NFL to Allow Protest During National Anthem

Agree there needs to be changes but is the answer to villainize everyone that does not agree? Is the new goal to make anyone that does not agree with 100% of what is deemed the "correct position" the new standard? One of the coordinators at Utah is being suspended for a racial comment made in a 2013 post. Is that a good thing to do? If you agree with it do you believe the same standard should be held on both sides of the discussion? Should all coaches and athletes be suspended for racially derogatory post? Would be interesting to hear comments, other than "it's not the same".

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Another example of doing the right thing?

LA Galaxy 'part ways' with Aleksandar Katai after wife's 'racist and violent' social media posts

His wife's posts were pretty gross, and they said it was a mutual parting of ways. Almost any company you work for today is going to have a social media policy about not saying or doing things that reflect badly on the organization. Interesting that comments by his wife played into it, but it's the same concept.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

His wife's posts were pretty gross, and they said it was a mutual parting of ways. Almost any company you work for today is going to have a social media policy about not saying or doing things that reflect badly on the organization. Interesting that comments by his wife played into it, but it's the same concept.

I think if we looked hard there are probably a lot of post made by family members, many under hidden alias that are pretty disgusting. Just a little worried where this might end up.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

This doesn't end well for the NFL. They lose no matter which side of this they take. If they decide not to allow protests during the National Anthem, they run the risk of alienating their black players. Let's be real, the NFL is probably made up of 75% black players. I don't know the real make up, but I am guessing at that so don't say that I quoted that as a fact. I just believe it is at least 75% or more. I am sure someone can get the real demographic numbers. On the other hand, a huge majority of their fan base that actually buy tickets are going to be against protests during the National Anthem. We saw that before with empty seats in stadiums. I personally think their best way out is going to be like the college game. Just leave the players in the locker room. Sure initially people from both sides of this coin will be upset, but I think they will get over that part quickly. It is going to be their best compromise.

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree there needs to be changes but is the answer to villainize everyone that does not agree? Is the new goal to make anyone that does not agree with 100% of what is deemed the "correct position" the new standard? 

says the person who has couched 85% of their arguments across a dozen different topics (most of which he's started) in the purely polar view of liberal vs. conservative?

(please tell me you're self-aware enough to know you've done this...I mean, I'll take the time to pull the quotes, but I won't be happy about it)

• Upvote 6
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

12 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

says the person who has couched 85% of their arguments across a dozen different topics (most of which he's started) in the purely polar view of liberal vs. conservative?

(please tell me you're self-aware enough to know you've done this...I mean, I'll take the time to pull the quotes, but I won't be happy about it)

I'm self aware enough how you like to act. You go around acting like you're a beacon of knowledge. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

I don’t watch the NFL because I already dedicate my Saturday’s to football and prefer to spend time with family, get outdoors etc. Haven’t paid much attention to it in over 20 years. The NBA season is to long and it bores me. I really don’t care what their policy is. Why don’t they just stop playing the national anthem and problem solved. If that had been the policy Kaepernick would just be another guy that played in the NFL. 
Alternatively I suppose they could play the National anthem while the teams are in the locker room like we do at NT home football games.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm self aware enough to know you like to act like an ass. You go around acting like you the beacon of knowledge.  Like I said, an ass

that's actually not "self" awareness, champ. 

either way...if that's your sentiment, it's gonna get a lot worse for you before it gets better...I'm planning (at least) weekly lessons on specific elements/events from the past 150 years or so of our nation's great history that have contributed to and perpetuated racism...be it systemic, acute, covert, overt...considering adding an image of an eagle, the flag, the thin blue line flag (which some how people are ignoring as desecration) to each post for protection...I might even take the all caps topic title approach, haven't decided yet. 

you could always just ignore each one of them. you won't , of course.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

I don’t watch the NFL because I already dedicate my Saturday’s to football and prefer to spend time with family, get outdoors etc. Haven’t paid much attention to it in over 20 years. The NBA season is to long and it bores me. I really don’t care what their policy is. Why don’t they just stop playing the national anthem and problem solved. If that had been the policy Kaepernick would just be another guy that played in the NFL. 
Alternatively I suppose they could play the National anthem while the teams are in the locker room like we do ay NT home games.

I'm honestly not trying to be glib here (I know...I'm "self" aware enough to know that's rare and might need a caveat), but your logic is basically saying you would rather drop the anthem altogether than allow 1,2, 20 people to silently protest during it. 

the anthem isn't controversial. it was never why Kaep took a knee...and had that been the policy he would've found another way to protest. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

either way...if that's your sentiment, it's gonna get a lot worse for you before it gets better...I'm planning (at least) weekly lessons on specific elements/events from the past 150 years or so of our nation's great history that have contributed to and perpetuated racism...be it systemic, acute, covert, overt...considering adding an image of an eagle, the flag, the thin blue line flag (which some how people are ignoring as desecration) to each post for protection...I might even take the all caps topic title approach, haven't decided yet. 

I knew you had a bad case of TDS, did not realize you had also come down with EPE-DS

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

the anthem isn't controversial. it was never why Kaep took a knee...and had that been the policy he would've found another way to protest. 

It’s obvious that millions of Americans view it as disrespectful to kneel during the anthem.  This being the case, he possibly hurt his cause more than helping it.  Had he found another way to protest, he might have gained support and his protests could have made a tangible difference.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 4

39 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm honestly not trying to be glib here (I know...I'm "self" aware enough to know that's rare and might need a caveat), but your logic is basically saying you would rather drop the anthem altogether than allow 1,2, 20 people to silently protest during it. 

I don't care what they do, I don't watch the NFL. I believe the Anthem was mandated by the Commissioner at some point during WW2. Unmandate it and play the game if it causes controversy or stay in the locker room if you want. You want it played for the opportunity to protest? Why? It is entertainment not a political event.  

Your statement that is is not controversial is incorrect. Many people on the left actually don't like it and claim it is militaristic, promotes nationalism and has subtle references to slavery etc...  I don't agree with the statements in this link but here it is for your perusal.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-real-controversy-over_b_11936870

As for me I stand when it is played and honor my country and those who have fought to defend it. 

I added this link from a Kaepernick supporter...

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/28/colin-kaepernick-is-righter-than-you-know-the-national-anthem-is-a-celebration-of-slavery/

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

No National Anthem at football game? Might as well eliminate the Fighter Jet flyovers.  Who needs military Airborne troopers parachuting in to football or baseball stadiums?  Blue Angels? Who needs them.  Too much “military power” optics for people I guess.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Says the person who changed his to CK  - guess you are good to support him, but I am bad for supporting law enforcement

Just as you could ignore mine, of course you won't/can't

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1