3 hours ago, Quoner said:

You tried to position yourself as an expert vs. a guy also in the building to shout down others.

Nope.  Sorry you took it that way.  My only intention was to let folks know I was involved with a hospital that was going through the process of preparing for the pandemic.

Also, one of the articles I noted above was an editorial from 1968.  Either way, it proves that the government has failed at managing this and other services they are charged with managing.  I think that is quite obvious, which was my point.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Nope.  Sorry you took it that way.  My only intention was to let folks know I was involved with a hospital that was going through the process of preparing for the pandemic.

Also, one of the articles I noted above was an editorial from 1968.  Either way, it proves that the government has failed at managing this and other services they are charged with managing.  I think that is quite obvious, which was my point.

Internet keeps receipts. 

On 4/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, UNTLifer said:

I have gone to work for the last couple of weeks in the hospital our company is affiliated with because our facility was shut down.  I am in the middle of it every day of the week and have read CDC directives telling ME's to code all deaths COVID related if the person dies and has been exposed.  For example, renal failure, on dialysis for a couple of years, in you 70's and they get exposed to COVID and die, death is coded to the virus without taking into consideration underlying conditions.  it is wrong.

I am not making shit up.  I work in medical wellness.  My facility was shutdown a couple of weeks ago and I have been working on our main hospital campus during this pandemic.  I am updated daily so I can communicate to my employees, I sit in hospital director's meetings daily to get updates on the virus in our community and surrounding areas, so yes, I have inside and professional knowledge.  I have seen the CDC directive.  You are full of shit and offensive and reckless for making assumptions when you obviously are clueless.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Quoner said:

Internet keeps receipts. 

And at what point in there did I refer to having medical credentials or expertise?  Again, was just providing some background as to where I was coming from and my involvement in the process.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

Trayvon Martins mother is running for office and says we need more police, not less, and they need better training.

This is a few days old but I think it is relevant to the discussion.

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/trayvon-martins-mom-says-dont-defund-police-qualifies-run-office/NHMYVPAWYJELBL2PCC75RAUON4/

I would think training would be vital. I like the way, at least from what I think I understood, that based on the executive order funding for training will be tied to training that will focus on de-escalation tactics, banning choke holds, only used where an officer’s life is in danger, and steps to improve the  government’s ability to track officers with a history of excessive force complaints. I know some will complain that it's not enough, but it's a start.

On a side note the Gracie Barra Jujitsu location where my son trains has started providing training classes for law enforcement officers

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Better screening of police candidates and something more than an ITT tech education required. 

I'm guessing you've never gone through the hiring process, extensive background check, oral boards, psych tests, polygraphs, medical exams, and even additional rounds of interview panels. What else would you like to see done during the hiring process?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Guilt by association?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/tucker-carlson-stepmother-of-police-officer-charged-in-rayshard-brooks-shooting-fired-from-her-job-company-releases-statement?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro

The company says she violated policy. Apparently this is just a mere coincidence. What are the chances? 

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

Interesting.  Being an HR Director, she would know the in's and out's of the business.  I would guess there will be a lawsuit if this wasn't handled correctly.  If it was, she will go quietly.

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Interesting.  Being an HR Director, she would know the in's and out's of the business.  I would guess there will be a lawsuit if this wasn't handled correctly.  If it was, she will go quietly.

Quiet settlements bring quiet departures. That is always a possibility. Cost vs benefits.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

I'm guessing you've never gone through the hiring process, extensive background check, oral boards, psych tests, polygraphs, medical exams, and even additional rounds of interview panels. What else would you like to see done during the hiring process?

More is needed, obviously. How many counties are extensive as you claim? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Really? Were you rejected when you applied? Just trying to understand your comment.

Nope. And you deduced I was rejected from my comment? You’re  insinuating our NT degrees are worth as much as a degree from ITT tech? Hmmmm

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Nope. And you deduced I was rejected from my comment? You’re  insinuating our NT degrees are worth as much as a degree from ITT tech? Hmmmm

You do realize we have Alumni on this board who are in law enforcement so you were directly insulting them and NT

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You do realize we have Alumni on this board who are in law enforcement so you were directly insulting them and NT

I’m very aware of that. Not insulting them, but if I came off that way, then I apologize. 
Not all counties screen as well as others. It would be interesting to see the requirements of our own local law enforcement. Minimum education requirements should be raised, imo. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

More is needed, obviously. How many counties are extensive as you claim? 

Those are your typical hiring processes for US agencies. 

Standard procedure:

Initial application

Written exam

Physical exam

Personal History Statement which is literally a book covering your entire life. All your family, your complete education, every job you have ever held, and your complete financial history. 

Oral Board interview which consists of 3-10 members of the agency you are applying with, that goes into every bit of detail you put into your personal history statement, as well as detailed questions regarding law enforcement, and then several scenario based questions in which you answer how you would handle a situation. 

If you pass the oral board, then comes the background investigation.  Which can take months, and often includes the background investigator driving to each place of employment to personally view your employment records.

If you make it this far, sometimes there will be another oral board. If i didn't properly convey how stressful they are the first time, they are basically interrogations, in which every answer you give is wrong.

So after all that, comes the interview with the head of th agency, be it the chief or the sheriff.

If they give the final approval, then you go take your 

Medical exam

Polygraph

And psychological exam. 

The process typically takes at a minimum 3 months, and that is extremely fast. I've seen the process take a full year just to be turned down. 

So, again, what else would you like to see done as part of the hiring process? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

i think your question is the right one.  many out there are claiming for changes and to do something about it, but what more could be done in the hiring process?

now i do think they should take complaints/bad choices officers make while on the job much more seriously, but i have no idea how much better departments can do when hiring someone (assuming everything you wrote is true of most departments)

and there is no way in hell i would want to be a police officer...thank ya'll for doing the job that i wouldn't do

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

Those are your typical hiring processes for US agencies. 

Standard procedure:

Initial application

Written exam

Physical exam

Personal History Statement which is literally a book covering your entire life. All your family, your complete education, every job you have ever held, and your complete financial history. 

Oral Board interview which consists of 3-10 members of the agency you are applying with, that goes into every bit of detail you put into your personal history statement, as well as detailed questions regarding law enforcement, and then several scenario based questions in which you answer how you would handle a situation. 

If you pass the oral board, then comes the background investigation.  Which can take months, and often includes the background investigator driving to each place of employment to personally view your employment records.

If you make it this far, sometimes there will be another oral board. If i didn't properly convey how stressful they are the first time, they are basically interrogations, in which every answer you give is wrong.

So after all that, comes the interview with the head of th agency, be it the chief or the sheriff.

If they give the final approval, then you go take your 

Medical exam

Polygraph

And psychological exam. 

The process typically takes at a minimum 3 months, and that is extremely fast. I've seen the process take a full year just to be turned down. 

4 year degree.

Everything you listed are things most decent people can pass: physical exam, polygraph? 

written exam? How heavily scrutinized is that? Be honest. 

background check? Again, what did the individual do special here other than stay out of trouble like most Americans?

oral board? Ok, pressure testing. Some validity there.

Nothing you listed tests critical thinking. Which I think is a major problem. Bachelors degree minimum required, imo. Then 12months of training at the police academy with semi annual refreshers on de-escelation. 

And No, I don’t want the police disbanded. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

4 year degree.

Everything you listed are things most decent people can pass: physical exam, polygraph? 

written exam? How heavily scrutinized is that? Be honest. 

background check? Again, what did the individual do special here other than stay out of trouble like most Americans?

oral board? Ok, pressure testing. Some validity there.

Nothing you listed tests critical thinking. Which I think is a major problem. Bachelors degree minimum required, imo. Then 12months of training at the police academy with semi annual refreshers on de-escelation. 

If it's such an easy process, why does it eliminate so many from the testing process?  

I can sit here and tell you that the process is not easy in any way, and you're still not going to believe me. What could I possibly know about it?  I'd suggest you actually go through the process yourself. See what it's really like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

If it's such an easy process, why does it eliminate so many from the testing process?  

I can sit here and tell you that the process is not easy in any way, and you're still not going to believe me. What could I possibly know about it?  I'd suggest you actually go through the process yourself. See what it's really like. 

I believe you in that the process isn’t easy. Never disagreed there. It just needs to focus on weeding out more of the population that lacks critical thinking. Like I said, 4 year degrees is a good place to start. 

• Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

I believe you in that the process isn’t easy. Never disagreed there. It just needs to focus on weeding out more of the population that lacks critical thinking. Like I said, 4 year degrees is a good place to start. 

I think this board is plenty of proof a four year degree doesn’t inoculate people from racism and ignorance.

I am curious about the background investigation. For my job, mine was about six months. And I don’t carry a gun. 
I think the screening probably weeds out a lot of bad actors but I am curious if the process is ongoing. I have to answer for my actions regularly and have a full review every five years. And medical. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I think this board is plenty of proof a four year degree doesn’t inoculate people from racism and ignorance.

I am curious about the background investigation. For my job, mine was about six months. And I don’t carry a gun. 
I think the screening probably weeds out a lot of bad actors but I am curious if the process is ongoing. I have to answer for my actions regularly and have a full review every five years. And medical. 

Sadly, there is probably no screening process for any positions that weed out all of the bad people. Not to mention events in their lives after they are on the job. Based on sheer volumes the slightest number of "misses" can be devastating results 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1