Minneapolis City Council to disband the Police Department

I feel this shouldn't need mentioning...yet...I know this audience: "disbanding/defunding the police" does not equate to "do away with law enforcement." 

we're long overdue for a full re-evalutation of how, what and who we police.  most of the time we pay it lip service...body cameras, de-escalation training, actual prosecutions for officer murders...finally leadership is attempting to enact meaningful reform.

I've no idea how this will turn out...seems the council itself will be approaching it as a learning experience...I'm just glad more people are coming to the idea that we don't need just negative reinforcement...from punitive laws to authoritarian enforcement...to be a functioning society. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I feel this shouldn't need mentioning...yet...I know this audience: "disbanding/defunding the police" does not equate to "do away with law enforcement." 

we're long overdue for a full re-evalutation of how, what and who we police.  most of the time we pay it lip service...body cameras, de-escalation training, actual prosecutions for officer murders...finally leadership is attempting to enact meaningful reform.

I've no idea how this will turn out...seems the council itself will be approaching it as a learning experience...I'm just glad more people are coming to the idea that we don't need just negative reinforcement...from punitive laws to authoritarian enforcement...to be a functioning society. 

I am struggling to understand the defund movement. I can tell you this, they need a better slogan. Worst branding ever. Ok maybe not ever but on par with Chevy trying to sell the Nova in Latin America. 

But from what I have seen, a lot of it has to do with reallocation of resources to solve root causes rather than ramping up enforcement of “victimless crimes.” (Still not sure I am comfortable with that term but I get it.) 

So instead of massive anti-drug task forces with tons of manpower and equipment, put money into rehabilitation and treatment. Instead of arresting homeless people, put resources into affordable housing and jobs. Instead of arrest and incarceration for the mentally ill, boost up mental health resources. (As I type this up I see issues that are real problems for veterans. Seems like this would need a corresponding federal level investment in the VA.)

Here is something I read that tries to explain it: 

Again I am still trying to wrap my head around this concept but I am beginning to understand. I know we are in desperate need of change but I don’t have a position on how yet. I know we should be able to do better on many on these root cause issues but honestly our society really isn’t geared that way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

Chicago Mayor Now Pleading With Walmart And Other Companies Not To Leave The City

A manufacturing company that has been in Minneapolis since 1987 has decided to leave the city.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/06/chicago-mayor-now-pleading-walmart-companies-not-leave-city/

Don't think they are leaving due to the Police

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2020 at 1:24 AM, 97and03 said:

I am struggling to understand the defund movement. I can tell you this, they need a better slogan. Worst branding ever. Ok maybe not ever but on par with Chevy trying to sell the Nova in Latin America. 

But from what I have seen, a lot of it has to do with reallocation of resources to solve root causes rather than ramping up enforcement of “victimless crimes.” (Still not sure I am comfortable with that term but I get it.) 

So instead of massive anti-drug task forces with tons of manpower and equipment, put money into rehabilitation and treatment. Instead of arresting homeless people, put resources into affordable housing and jobs. Instead of arrest and incarceration for the mentally ill, boost up mental health resources. (As I type this up I see issues that are real problems for veterans. Seems like this would need a corresponding federal level investment in the VA.)

Here is something I read that tries to explain it: 

Again I am still trying to wrap my head around this concept but I am beginning to understand. I know we are in desperate need of change but I don’t have a position on how yet. I know we should be able to do better on many on these root cause issues but honestly our society really isn’t geared that way. 

I ad lined in another thread, but the NAACP president declined to endorse ‘defund police’ movement. I think most  believe there is a need for change and reform but rushing into a complete overhaul without a plan might not work out so well

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I ad lined in another thread, but the NAACP president declined to endorse ‘defund police’ movement. I think most  believe there is a need for change and reform but rushing into a complete overhaul without a plan might not work out so well

"I read the report of the 1919 riot in Chicago, and it is as if I was reading the report of the investigating committee of the Harlem riot of 1935, the report of the investigating committee of the Harlem riot of 1943, the report of the McCone Commission on the Watts riot [1965]...I must again in candor say to you...it is a kind of Alice in Wonderland with the same motion picture re-shown over and over again, the same analysis, the same recommendations, the same inaction"

- Dr. Kenneth Clark - Kerner Commission Report, 1968. 

this isn't new. 

the system isn't broken. the system is running exactly as it was intended to. the system is the problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5