, but this should be the norm going forward. Like you said, matchup nightmares like Lyles and Christian Lee (and hopefully Gumms) in one slot with shifty speedsters like Darden and Kealon Jackson at the other. And some blocking ability at the position from guys like Jake Roberts to keep things well rounded.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...