‘21 TE Var’Keyes Gumms - Dekaney [SIGNED LOI]

22 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He definitely seems to like the recruiting game. He has been tweeting the love he’s getting from Houston and from us. Can’t fault him for that. I don’t expect him to commit anywhere anytime soon.

Yep, exactly. While I don't believe these offers are on the table anymore, this is a player who was getting offers from schools like Texas and LSU at one point, and then I guess he got hurt.  He fully expects schools of that caliber to start coming around again, and I bet some will.  This will be a tough one to pull in, but the fact that we are in the running and looking good at this time says a lot about our recruiting staff to me.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

He definitely seems to like the recruiting game. He has been tweeting the love he’s getting from Houston and from us. Can’t fault him for that. I don’t expect him to commit anywhere anytime soon.

I saw on 247 that we were his top destination, but he’s a kid and he’ll change his mind.

Really hoping we can get him 

• 4 weeks later...

Article from back in June.

https://247sports.com/Article/VarKeyes-Gumms-247-UNT-Football-Recruiting-2021-North-Texas-Offers-148120226/

"My head coach was like 'You're going to be just like Kelvin Smith'," Gumms said. "I was like, 'Who is Kelvin Smith?'."

Eventually the two met and began to build a friendship. Playing the same position, possessing similar frames and playing styles while also taking similar paths, Smith became a natural mentor for Gumms. Of course, North Texas has come up in a few conversations.

"He was just telling me how it's a really good school," Gumms said. "He's good to talk to. I've talked to Roderick Young, too."

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 6:32 AM, BillySee58 said:

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

September 10th 100? 100 what?

100%?
100 days after September 10th?

And how about that ellipsis? What did he omit? He does know that an ellipsis indicates an omission, right?

I think he means he will commit at the 100th minute on September 10th

• Upvote 1