RIP Jimmy Gales

Cooley

Little side note on Coach Gales.  If he had not led the Mean Green to the NCAA tournament in 1988, North Texas State would never have been recorded in the list of schools who made the tournament.  The school changed its name to University of North Texas the next year.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

My Mom got to know him pretty well when she wrote for the NT Daily back in the 70's.  Years later when he was head coach, he still recognized my father when he saw him running through campus (my dad ran track and cross country at NT and still ran several miles a day around the school after he had gone to "the real world") and asked about how they were doing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Harry or anyone(Cooley) know of any arrangements or funeral home etc.Please post Jimmy was a GOOD COACH & BETTER MAN

@ttunt1970 I have not seen one yet.  If anyone comes across one please post it for us.  Thanks. 

20 hours ago, CMJ said:

My Mom got to know him pretty well when she wrote for the NT Daily back in the 70's.  Years later when he was head coach, he still recognized my father when he saw him running through campus (my dad ran track and cross country at NT and still ran several miles a day around the school after he had gone to "the real world") and asked about how they were doing.

I ran track as well and got to have a few conversations with him when we'd be working out in the weight room and BB was doing their off-season strength trainibg.  Great guy!  I remember talking to him about my HS coach who was a multiple state champ from a small school and he was intrigued.  "XXX was your coach?  That guy could play!" 

I was a rabid fan during the success of the late 80s.  Getting to the tournament was awesome! 

RIP Coach, you were a great man!

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

My dad went to the ncaa tournament game, and said that was one heck of an adventure. Rip Coach Gales

My 8th grade son and I flew with team to Salt Lake where we played North Carolina at University of Utah arena. Our pep band played" 3 blind mice "when refs missed an obvious call. We say Mavericks play Utah Jazz the night before. Great trip.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1